Overclocking my laptop GPU

Shayannike.ps3

I was wondering if I could overclock my GT 230m

since I have an i7 720QM & 8GB of ram, and I can run titanfall with high setting (with only textures at medium and shadows on medium) with 28 fps, and I wanted to overclock my gpu to get a descent over 35 fps. So can I overclock my GPU? If so, what would the limit for my overclocking?

Don't OC a laptop. Just don't. THe heat output is desastrous.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Especially on a laptop that old...

Especially on a laptop that old...

I'm Replacing my fan with a new one so yeah, and I also have another external fan (connects with a USB). It still wont work?

You can OC, but it's not worth it unless you have a higher end system. The additional heat output is stupidly high, and something that old, well it's gonna struggle to deal with it. Same goes for OC'ing your CPU. An additional fan, like a big ass 12" in fan for a cooling pad would help some, but again, it's just not worth it, you won't be able to push it far before shit gets out of control.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

I'm Replacing my fan with a new one so yeah, and I also have another external fan (connects with a USB). It still wont work?

It might work, it's just a bad idea.

I was wondering if I could overclock my GT 230m

since I have an i7 720QM & 8GB of ram, and I can run titanfall with high setting (with only textures at medium and shadows on medium) with 28 fps, and I wanted to overclock my gpu to get a descent over 35 fps. So can I overclock my GPU? If so, what would the limit for my overclocking?

Google Translated:

I was wondering if i could cook my GT 230M

since I have an i7 720QM & 8GB of ram, and I can run titanfall with high setting (with only textures at medium and shadows on medium) with 80c, and i wanted to cook my gpu to get a decent over 350c. So can i cook my GPU? If so, what would be the best tool for the job?

You can try use MSI Afterburner but monitor the temperatures very closely.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Laptop cooling solutions you see imposed by makers are made for THOSE SPECIFIC MODELS & the STOCK CLOCKS that model has.

Adding extra heat will surpass it's dissipation limits and end up making your hardware fail.

@ stock laptops already run quite hot (when being used, not idle obviously)

Your Decision,...Your Risk

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

You can OC, but it's not worth it unless you have a higher end system. The additional heat output is stupidly high, and something that old, well it's gonna struggle to deal with it. Same goes for OC'ing your CPU. An additional fan, like a big ass 12" in fan for a cooling pad would help some, but again, it's just not worth it, you won't be able to push it far before shit gets out of control.

Will the MSI afterburner help?"

It will help you kill your laptop faster.

SERIOUSLY DON'T BLOODY DO IT.

This isn't one of those.. "Well I warned him Posts..."

Nor is it,......."FFS Sucked in I told you so... you didn't listen... "

Just don't do it, you'll only anger yourself, and others when it BRICKS THE SYSTEM and you post WHY WHY WHY later on when it does fail.

And it will.

Laptops/Notebooks 99% of the time, cannot be fixed when the GPU dies, 99% of the time, NOT-Interchangeable/Fix'able!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Not really. All it's going to do is let you push it, and monitor temperatures, but you're still going to get very little increase for the shit tons of extra heat that will be output. Simply put, your laptop is underpowered, in my opinion, for gaming.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Then how can i get a performance boost

Yup.+The+other+team+always+seems+to+be+h

I overclocked my laptop GPU +20% over the core so that i can get a noticeable FPS gain but i make sure the temp for both CPU and GPU didn't reach over 85c. Most of the time the temps will hover just under 80c but i had to disable the CPU TurboBoost to achieveed that. Hardware in question is Intel i7-2630QM + AMD HD 6770M. 

Your laptop is too old and if i recall correctly, 720QM temp is off the chart. You probably will kill it pretty quickly.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Not really. All it's going to do is let you push it, and monitor temperatures, but you're still going to get very little increase for the shit tons of extra heat that will be output. Simply put, your laptop is underpowered, in my opinion, for gaming.

So my GPU core speed is now 500Mhz if I just slightly OC it to 625Mhz 

and my memory speed from 800 mhz to 983 mhz 

Would that still overheat and cause hardware damage?

Very well could, really depends on how lucky you got. Yours, very well could go past that before temps become an issue, however, that's a low chance given the hardware, and the age of the hardware. Again, you can do it, just do small increments of say 10, and watch your temps the whole time, I things start hitting the 80's on GPU, stop.

Because we all live in different places, with different temps everyday, it's never easy to just blatantly say "Thats how hot it's gunna get" because we all have different ambient temps in our houses.

Fans play an important role, to help,...lift the back of the laptop up and prop it on a book, so you have a gap underneath it for airflow. (Also aim a fan at this gap)

You have to first find out yourself, like we all do, how hot it gets @ stock, if its under 80-85*c then you may have room to play with.

If you gunna go ahead & overclock anyway,.... Aim for always under 85*c and go from there but even still, prolonged gaming @ 85*c & higher (it WILL climb) is GOING TO KILL IT FASTER THAN YOU THINK.

(And as stated, all laptops vary, yet most hold the common trait - shit for overclocking)

/you were warned