GTX 980 and GTX 970

Yes its totaly personal, realy.

I like both AMD and Nvidia gpu´s.

Just if all the rumours that i have read about the new maxwell gpu´s, they just dont impress me.

If the rumours are right the GTX980 will not beat a GTX780Ti, This means that it will be inbetween a 780 and 780Ti.

If i look at the rumoured prices of those new maxwell cards, then in my opinnion the 290 is better bang for my euro.

I personaly dont realy care about the software feutures that Nvidia cards have to offer, simply because AMD cards also have theire own equilivants to most of them.

In the end a GPU Nvidia or AMD choice is just a personal thing for everyone.

Allways choose the brand which makes you feel the most comfortable.

And if you have any doubt which way AMD or Nvidia to go, then its allways good to ask some advice.

But never let you misslead from fanboys / girls of both sides, spewing allot of irrelevant nonsense.

Allways choose for the card, that makes you feel happy.

Because at the end i dont care which card you choose :D

LOL...very well said! I use to have 6950 Crossfire and I know that AMD drivers have come a long way since then but there are many other reasons I choose Nvidia too. I am most interested in the lower power, lower heat, lower noise, and the ARM core possibilities. I am the type of enthusiast that buys an 80PLUS Platinum rated power supply for the 2% extra power efficiency! Lower price would make it a no brainer for me so I hope Nvidia finally shows us some love on the pricing as rumored...but I'm not going to bet my left testicle on it! :P

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

That's great! I wish I could afford liquid cooling right now but it's just not in the cards. I am planning CM Nepton 280L with Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM fans x4 in push/pull. I should have this up and running by Oct. 1st which is my birthday. It's the best I can do for the time being. I consider EK blocks to be the best and will use them myself when I finally do custom loops again. I am trying to get the product manager at Cooler Master on board for my computer case concept but so far he is really busy! My case concept allows for (3) 280/240mm radiators in push/pull configuration. I know I would love it because I love 140mm fans for increased airflow and lower noise. I already know I am going to have to remove the top from my CM HAF XM in order to do push/pull. I wish there was another 140mm friendly case but the XM is still the best option I can find. The NZXT H630 is a possibility but I wonder how much airflow is restricted due to it being a silent case. There's no fans around the GPU area either which is always a consideration for me. I would have to liquid cool a GTX 980 myself.

I hear you on the 140mm fans, I am the same way. I am planning two 280mm rads in my 350D, the top 30mm thick in pull and the front 80mm in push/pull. That is really all the room the case has to offer.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

People love to upgrade to rumours...

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

People love to upgrade to rumours...

Hell yeah!! its cheaper than upgrading with released cards :P

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I'm looking forward to how much the 780s will drop in price! If they drop quite a bit I may even go dual SLI with them! :)

Hell yeah!! its cheaper than upgrading with released cards :P

Good one! :)

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

Good one! :)

You do have a valid point though. We still dont really know anything for sure about these cards. But in a few day's we will have all of the answers.

I'm looking forward to how much the 780s will drop in price! If they drop quite a bit I may even go dual SLI with them! :)

You can already get the Asus DCUII 780 for under $400 on newegg. I would be really really surprised if it goes too much lower.

You do have a valid point though. We still dont really know anything for sure about these cards. But in a few day's we will have all of the answers.

That's what I'm waiting for. Nvidia can name it Jen-Hsun 980 at the last second, who knows...

Spoiler

Spoiler

That's what I'm waiting for. Nvidia can name it Jen-Hsun 980 at the last second, who knows...

They are gonna name this line after the power ranges, I'm calling it right here, right now. We know none of them can keep a numerical naming scheme strait, so they are gonna try something new. :P

They are gonna name this line after the power ranges, I'm calling it right here, right now. We know none of them can keep a numerical naming scheme strait, so they are gonna try something new. :P

Hope it won't be 980, I want to be surprised! :D

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hope it won't be 980, I want to be surprised! :D

Lol they should name them all after action movie stars, and not tell anyone what the pecking order is. Let the people buy whichever star they thought was the toughest. I'm buying the Chuck Norris card, its almost certainly way better than the Jackie Chan card... :D

Rumours everywhere.

New topic: After the 9xx generation, are they gonna come up with 1xxx ? It's SO LAME. "Hey look, just got my brand new 1080." what the hell.

I'd love if they would come up with letters and numbers combined like AMD. Something like "Hey look, just got my brand new G9 666 GTX BLASTER". 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

Lol they should name them all after action movie stars, and not tell anyone what the pecking order is. Let the people buy whichever star they thought was the toughest. I'm buying the Chuck Norris card, its almost certainly way better than the Jackie Chan card... :D

I'm going with Leslie Nielsen in Naked Gun card! Might as well turn out to be a special edition card or something. :D Just look at this badass, Chuck's got nothing on him.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Rumours everywhere.

New topic: After the 9xx generation, are they gonna come up with 1xxx ? It's SO LAME. "Hey look, just got my brand new 1080." what the hell.

I'd love if they would come up with letters and numbers combined like AMD. Something like "Hey look, just got my brand new G9 666 GTX BLASTER". 

I have wondered the same thing. I wont even venture speculation as to what they will do.

Technically they do numbers and letters, these are GTX-900's but people always just leave the GTX off. There was some GT cards before the GTX line.

I'm starting to think that the 980 will be a huge disappointment.

They absolutely didn't go all out on it. It seems more like they created the 900 series just to cash on people thinking new generation: better cards & they buy.

If the latest rumours are true, including a pricetag of 600 dollar, than AMD has 50 % more performance to offer for the same price... (R9 290 crossfire).

And for paying 60 % more you get a R9 295X that has 70-80% more performance + Watercooling! -> while normally performance scales bad compared to how much you pay.

Ain't really a fight, AMD wins extremely easy...

The GTX 980 would have to cost max 500 dollar to consider it, as 1 card has some advantages above a 2-cards config.

If the GTX 980 performs worse than the 780 ti + costs 600 dolar = epic fail. If either one of them is true it would already be a fail in my eyes.

Considering they used less cores, has lower wattage etc it also says Nvidia didn't even try... they just want to get more money for something which in my eyes is less.

I'm starting to think that the 980 will be a huge disappointment.

They absolutely didn't go all out on it. It seems more like they created the 900 series just to cash on people thinking new generation: better cards & they buy.

If the latest rumours are true, including a pricetag of 600 dollar, than AMD has 50 % more performance to offer for the same price... (R9 290 crossfire).

And for paying 60 % more you get a R9 295X that has 70-80% more performance + Watercooling! -> while normally performance scales bad compared to how much you pay.

Ain't really a fight, AMD wins extremely easy...

The GTX 980 would have to cost max 500 dollar to consider it, as 1 card has some advantages above a 2-cards config.

If the GTX 980 performs worse than the 780 ti + costs 600 dolar = epic fail. If either one of them is true it would already be a fail in my eyes.

Considering they used less cores, has lower wattage etc it also says Nvidia didn't even try... they just want to get more money for something which in my eyes is less.

You could be right, but until it actually launches, it is really hard to say. 

But consider this, lets assume the rumors are all true:

780: Launch price of $649, TDP 250W, 3GB VRAM

980: Launch price of $599, TDP 180W, 4GB VRAM, and supposedly faster than a 780.

I'm not sure it will be worth it for the 700 series card owners to jump on the 900's but for people using older cards, I do see it as an improvement. The price will come down in a month or two, it always does.

I'm not sure I would call that a failure just yet. 

You could be right, but until it actually launches, it is really hard to say. 

But consider this, lets assume the rumors are all true:

780: Launch price of $649, TDP 250W, 3GB VRAM

980: Launch price of $599, TDP 180W, 4GB VRAM, and supposedly faster than a 780.

I'm not sure it will be worth it for the 700 series card owners to jump on the 900's but for people using older cards, I do see it as an improvement. The price will come down in a month or two, it always does.

I'm not sure I would call that a failure just yet. 

Cosidering AMD will release R9 380 in the near distant future with watercooling, and probably a better card in comparison, I must say AMD > Nvidia. (While for the first i thought about buying a Nvidia card, seems more and more likely it will become AMD after all)

Cosidering AMD will release R9 380 in the near distant future with watercooling, and probably a better card in comparison, I must say AMD > Nvidia. (While for the first i thought about buying a Nvidia card, seems more and more likely it will become AMD after all)

You are doing a lot of speculation there lol. I have absolutely nothing against AMD, I just find it odd that some people are already declaring a winner between two card series that haven't come out yet, and that we have exactly zero solid indications of performance...

Patience my friend.

You are doing a lot of speculation there lol. I have absolutely nothing against AMD, I just find it odd that some people are already declaring a winner between two card series that haven't come out yet, and that we have exactly zero solid indications of performance...

Patience my friend.

Well, it's very doubtfull that Nvidea will be able to match the gaps I mentioned. It's seems very unlikely that their new card will be worthy for those who only look at performance. I hope they prove me wrong, but I strongly doubt it.

Assuming the pricing of $500-$550 rumor is true, GTX 980. I might be able to go to $600, but any further and I'm buying a 780.

I would just get a 290x but I need CUDA for 3D modeling

My PC: MSI X99s SLI PLUS///Intel i7 5820k///Corsair H100i///Crucial DDR4 12GB///EVGA Supernova Gold 750w G2///ASUS GTX 1080 Strix///Phanteks Enthoo Luxe///Intel 730 240GB SSD///WD Blue 1TB///Intel 6250 WiFi
Current Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598///Corsair K70 LUX///Logitech MX Master///Razer Destructor 2///Saitek X52///Acer X34 Predator

Well, it's very doubtfull that Nvidea will be able to match the gaps I mentioned. It's seems very unlikely that their new card will be worthy for those who only look at performance. I hope they prove me wrong, but I strongly doubt it.

AMD cards have had a better Performance per dollar ratio for a few generations, and I do not expect that to change in the near future. But there are not that many consumers who only look at performance anymore, more and more people want a more well rounded card. As of late, that has largely meant going with an Nvidia card.

AMD cards have had a better Performance per dollar ratio for a few generations, and I do not expect that to change in the near future. But there are not that many consumers who only look at performance anymore, more and more people want a more well rounded card. As of late, that has largely meant going with an Nvidia card.

Well if you'd ask me I'd rather point to bad knowledge many people have of the real performance of graphics cards and better marketing of Nvidia.

Well if you'd ask me I'd rather point to bad knowledge many people have of the real performance of graphics cards and better marketing of Nvidia.

There are always a certain number of under informed GPU buyers, as all markets, but I don't know if they make up a very large portion of anyone's sales. Especially in cards over the $300 mark. I have no facts or stats to back that up, just a gut feeling.

Why do you think many people are under informed on the real performance of graphics cards? Just curious. 

There are always a certain number of under informed GPU buyers, as all markets, but I don't know if they make up a very large portion of anyone's sales. Especially in cards over the $300 mark. I have no facts or stats to back that up, just a gut feeling.

Why do you think many people are under informed on the real performance of graphics cards? Just curious. 

Same as with memory.

You'd be suprised how many people think that mhz of memory = the speed of it.

Luckely this number seems to have gotten smaller past years, but still a lot of people think it.