GTX 980 and GTX 970

What CPU and how is it? I thought about going X99 but changed my mind and decided to wait for Skylake...

5820k, and it's everything I expected(first build btw). If you already have a decent computer waiting for Skylake seems the 'better' option.

The reason people recommend reference cards for SLI is that they cool better when stacked right next to another card. In your case you will have an open between the two cards. Because of this, I would go for your favorite aftermarket cooler.

Yeah that seems to be the better option, the Gigabyte 980 runs around 20 C less than the reference cooler. The only thing now is, which non-reference card? 

Yeah that seems to be the better option, the Gigabyte 980 runs around 20 C less than the reference cooler. The only thing now is, which non-reference card? 

I havent seen enough reviews of 980's with aftermarket coolers to get a good reading on the options just yet.  But if things are similar to the previous generations, EVGA, MSI, Asus and Gigabyte all will have very good options.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I havent seen enough reviews of 980's with aftermarket coolers to get a good reading on the options just yet.  But if things are similar to the previous generations, EVGA, MSI, Asus and Gigabyte all will have very good options.

Yeah... The only one I can find is the Gigabyte G1: 64 C(load) vs 79 C (load) on the reference.

Another thing is I have a top mounted radiator, wouldn't the heat from the non-reference cards be sucked into the radiator, or would it not make much of a difference?

Yeah... The only one I can find is the Gigabyte G1: 64 C(load) vs 79 C (load) on the reference.

Another thing is I have a top mounted radiator, wouldn't the heat from the non-reference cards be sucked into the radiator, or would it not make much of a difference?

I have never used an SLI setup so I am not the best person to answer that. I would imagine it will lower the efficiency of the radiator given the slightly higher case temps, but I cannot say how great of an effect this will have on your CPU temps.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

5820k, and it's everything I expected(first build btw). If you already have a decent computer waiting for Skylake seems the 'better' option.

Welcome to the expensive world of Intel! I did Sandy Bridge i5-2500k, then Ivy Bridge i7-3770k. It has been really hard for me to justify Haswell. Haswell-E makes a little bit more sense because of more PCIe lanes, etc. Broadwell is sounding pretty good too actually but Skylake/Skylake-E will have more reasons to warrant the upgrade.

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

It all depends on your case and where your intakes and exhausts are. Most builders usually intake cool air through the radiator. Aftermarket do exhaust some hot air into the case but if you have side fans exhausting or even intaking cooler air then you'll be fine. The bigger concern with aftermarket-cooled SLI is exhausting warm air from one card onto another. For this reason many choose reference or liquid cooling. 79 C is not that bad since many last generation cards ht the 80's. 64 C is better but it all depend on your cooling.

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

The Gigabyte GV-N970G1 sounds like it would be my second preference. I still have a hard time believing that ASUS STRIX 970 is flawed. Power efficient, highly overclockable, cool, and quiet is all I need! Also...to all those who are interested in EVGA ACX style 970...these were supposed to have backplates included. If you receive one without a backplate you can contact EVGA and they will provide you with a free backplate! I'm not sure about their GTX 980's but I am assuming that they would either include or provide them too. I like that manufacturers are figuring out that we hate sagging video cards! Hopefully MSI gets on board soon because it is making them look bad!

Graphics Newbie here,

What sort of advantages does the 970 have over the 780 Ti or vice versa? (Non SLI) I have looked at plenty of specs and benchmark tests but I'm more curious with it in concern of future proofing. (I don't plan on upgrading for at least another 5+ years after getting this build done)

As a side note, with SLI as an option in the future, which card would have more performance value?  I know that the 970 is still pretty new, but I figure someone probably has an answer to my question. 

Thanks fellow LTT users!

I just cancelled my ASUS STRIX GTX 970 order and bought ASUS GTX 780. Lots of price drops! Plus with Borderlands The Pre-Sequel and mail-in rebate it's just a sweet deal. With 2-day shipping at Amazon it was still cheaper than the STRIX 970. Very few left!  Guess I'll wait until the next series and then get a GTX 980. I like the idea of owning an *80 card anyway...it's my first! Even though the benchmarks for 970 are better than the 780, to me it is not that big of a deal. I know a good deal when I see one!

The 900 series is pretty incredible but Nvidia needs to plan their launches a little better. We have been waiting around for 2 years and then when the "official launch" comes they are still not available. GRRRR! :angry: