Multi Monitor functionality

s4spencer
Go to solution Solved by elecxonica,

In windows 8/7 videos will play in the background. Additionally, in 8 you get multiple task bars.

That said, if your game isn't new/good enough to support multiple displays, you can sometimes click out of the game due to the mouse moving outside the game area. additionally, some items may be interactive in the background, start displaying tool tips etc.

Finally, if the game requires a different resolution to your default, other apps will be shifted from where they normally sit.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this would be the appropriate place seeing as the other forum section is more hardware oriented?

It's been a while since I've tried swinging with a multi-monitor display. I'm not a huge fan of the "one large screen immersion" as I can never get over the bezels no matter how small, so I tend to

lean towards the functionality of multiple screens with different tasks on each monitor.

I remember back from a while (I think it was on XP or vista) there was a rather annoying issue with active windows, and with a few games, clicking on another window

could crash them or take away a lot of the functionality gained by having multiple screens (youtube videos would freeze as well).

Has any of this changed lately? Any OS' or tweaks that can support multiple active windows, or is alt+tab still just as effective for multi-tasking as switching between different monitors?

In windows 8/7 videos will play in the background. Additionally, in 8 you get multiple task bars.

That said, if your game isn't new/good enough to support multiple displays, you can sometimes click out of the game due to the mouse moving outside the game area. additionally, some items may be interactive in the background, start displaying tool tips etc.

Finally, if the game requires a different resolution to your default, other apps will be shifted from where they normally sit.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Many games support borderless window mode. So the game just runs in a window that is the native resolution of your monitor without any borders (i.e. it looks exactly like fullscreen) but you can click out of it and into your second or third monitor. That helps a great deal. That said, even if a game doesn't support borderless window mode you can just alt-tab out of them and back into them without any issues nowadays.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this would be the appropriate place seeing as the other forum section is more hardware oriented?

It's been a while since I've tried swinging with a multi-monitor display. I'm not a huge fan of the "one large screen immersion" as I can never get over the bezels no matter how small, so I tend to

lean towards the functionality of multiple screens with different tasks on each monitor.

I remember back from a while (I think it was on XP or vista) there was a rather annoying issue with active windows, and with a few games, clicking on another window

could crash them or take away a lot of the functionality gained by having multiple screens (youtube videos would freeze as well).

Has any of this changed lately? Any OS' or tweaks that can support multiple active windows, or is alt+tab still just as effective for multi-tasking as switching between different monitors?

Win 8.1 works flawlessly with multi monitor set ups (as did Win 7) and there are no multi-screen related crashes.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)