Closed Headphones Choices

DirtyFish
Go to solution Solved by ShearMe,

So I'm pretty much tossing up between the Ultrasone HFI 780 and the V-Moda LP2 but leaning towards the LP2 due to the fact that its build like a tank. Thanks for the help and suggestions, now to bite the bullet and finally get some good headphones.

Tell us what you picked and mark down this thread as answered for us, but most importantly - enjoy the sounds!  :D

So I'm not sure whether you guys know much about headphones and such but I feel it can't hurt to ask anyway.

I'm looking for some closed headphones somewhere in the sub $200AUD range for use with my iPod and PC because I'm kind of sick of the dodgy Apple ear buds as well as the ridiculously loud trains in Melbourne.
I've been looking at mainly the Sennheiser PX360 ($113AUD), Ultrasone HFI 780 ($169AUD) and the Audio Technica ATH-M50. I'm kind of leaning towards the HFI 780 because it has a short extendable cable and I like the looks. 

I'll be listening to mainly metal, and some random dubstep every now and then but I'm kind of new to this high quality audio equipment so more than likely I will enjoy anything that just sounds better than the iPood ones.

Does anyone know of any phones I have overlooked? Or have suggestions for which ones I should get?

Also, wheres the best place people buy this kind of stuff? Again, I'm new and have been looking at primarily Addicted to Audio and eglobal.

Any input would be useful

Thanks.

Every loud bang is a lesson learned.

Vmoda's are what I'd pick for portables. also I just received my audio technica ath ws55 the other day and love it so much that I wish I would have held out for the ws77 or the ws99 version instead the sound signature of the ath m50 with a big punchy bottom end. 

I like California Headphone Company headphones. I have a Laredo's and they are great and durable, I have thrown them on the floor countless times. They haven't broke yet. Just a tiny scratch. They are great for most purposes, even dubstep even though the bass is kinda nerfed, where they shine is anything with drums and a guitar, you can hear anything with them, each string plucked. I would recommend adding a few extra $10's and getting the Silverado's. They are gorgeous and over ear as well as more flexible. Laredo's are over ear for me, but I have smaller ears and ears that magically fit in them really well, they are priced at a very reasonable $100 but get the Silverado's. Heres a pick of both

http://i.imgur.com/56FnGJ7.jpg  http://i.imgur.com/JIIngLU.png

Sadly after I posted this I forgot how to put the pictures on the forum. Sorry.

Edited by naca1227

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

Thanks for the insanely quick replies

Vmoda's are what I'd pick for portables. also I just received my audio technica ath ws55 the other day and love it so much that I wish I would have held out for the ws77 or the ws99 version instead the sound signature of the ath m50 with a big punchy bottom end. 

I have looked at the V-Moda M-80 but it seems to be supra-aural, I would definitely prefer circumaural, I'm just more used to that since my headset is the same. I'll definitely keep it in mind though. I also don't like the idea of the cable coming from both sides, maybe I'm just scared of somehow choking myself. So I think I'll give the ws series a miss, thanks anyway.

I like California Headphone Company headphones. I have a Laredo's and they are great and durable, I have thrown them on the floor countless times. They haven't broke yet. Just a tiny scratch. They are great for most purposes, even dubstep even though the bass is kinda nerfed, where they shine is anything with drums and a guitar, you can hear anything with them, each string plucked. I would recommend adding a few extra $10's and getting the Silverado's. They are gorgeous and over ear as well as more flexible. Laredo's are over ear for me, but I have smaller ears and ears that magically fit in them really well, they are priced at a very reasonable $100 but get the Silverado's. Heres a pick of both

http://i.imgur.com/56FnGJ7.jpg  http://i.imgur.com/JIIngLU.png

Sadly after I posted this I forgot how to put the pictures on the forum. Sorry.

They actually look pretty sweet, durability is important to me as well. If I can find a store in Aus that has them that would be amazing, otherwise I won't be able to have a proper look. 

Thanks for the insanely quick replies

I have looked at the V-Moda M-80 but it seems to be supra-aural, I would definitely prefer circumaural, I'm just more used to that since my headset is the same. I'll definitely keep it in mind though. I also don't like the idea of the cable coming from both sides, maybe I'm just scared of somehow choking myself. So I think I'll give the ws series a miss, thanks anyway.

They actually look pretty sweet, durability is important to me as well. If I can find a store in Aus that has them that would be amazing, otherwise I won't be able to have a proper look. 

I don't know if you could. Online order only I am pretty sure.

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

I wasn't thinking of the m80 but was thinking of the crossfade lp, lp2 and m100 are all circumaural. the vmodas have a rugged design good steel hinges and hard clamshell carrying cases plus I think they all are phone compatible with controls and quick swappable cables (the thing that breaks the most on portables) 

I also forgot about the phillips uptowns. the uptowns don't collapse into themselves though. 

my m50 was my portable till now. 

ATH M50 i would recommend 

Yeah it definitely does look like a good option.

I wasn't thinking of the m80 but was thinking of the crossfade lp, lp2 and m100 are all circumaural. the vmodas have a rugged design good steel hinges and hard clamshell carrying cases plus I think they all are phone compatible with controls and quick swappable cables (the thing that breaks the most on portables) 

I also forgot about the phillips uptowns. the uptowns don't collapse into themselves though. 

my m50 was my portable till now. 

Ok, I'll have another look, just the site I was going through only showed the M80 under closed back. I'll have a look a look around and see what else I can find. Thanks for the suggestion

I really like my shure srh840 but I'm not sure what it costs down under.

if the 840's are over your budget I'd say look into the srh-440's

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

I just had a look at the LP/LP2, and they actually look awesome. Now to convince myself to spend a bit more and get them haha.

I really like my shure srh840 but I'm not sure what it costs down under.

if the 840's are over your budget I'd say look into the srh-440's

Yeah I have had a bit of look at a couple of shures but wasn's a massive fan.

So now I'm considering another headphone, I'll do some more research and figure out how much things will cost me. Hopefully everything turns out well.

if looks are any factor in your choice, the Beyerdynamic custom one pros are awesome! i have them atm

if looks are any factor in your choice, the Beyerdynamic custom one pros are awesome! i have them atm

I feel if I'm paying a fair whack of money for these things then for sure they should be something I like the look of, its part of the reason I like the LPs, but I think the Beyerdynamics are a bit above my price range.

I use a paid or Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 and love though, I do plan on upgrading to a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-A900X soon, I really like the feel of this series of headphones  I can wear them for hours and not have any "ear fatigue" or sweaty ear syndrome. I'll just have to order more magnet mounts for my modmic  :ph34r:

Win10 - AMD 5800X, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Elite, RX 6800XT Midnight Black, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB, ARCTIC Liquid Freezr II 360-ARGB, Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB, Cooler Master V850, Fractal Design Meshify 2

unRAID - AMD 1700X, GIGABYTE B450 Aorus Pro, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB, Noctua NH-D9L, WD Red 4TB x3, WD Green 2TB, Intel 160GB SSD, Seasonic S12III 550W, Fractal Design Node 605

pfSense - Intel i5 4570S, ASUS H97I-PLUS, Samsung Green 8GB, Zalman CNPS80G, WD Scorpio Blue 320GB, EVGA SuperNova GA 550W, Fractal Design Node 304

So I'm pretty much tossing up between the Ultrasone HFI 780 and the V-Moda LP2 but leaning towards the LP2 due to the fact that its build like a tank. Thanks for the help and suggestions, now to bite the bullet and finally get some good headphones.

Tell us what you picked and mark down this thread as answered for us, but most importantly - enjoy the sounds!  :D

So I decided to get the LP2, mainly because they seem durable enough to last me a long time as well as the fact that they look pretty bitchen. Plus the difference in audio quality doesn't seem like something that would effect someone such as myself, being new to this high quality stuff. So $230 later, they are in the mail. Thanks for the help and suggestions.