os on ssd and programs files on Hdd? help?

anch2797
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

If you want your program seperated from the SSD, you don't need move "Program Files" folder... In fact don't move it, because you'll break Windows built-in programs.

When you install a program, you can pick the path you want to install the program. So in your case, it should be D:\<Program Name> or how ever you want.. like D:\Software\Best Software\Bestest of Best Software\<Program Name>. It doesn't mater. :)

For example:

Let's say you want want to install "anch2797's AWESOME SOFTWARE OF D00000M!!!!!"

You'll get to this screen, where you change the path from C:\Program Files (x86)\anch2797's AWESOME SOFTWARE, to D:\anch2797's AWESOME SOFTWARE, as demonstrated bellow:

setup_demo.png

That is all you have to do!

(yes, I just made a setup, just for you :) )

i built my pc recently and my drivers and program files are on the ssd because the os is there.my plan was to have my os on the ssd partition it then use the partion for cacheing then programs games and etc go on hdd but now im confused because everything is going on the sdd and i tried to change where the program files are so.... any help?

If you want to use the SSD as a cache, you need to install Windows on the HDD, then use a utility like Intel Smart Response technology or similar to set up the SSD as a cache.

I haven't done it personally, so I can't give you exact instructions, but it shouldn't be difficult.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

If you want your program seperated from the SSD, you don't need move "Program Files" folder... In fact don't move it, because you'll break Windows built-in programs.

When you install a program, you can pick the path you want to install the program. So in your case, it should be D:\<Program Name> or how ever you want.. like D:\Software\Best Software\Bestest of Best Software\<Program Name>. It doesn't mater. :)

For example:

Let's say you want want to install "anch2797's AWESOME SOFTWARE OF D00000M!!!!!"

You'll get to this screen, where you change the path from C:\Program Files (x86)\anch2797's AWESOME SOFTWARE, to D:\anch2797's AWESOME SOFTWARE, as demonstrated bellow:

setup_demo.png

That is all you have to do!

(yes, I just made a setup, just for you :) )

thanks for the help but what if a program doesn give me an option to move the directory when i install?

also how can i set my hdd to hold my photos,videos,music,etc... and not my sdd

and also can i still cache with my ssd with my os on it or not.

Sorry i got alot of questions

and thank you goodbytes for the personalized setup

thanks for the help but what if a program doesn give me an option to move the directory when i install?

also how can i set my hdd to hold my photos,videos,music,etc... and not my sdd

and also can i still cache with my ssd with my os on it or not.

Sorry i got alot of questions

and thank you goodbytes for the personalized setup

To move your personal files, create the folders on your D drive, and just go in C:\Users\YourUsername\ and right-click on the folders there, click on Properties. I believe it's in the Location tab, you can change where it resides.

All setup give you that option. Sometimes, you have click on "Custom" or "Advance" button when there is one (if there isn't it will ask you where you want to install it). I have not encounter a setup of a program that doesn't give you that option, or even heard about it. Installing programs on a different location beside Program Files, is quiet popular, actually.

As for moving your personal folders, do what farchord said, it's the best and easiest way.

Have you already installed windows? If not, follow this guide [sevenforums.com] when you install windows (you have to view the full PDF) to move user folders.

While it's certainly not recommended by MS, to move program files, create your new folders (you MUST make one called "Program Files (x86)" and another called "Program Files" otherwise some programs which install 32 and 64 bit components will break), move the files already in the folder via an elevated command prompt:

XCOPY "C:\Program Files" "[Drive Letter]\Program Files" /Q /H /E /K

(I think; do for (x86) as well) then change the registry values at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\" to your new location and, just to be safe, add a junction at the old location via elevated command prompt:

MKLINK /J "C:\Program Files" "[Drive Letter]\Program Files"

(Note that you will have to reboot to do this I think, and it may be necessary to do it at a system level command prompt via a recovery disk because you have to delete the original (empty) folders) for program files and program files x86.

I would advise you move program data too (it's a hidden folder) because that can also get quite large. I think it's covered by the tutorial linked above.

I have personally followed the first step of the tutorial, but the second step is purely theoretical for me.

If you've already installed Windows, the 2nd part will still work, but you must be VERY careful, and you MUST place the symbolic link otherwise you'll break everything. The first part, the easiest way is to make new folders and tell Windows to include them in their respective libraries.

HTTP/2 203

i tried what farchord said but thing is after i downloaded another thing of the internet it made a new dowloads folder shoul i change the destination?

also just extra google crome keeps saying its not the default browser even though i set it to be more than 6 times(i did move it from the ssd)

and skype keeps recreating a folder in my ssd,my nvidia drivers also keep going on my ssd and i cant move it.

i do have windows installed btw and i thinking maybe i should reinstall it onto my hdd and just cahce the entire ssd?

All drivers will be installed on your the drive where Windows is installed. There is nothing you can do about it. This is how Windows works.

However if you are talking about C:\Nvidia folder, that is just the drivers extracted, you can delete it once the drivers are installed. It's there for you, in the case you want a backup.

The reason why you have 2x Download folder, is that when you did what farchord said, Windows asked you if you wanted to move the folder, or simply make a new one. You had to click on Yes, that you want to move the folder. Delete the created download folder, go back to the properties of the Download folder, go under locations, click on Restore Default > Apply. Then click on 'Yes you want to move it', if asked, and repeat the process as farchordmentioned, once more, this time click on yes you want to move it. :)

That should fix that problem. Skype you should be solved now, as soon as you restart your computer.

As for Chrome, I have given up on it. Fast web browser... but hates customized OS, and missing essential basic features that even the early web browsers did support, like using Windows color profiles of monitors. So if it works now, great! If not, don't kill yourself.

All drivers will be installed on your the drive where Windows is installed. There is nothing you can do about it. This is how Windows works.

However if you are talking about C:\Nvidia folder, that is just the drivers extracted, you can delete it once the drivers are installed. It's there for you, in the case you want a backup.

The reason why you have 2x Download folder, is that when you did what farchord said, Windows asked you if you wanted to move the folder, or simply make a new one. You had to click on Yes, that you want to move the folder. Delete the created download folder, go back to the properties of the Download folder, go under locations, click on Restore Default > Apply. Then click on 'Yes you want to move it', if asked, and repeat the process as farchordmentioned, once more, this time click on yes you want to move it. :)

That should fix that problem. Skype you should be solved now, as soon as you restart your computer.

As for Chrome, I have given up on it. Fast web browser... but hates customized OS, and missing essential basic features that even the early web browsers did support, like using Windows color profiles of monitors. So if it works now, great! If not, don't kill yourself.

Could the download folder x2 be google chrome because i did download from google chrome...and i also think the skype thing is google chrome too if you are saying that it has these kinds of problems...

Nvm fixed the chrome thing about the downloads i didnt change google chromes directory