What would you use to record PC Gaming for YouTube?

Hey guys, 

I'm interested in starting a YouTube channel, I want to mostly do PC GAMING but also a little of console, but I don't the right equipment to get. I know the basics, but I don't know specifics. The basics would be: Microphone/Headset, Pop filter (optionally), Capture card (something that I stick in my PC to record game play from that PC, and occasionally console, but mostly PC), Video Editing Software, and anything else that I might have missed. I'm stressing the point of PC GAMING because some capture cards you stick into one PC that records another PC's game play, I have one PC that I want to record game play on, NOT TWO, that can record at a decent fps. Possibly a webcam.

Thanks. BTW Congrats Linus on the 1 million!! :)

For PC just use OBS, for console use the AVerMedia LGP LiiteGL-310.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Some advice:

1) I've never heard of you, nor has anyone else on the internet. You're not PewDiePie, nor will you ever take the place of PewDiePie. So why are you wanting to record PC gameplay? Unless you're a good reviewer or you have a good Twitch personality, then it's pointless and a waste of time and money for you.

2) If you think somehow you'll make it big time to outweigh the effort and money put into it, then instead of buying an expensive capture card just use Dxtory if you don't have an Nvidia card, or use Shadowplay if you have an Nvidia card to record your gameplay.

Hey guys, 

I'm interested in starting a YouTube channel, I want to mostly do PC GAMING but also a little of console, but I don't the right equipment to get. I know the basics, but I don't know specifics. The basics would be: Microphone/Headset, Pop filter (optionally), Capture card (something that I stick in my PC to record game play from that PC, and occasionally console, but mostly PC), Video Editing Software, and anything else that I might have missed. I'm stressing the point of PC GAMING because some capture cards you stick into one PC that records another PC's game play, I have one PC that I want to record game play on, NOT TWO, that can record at a decent fps. Possibly a webcam.

Thanks. BTW Congrats Linus on the 1 million!! :)

For PC, I use shadowplay as i have an Nvidia card

great piece of software

what gfx card do you have??

Looking for a job

As always, budget?

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

What brand of GPU are you using, maybe you could use Nvidia Shadow Play to record the videos.

If you want something that works both on PC and the consoles (which you did mention), maybe have a look at the AVerMedia Live Gamer Portable.

For editing it really depends what you already have or what you are willing to spend. This varies all the way from Windows Movie Maker to Adobe Premier Pro.

And please tell us your budget so we have an idea what you are willing to spend.

OSB and shadowplay

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

I have a GTX 770, but I've heard ShadowPlay affects the fps greatly. Don't have a budget!

I can not speak for console gaming recording (last thing I used was a Hauppauge HD PVR.)

Microphone: Start off with something like a Blue Snowball, Blue Yeti, or a AT2020, or start off with a kit, such as this, form Scarlett.

http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-Studio-Interface-Recording/dp/B00AW91CPG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1410470669&sr=8-4&keywords=2i2

I can not attest to the headset or microphone, however, do venture forth at your own risk. I love my Blue Snowball, but given the chance to re-do my decision, I would have gone with an AT2020

You'll need a mic stand, and a pop filter if you so choose.

Headset: The only headset I recommend anymore (based off of personal experience) is the DT-770 Pro from Beyerdynamic

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-770-PRO-250-ohms/dp/B0006NL5SM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410470741&sr=8-2&keywords=dt-770-pro

however AudioTechnica and Sennheiser are also well regarded.

Editing software: I use Final Cut Pro (Mac exclusive, however) Premiere Pro, or Vegas.

For recording, use shadowplay, if you have a compatible NVidia card. if not, look into OBS, or DxTory, or even FRAPS, however you will have greatly increased file sizes with fraps. The impact of recording with shadowplay has been negligible at best for me.

You'll need to find a balance between gaming hardware and workstation hardware. For me, that balance was an FX-series processor, and 16GB of 1866 RAM. it takes a bit of a hit on gaming, but still excels at editing.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I have a GTX 770, but I've heard ShadowPlay affects the fps greatly. Don't have a budget!

Where'd you hear that? One of the big selling points of ShadowPlay is that its performance hit is very minimal. Here's some benchmarks. You shouldn't notice much of a hit at all.

Shadowplay, its great, or OBS or Action

CPU: i7 4790k OC'd @ 4.6 ghz COOLER: Corsair H105 (SP 120mm Quiet Edition Fans) MOBO: ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 RAM: Kingston Hyper Fury 16GB (2x8) 1866mhz

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB HDD: WD Blue 1TB GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w 80+ Gold Fully Modular CASE: Fractal Arc Midi R2

OPTICAL DRIVE: Samsung DVD Burner OS: Win 7 64bit   Please do some research of your own before asking questions. Google and Youtube are your friend.

Where'd you hear that? One of the big selling points of ShadowPlay is that its performance hit is very minimal. Here's some benchmarks. You shouldn't notice much of a hit at all.

It absolutely destroys the FPS for a lot of people.

You can just use FRAPS and set the recording fps to 30 which doesn't cap your games fps so it will run smooth.

| CPU: Intel Skylake i5-6600K @ 4.5Ghz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2400Mhz | MOBO: GIGABYTE Z170XP-SLI | GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 980 | HDD: 2TB, 1TB, 3x 300GB | Monitors: 1920x1080 3x1 | Windows 7 x64 Ultimate |

Some advice:

1) I've never heard of you, nor has anyone else on the internet. You're not PewDiePie, nor will you ever take the place of PewDiePie. So why are you wanting to record PC gameplay? Unless you're a good reviewer or you have a good Twitch personality, then it's pointless and a waste of time and money for you.

2) If you think somehow you'll make it big time to outweigh the effort and money put into it, then instead of buying an expensive capture card just use Dxtory if you don't have an Nvidia card, or use Shadowplay if you have an Nvidia card to record your gameplay.

optimist-prime-negatron.jpg

It can just be a hobby you know. 

It doesn't. It's the best way to record gameplay if you have an Nvidia card capable of Shadowplay, which you do.

It can just be a hobby you know. 

All for an audience of one.

Seriously though, it's a waste of time at this point unless you stick out from everyone else doing Lets Plays and such.

Some advice:

Do you ever do things for fun, like ever?

PewDiePie once upon a time had 1 subscriber.

Apple, Microsoft, Google and Yahoo all started in some guys garage.

Oh and then there is this guy.

And now

A lot of people (including personal friends) swear by Fraps, but I'm quite happy with OBS (which is free, and that makes me happy in the pantaloons).

No idea about console, sorry... *cough* PC Master Race *cough*

-·- BitFenix Prodigy M (Arctic White) -·- Asus Maximus VII Gene -·- Intel Core i7-4790K -·- Corsair H100i -·- G.Skill Trident X 2133MHz CL9 32GB (4x8GB) -·- Sparkle Calibre GTX580 -·- Samsung 500GB 850 Evo SSD -·- WD Caviar Green 4TB -·- Cooler Master V700 -·- LG 25UM55 21:9 2560x1080 25" -·- Logitech G600 -·-

snip

I do in fact do things just for fun, like playing video games. I would also rather play video games than watch someone else play unless I'm eating and bored (often I'll just watch Netflix instead) or I want to know how to play better.

Like I said: "Seriously though, it's a waste of time at this point unless you stick out from everyone else doing Lets Plays and such."

Some advice:

You really are a douche.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

You really are a douche.

Sorry that you see it that way m8. I'm just being realistic.

Since a lot of you don't know how to read replies or take the entire post with context, I'll point out what I said: "Unless you're a good reviewer or you have a good Twitch personality, then it's pointless and a waste of time and money for you."

It's advice and something to take into account. I did not insult the OP.

Like I said: "Seriously though, it's a waste of time at this point unless you stick out from everyone else doing Lets Plays and such."

It's also about capturing personal gaming memories, to watch them in the future, show friends and whatnot.

I've had 250 subs for 5 years, I'm not chasing numbers or trying to do anything but capture and share the occasional awesome moment.

Its not a huge part of my life and I'm not wasting much time. Yet have many friends of friends comment and talk more about videos with me.

Doesn't hurt being nice and social to strangers andvideo sharing makes its easy to do.

Even weak pc's can use MSI to do 720p 30fps on 1core. That's a paddlin.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Hows this guy suppose to know in advance if hes a great reviewer or twitch personality unless he puts stuff out there and tries....

Or do you think pewdiepie thought he was the best and greatest when he started? No.. You start and see how it goes... The viewers will let you know how good or bad you are...

My advice would be to think carefully about doing things differently from others, not copy the good ones. Youve got more chance if you have ur own style of doing things

I have no signature

Sorry that you see it that way m8. I'm just being realistic.

Since a lot of you don't know how to read replies or take the entire post with context, I'll point out what I said: "Unless you're a good reviewer or you have a good Twitch personality, then it's pointless and a waste of time and money for you."

It's advice and something to take into account. I did not insult the OP.

I know exactly what you said, and its douchey. He can start a channel, record and upload videos purely to share his funny, epic, sad, frustration or profound moments in gaming if he wishes. If he get's views and potentially subs.. then that's a bonus. Just because there's successful and established Youtuber's does not mean he can't try to join them if he wishes. You don't have to be a good reviewer to be successful and people did good before twitch and continue to do so after it.

What you said isn't advice.

@Jabmaniax You could try Dxtory or Bandicam if you "acquire" from certain "peer sites". Failing that good old Fraps or you could try Overwolf.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

I use Shadowplay, no fps hit on my gtx770.

And do it, upload it to youtube. I did my first gaming Video yesterday and I already got 2 subs and very positive comments from other channels that have over thousand subscribers. Me: super proud of myself

And remember, you do it because it is fun. ;)

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

It doesn't. It's the best way to record gameplay if you have an Nvidia card capable of Shadowplay, which you do.

All for an audience of one.

Seriously though, it's a waste of time at this point unless you stick out from everyone else doing Lets Plays and such.

It isn't if you enjoy it. Really, the biggest killer of potential Youtube channels have always been 1) The unreasonable expectation of reaching Pewdiepie levels of fame 2) The consistent comparing of yourself to popular Tubers despite having the audience or the potential to gain an audience 3) Chasing after popularity as opposed to doing things that you really like to do, and 4) Putting way too much focus that it stops becoming fun and becomes more of a chore. 

Heck, if you look at all the popular Youtubers, they got to where they are because they're doing something that they really want to/like to do. If you lack that desire/focus/enthusiasm/ambition to get into this, then, AND ONLY THEN, will it not be truly worth it.

If OP really wants to do this, then there's little to no point of discouraging him otherwise. It'll be up to him as to whether or not he'll want to pursue or continue doing this.

PS: It's as realistic to think that he could do this and enjoy it or even have a following as it is to think that he could just quit. Please stop. Realism is not pessimisim. If you're being pessimistic, just use that as the term. 

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.