Integrated Graphics

I'm on a tight budget to build a computer, what do y'all think about intel's integrated graphics to keep the budget down. Then later when I get more money I could try to spring for a graphics card what do you guys think about all of that?

I'm also caught at what monitor I should use and I'm thinking about the Asus 21.5" VX228H any thoughts on any of this?

In the past when I have used integrated graphics it wast the best. I could play most games on low below 30fps and some very demanding games dont even render properly. For a monitor that size I wouldn't recommend it. You could go with a 30-50 dollar dedicated graphics card.

-The Robot

Depends what CPU you're going for, and your budget. If you've got a small budget and really don't have the money to splash out on a graphics card, then I guess you could wait and live with some not-as-great quality graphics. And, I'm not really sure about the monitor... I probably need a new monitor myself...

50Cent sweg.

Ignore The Robot's advice. A $30-50 card is way worse than the HD4600 on board graphics. You'll need to spend around $200 to make it worthwhile to NOT go with integrated graphics. Something like a R9 260X or better. And it's going to get better with Intel going to the HD5200 series with the next generation of chips.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Have you checked out the AMD A10 series (I believe the A10-7850 OR -7800 are the latest iterations)?

The on-board graphics are supposedly much better than Intel HD and you're also getting a fairly good processor thrown in the deal. The only issue is when it comes to adding your new graphics card you'll have spent money on integrated graphics that you won't need anymore. Unless of course you crossfire one of the suitable AMD cards with the in-built ones.

+1 ^

Going with an APU will be your best bet. In addition to having decent quality for the price, it offers you the unique chance to crossfire with a dedicated GPU at some point. Intel integrated graphics are generally not worth it.

CPU FX-8320 @ 4.2ghz Motherboard Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 (rev. 4) RAM 16gb G. Skill Ripjaws X 1866mhz GPU Gigabyte Windforce GTX970 4gb Case Custom Cooler Master Elite 430 Storage WD 1tb Black, OCZ 60gb SSD, Hitachi 160gb, Samsung 1tb PSU Corsair RM750 Display(s) Dell 2407WFP-HC, ViewSonic VA2226w Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX-Red Mouse Razer R.A.T. 5 Sound Logitech 2.1 Speaker Operating System Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, Windows 10 TP Tablet Wacom Intuos Pen & Touch Small

If you can deal with the integrated graphics for know and get a good GPU when you can. The iGPU should be more than sufficient for web browsing,although gaming is another story. If you can please do not try to rip yourself of with one a GPU in the under $100 dollar category.

Could you say what CPU you'd be getting?

Since you have plans to acquire a discrete GPU later, you should just buy the best CPU you can afford now. I'm running on an Intel HD 2000, it's 4 or 5 years old I think.

I run Dirt 3 on mixed settings (medium-low, off) at 1366x768

CS:GO 30FPS (lowest settings 720p) at various maps

Dota 2 30FPS mix of medium and low settings

Some older games would run just fine at 1600x900 with max settings except for AA and AF, something like old Source games (TF2, HL2, Portal, etc.)

The HD 4600 is a couple of notches higher. So you can churn out more with that.

Like I said, just get the best CPU you can buy now. I'd go with any i5, even the old sandy bridge i5 actually has better performance most of the time than AMD's quad cores.

Keep in mind, Broadwell comes out with with the same socket as Z97, Skylake comes 2H 2015 with DDR4 support.

I'm saying stick with Intel since you're not gonna play with the iGPU for very long and you said you're planning on upgrading later on.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

If you don't want to go the APU route, you could get a GT 730 or something and it'll do you better than any HD 4600. But the APU would probably be better choice for you, I think.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Intel just releases a new graphics driver for their haswell chips that boosts performance by a bit. Might be okay until you save up.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

If you are on a tight budget then get a APU from AMD the on chip gpu is better and is usually cheaper than a high end Intel cpu. You can play most modern games at acceptable frame rates at 1080p. 

You can play modern games with playable fps with a few additions.

I've been playing 64p BF4 on my HD4600 all week,../w 768p on a 27" 1080p TN no less, indoor maps are 50-70fps, outside maps are 35-60fps

35fps+ was my goal, I achieved it in all titles cept AC4:BF, which was 31fps average.

Your resolution will be low, but thats expected.

If you were gunna get fast RAM/MEM for an AMD system may as well for the Intel system too if that was the alternate choice.

Intel Integrated Graphics Model HD4600 Performance
Overclocked to 1650mhz (/w 1.2v) & Paired with 2133mhz DDR3 Memory
Captured with MSI Afterburner via the CPU (Stealing 5-10fps of performance overall)

Playlist of Modern TItles - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5ofzFlQXfuGY5pwsXIsONCRNHyIMmG_J

I made this with the intention of visually showing it in action, because I was seriously surprised @ what it could handle without just being rumored guesses.

AMD's APU is stronger for Graphics and higher resolutions, but Intels CPU side is stronger for CPU related tasks, and their GPU's can play the same things too, just at an ever lower resolution.

If both CPU Driven GPU's can do what you want 'FOR THE MEANTIME' then add in a discrete GPU later with either ecosystem, Intel or AMD is up to you.

Essentially the HD4600 will give you XB360/PS3 visuals @ a higher FPS & Texture Quality and the PC feature set (bigger maps) available to you.

^Which isn't bad, when its for the meantime...but yeah,.. AMD can provide more performance with their APU's @ the same detail levels.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz