New Build for School. Feedback wanted!

Hey guys.

I am currently planning a computer build that i will be using from mid-august when i start school.
The main use of the computer will be 3D-modeling/animation/rendering as well as video editing/rendering.
The rig needs to be able to handle (preferably very well) the following:

I would prefer if it could also handle the following:

I have put together a list of parts that i think will serve me well, but i am looking for ideas and suggestions for improvements. My budget is about 10,000 NOK (Norwegian Kroner) which is roughly 1700 USD (US dollars)
My goal is reasonable build that can handle the stuff mentioned above.

I have a case and a couple 24" monitors, so i will not need to spend any money on them.

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z, Socket-AM3+ (1679NOK/288USD)
Based on what i have read this board is rock solid and will not give me much (if any) trouble while OCing. Also, ROG connect is a bonus.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 8-Core Processor (1439NOK/247USD)
Moar power! And cheaper by far than the Intel equivalent.

CPU Cooling: Corsair H100 (FREE :D)
I got an H100 for 50% of the normal price a couple months ago and i am planning on using it. Right now its just sitting on my shelf.

I have chosen 2x8GB DIMMS so that i can upgrade in the future to 32GB without having to change all the DIMMS.

GPU: GTX 780?
I have an old Zotac 550ti AMP that i can use for the time before i get a new GPU.

SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB 2.5" (1699NOK/291USD)
I have no experience with SSDs, im using a 2tb WD Black drive atm. All work files will stored on my file server.

PSU: Corsair CX 750M, 750W PSU Modular (779NOK/134USD)
I want to have enough power to OC both the 8350 and the graphics card. Some headroom would not be a bad thing.

Total without a graphics card ~ 6695NOK/1149USD

Also, if anyone has a good suggestion for a 10GBe network card (single or dual port) i am looking to upgrade the link between my file server and main rig. This is not something i would buy right now but within a year or so.

Feedback and suggestions wanted and welcome!

PSU: 600 Watt should be more then enough.

Ram: 1600mhz is enough, i don't see any reason for 2400mhz ram other then throwing money out of the window.

SSD: I found Samsung SSDs the most reliable. Try to find a Samsung 830 or 840 pro for a similar price point

And if you got money for throwing out of the window rather get a Geforce Titan or a Quadro Series Card, they should perform a lot better for rendering. Maybe even get a Quadro anyways...

Edit: Samsung 840 Pro

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

780 is a mini Titan, in the software enable CUDA support and you will be fine. also the CPU will work well cause the programs work better with more cores rather than raw performance. if you wanted to though i would suggest getting a Haswell 4770k cause the costs are going to be more or less the same and you will benefit a little more from it i think

Character artist in the Games industry.

PSU: 600 Watt should be more then enough.

Ram: 1600mhz is enough, i don't see any reason for 2400mhz ram other then throwing money out of the window.

SSD: I found Samsung SSDs the most reliable. Try to find a Samsung 830 or 840 pro for a similar price point

And if you got money for throwing out of the window rather get a Geforce Titan or a Quadro Series Card, they should perform a lot better for rendering. Maybe even get a Quadro anyways...

Edit: Samsung 840 Pro

Pretty much this, but check this out for a 10Gbe network card:

780 is a mini Titan, in the software enable CUDA support and you will be fine. also the CPU will work well cause the programs work better with more cores rather than raw performance. if you wanted to though i would suggest getting a Haswell 4770k cause the costs are going to be more or less the same and you will benefit a little more from it i think

as far as i know things like double precision are disabled in the 780

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

as far as i know things like double pricision are disbaled in the 780

yes but it still works extremely well for it. im using a GTX 660 and it has mad my game work so much easier, and animations render so much faster than they where before.

also when it comes to workstation cards, they only become worth getting when you pass the $1200+ range if you go bellow that just go high end gaming card

yes but it still works extremely well for it. im using a GTX 660 and it has mad my game work so much easier, and animations render so much faster than they where before.

also when it comes to workstation cards, they only become worth getting when you pass the $1200+ range if you go bellow that just go high end gaming card

That really really depends on what you are doing. If you need Cuda more, then yes gaming cards are the way to go.

I recently put a 660 (Asus Direct CU II OC) in a budget rendering pc also. But if not on a Budget a good Quadro is most of the time the better option, if its intended to be used for other things then just CUDA

That really really depends on what you are doing. If you need Cuda more, then yes gaming cards are the way to go.

I recently put a 660 (Asus Direct CU II OC) in a budget rendering pc also. But if not on a Budget a good Quadro is most of the time the better option, if its intended to be used for other things then just CUDA

true, but from my experience workstation gpu's are only worth getting for CAD/Solid modelling, as 3DS/Maya/Softimage/Mudbox/Blender ext are all Shell modelling tools, any GPU will work well for it. its only when doing the final rendering with lighting and stuff does it start to take its time, but the difference in it really isnt much given that in most schools/ college/ uni's they dont really expect anything pass 720p graphics.

but in all honesty, it depends on the course he is doing

Made some changes: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/11qlm 

It's funny how you're wasting more money on the motherboard while "saving money" by getting a cheaper cpu.

Got a 3770k. It will be plain better than the 8350. 

16gigs of CL9 1600 is more reasonable price-wise.

Samsung 840 250GB SSD. It's a wonderful drive at a much more reasonable price.

Stuck in 780 as requested.

Source 210 is a decent/stylish case with usb 3.0. 

Lowered psu to the ea650w. It's still overkill but it was only $5 more than the cx600 and and Antec makes awesome psus.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

if you had the money I'd say a titain  the thing is great at both gaming and 3d rendering as someone once said it is a quadro that can game

however a 780 is pretty good

what about the firepro series ?

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback guys and gals!

I lost my web connection right after the initial post, but i am really happy i got such good responses.

After considering the feedback and doing some more research i am currently considering this rig:

MotherboardASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, Socket-AM3+ (1149NOK/199USD)

This one has the same chipset as the Crosshair V Formula-Z, but is much cheaper.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 8-Core Processor (1439NOK/247USD)
After reading the suggestions and more random reviews on other parts of the web i have decided to stick with the 8350.

CPU Cooling: Corsair H100 (FREE :D)
No shock i sticking with this one i hope.

These are much cheaper and will work just as well. They are the cheapest 2x8gb DIMM set i could find at my preferred shop komplett.no.

Thanks to Elbstrand for the suggestion!

PSU: Corsair CX 750M, 750W PSU Modular (779NOK/134USD)

Total ~ 9588NOK/1659USD