Cheap raid card with JBOD pass-thru

ChineseChef

So, I searched the forums and couldn't really find anything.

I have 2x 16 bay external jbod enclosures.  So I bought an Adaptec raid card that allows 128 disks.  What I didn't realize was that it only allows 24 volumes.  This means I can only have 24 raid volumes or non-raided disks.  So it doesn't work very well as a jbod card.  I did some further research and found that I need a card that supports jbod pass-thru. 

I found of a lot of recommendations on other forums, but they were all many years old.  Does anyone know of a raid card that uses SFF-8088 or 8087 mini-sas connections, and supports more than 32 disks?  It needs to have at least 2 ports on it, internal or external doesn’t matter.  Really I am just looking for recommendations on an easy to use brand and or model.

Thanks in advance.

Check SuperMicro - I have some of their non RAID, 2 port/8 disk cards, and know they make many others.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

The LSI 9211-8i might also be worth a look, I have three of them and use

them as passthrough adapters for running ZFS on top of them (you'll need

to flash the IT firmware onto it for doing that, but it's not that difficult,

there's a tutorial link in my sig in case you're interested).

It has two SFF8087 ports (internal) and allows for up to 256 drives with

expanders according to its spec sheet.

http://www.lsi.com/products/host-bus-adapters/pages/lsi-sas-9211-8i.aspx#tab/tab2

Then there's the 9207-8i, which is similar I think, but is PCIe-3.0 (I haven't

looked to closely at that one though and am not too familiar with it). Going

by LSI's site, it can also be flashed to IT mode though.

The 9211-8i can be gotten for around 100 USD on eBay new-in-box.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic