4k or 1440p

vin_mehta1988

Hi guys,

I am unable to decide between PB287Q 4k (US $778) monitor and ROG Swift PG278Q 1440p (expected US $1085) monitor.

I play Dota 2 everyday and watch a couple for TV series. I dont normally play games but only when there are some new badass releases like Batman or Far Cry 4 and all of Half life and sometime I do play CS:GO.

All I do is gaming and watching movies and no one else will be using my pc so I dont care about the viewing angles but I should be able to see good colors in the corners.

I cant decide if I should go with Gsync or 4k. Is Gsync really import even for casual gaming?

I am also losing my patience waiting for monitors. So should I keep cool and wait or buy 4k as it is available and ROG Swift is not available yet. I am also going to upgrade my graphics card.

Thank You

Hi guys,

I am unable to decide between PB287Q 4k (US $778) monitor and ROG Swift PG278Q 1440p (expected US $1085) monitor.

I play Dota 2 everyday and watch a couple for TV series. I dont normally play games but only when there are some new badass releases like Batman or Far Cry 4 and all of Half life and sometime I do play CS:GO.

All I do is gaming and watching movies and no one else will be using my pc so I dont care about the viewing angles but I should be able to see good colors in the corners.

I cant decide if I should go with Gsync or 4k. Is Gsync really import even for casual gaming?

I am also losing my patience waiting for monitors. So should I keep cool and wait or buy 4k as it is available and ROG Swift is not available yet. I am also going to upgrade my graphics card.

Thank You

Just get a run of the mill 1080p ips monitor and dump the money elsewhere, from what you said it would be a waste of money to spend on something that isn't going to be fully utilized half the time.

Hi guys,

Thank You

hehe i only play minecraft.... my computer can barely run it its so hardcore on the gpu...

If you have the horsepower for 4k, then yes. The only thing 4k monitors have going for them at the moment is gaming. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Just get a run of the mill 1080p ips monitor and dump the money elsewhere, from what you said it would be a waste of money to spend on something that isn't going to be fully utilized half the time.

I would say the same. 1440p (most likely 4k too) is way more beautiful than 1080p. Also, what you'll see on your screen in DotA2 is probably gonna be a bitt smaller so you can see more of the map. However, I'd wait for the 1440p 120/144Hz monitors to become cheaper before buying one.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

The PG278Q (ROG Swift) is $799, I already ordered it.

4K is not really ready for mainstream yet. It needs a year or two.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

I will not buy 4k until I have a pc that can push crysis 3 at at least 60fps. And at this time my pc can't even do that at 1080p.

Super OP AF Killer Retro Emulation PC 360 No Scope 420 Blaze It (Sorry I Couldn't Help It) Seriously Though This PC Is Overkill And Before You Ask It Does Play Crysis 1024x768 60 FPS

Intel Core Duo 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz // ASUS P5N-D // Zalman CNPS9500A Air Cooler // 4GB G.Skill @ 400MHz 5 5 5 31 23 // 2 Way SLI GeForce 9800 GTX+ // 32" SONY WEGA CRT TV 480i // Corsair TX750 // Seagate 3TB // Win XP 32Bit // Sony DVD RW // ANTEC Full Tower // Steel Series H Wireless // Logitech K520 Wireless Keyboard // Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades The New 8Bitdo Wireless SNES Controller With Analog Sticks / 8Bitdo Bluetooth Arcade Fight Stick / Proper HD I Know This Machine Does Not Support 3 TB / Icy Dock 5.25 4 Bay HD Hot Swap Bay For More Seamless Multi Booting Want To Run At Least Win 95, Win XP, Win 7 

i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz // ASUS Maximus V Formula // CM Hyper 212 EVO // 16GB G.Skill Sniper @ 2133MHz 9 11 10 28 // Crossfire Sapphire 7970 // 42" 4K 60Hz FreeSync WasabiMango IPS // Corsair AX860 // Samsung 1TB 840EVO // Seagate 3TB // Seagate Barracuda 160GB sata II // OCZ Vertex 3 90GB sata III // Win 10 64Bit // ASUS DVD RW // 2 Corsair AF 120 // 2 Corsair SP 120 // 2 xigmatek 120 // Corsair 760t white flavor // NZXT HUE+ RGB Controller // Sennheiser G4me Zero // Steel Series H // Corsair M95 // Corsair K95 // 3 Xbox 360 Controllers // Dolphin Bar // Wii U Mote // Leap Motion Plus // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades 1080Ti or Vega RX64 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/16900-nothing-special/

I will not buy 4k until I have a pc that can push crysis 3 at at least 60fps. And at this time my pc can't even do that at 1080p.

It won't be doing 1440p then or 144hz :)

I still cant figure out what to do..  :unsure:

Voting suggests 1440p but I am worried it will get outdated soon.

I personally agree with BaSKa.

Frankly I would buy neither of them due to current shifts in technology, your requirements and potential hardware needs.

Based on the fact you play Dota2 mainly, this would be my priority 2K IPS + 144mhz > 2K ips > 2K TN > 4K TN.

The ROG swift is really for competitive FPS gaming, and non of the games you mentioned warrant its premium price.

A 144mhz 1440p IPS panel has just been announced, by the time that comes out freesync should available, and you won't be limited to NVidia cards.

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

I think 4k it is. As it is cheaper and the scaling will definitely will be improved in windows 9. I will be future proof and I don't game competitively so I don't think gaming monitor will be of that huge of an advantage to me. I hope I am right. Correct me if I am wrong.

U all guys are awesome. Great answers and suggestions from everyone. 

I think 4k it is. As it is cheaper and the scaling will definitely will be improved in windows 9. I will be future proof and I don't game competitively so I don't think gaming monitor will be of that huge of an advantage to me. I hope I am right. Correct me if I am wrong.

U all guys are awesome. Great answers and suggestions from everyone. 

Have you looked at this thread?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/212269-any-pb287q-owners/

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

Hi guys,

Thank You

That is way too much money for a casual use monitor.  Get yourself a nice 24" 1080p monitor for under $300 and don't worry about all the extra pixels.  4k is not going to change your life.  the cost of horsepower to push pixels on a 4k screen is easily another $1,000.  

Spend $300 on a 1080p monitor, and $500 on a nice GPU and you'll enjoy ultra settings for years to come.  OR spend $1,000 on a monitor and $1,000 on dual GPUs.  That's $800 for an awesome gaming setup vs. $2,000 for a slightly more awesome setup.  NOT WORTH IT!  (my humble opinion).

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I'd say PG278Q.  I have one and g-sync is fantastic.  However, for casual gaming.  Unless you really have a lot of expendable income, that seems like an excessive amount of money.  Whatever you do, don't bother with 4k right now.  Windows itself and many applications don't scale well at all at that resolution.  The gpu power needed to properly push that resolution is too high right now.  You'd need several top end gpus.  Then there's the fact that all the cheap 4k monitors right now don't deliver very good picture quality.

Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.

Once you go 4k you cannot go to a lower DPI.  Everything just looks terrible.  I stopped using my laptop because I couldn't stand the resolution being so poor in comparison.  If you want the best experience go 4k. I don't have any of the problems Linus rants about with windows.