Router can't connect to internet(requires confirmation)

Xpix2

Hi, my name is Dustin

I recently moved into residence at uni and took my router (Buffalo Airstation WZR-600DHP) with me. I have no trouble connecting to internet through my pc but the router can't connect at all. I believe the problem has to do with the internet requiring you to accept an agreement first (like at tims or mac D) though other people have told me they just connected their router via ethernet and when they used their laptop it forwarded them to the address. I tried calling the isp here which forced me to wait over an hour just to tell me they don't support routers. 

any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

There is no way to give you a definate answer on what will fix this without access to your uni's network.

Have you manually configured your computer to use specific DNS servers? (like Google's) If yes, that could be the reason why you can't connect - alot of schools use redirects, but for it to work, you need to use their DNS.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Are you using the WAN port on your router(usually the yellow one)? If so, try using only the Lan ports and disabling dhcp and dns on your router.

If there is already an internet connection going into your room provided by your university, then why are you using another router to connect to that? Surely having 2 routers (counting the university's main router) isn't the right solution (unless you're aiming to set up a demilitarized zone or something) as it will complicate things.

Try changing the settings on your router to make it act like just a network switch (or just buy a cheap network switch) then plug both your university provided internet connection and your devices into that.

Hi, my name is Dustin

I recently moved into residence at uni and took my router (Buffalo Airstation WZR-600DHP) with me. I have no trouble connecting to internet through my pc but the router can't connect at all. I believe the problem has to do with the internet requiring you to accept an agreement first (like at tims or mac D) though other people have told me they just connected their router via ethernet and when they used their laptop it forwarded them to the address. I tried calling the isp here which forced me to wait over an hour just to tell me they don't support routers. 

any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

Hi! Welcome to the forums. What is the purpose of your Buffalo router? Why do you want to connect it? Do you want more Ethernet ports, or do you want wifi access? (Or both?)

If all you need is more ports, then I recommend picking up a cheap Gigabit switch from your local computer store (I like the TP-Link ones personally, but just about anything will do). This will give you more ports, and should pass through the "Acceptance Page" with no issues.

If you need Wifi as well, then you may have to try and configure your router into "Wireless AP Mode" if it has one.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)