[US] Pentium G3258 - $47

Faceman

For right now the cpu is fine. But in a year or sooner games will be using more cores! Games like battlefield already are! If you want to play things a decent fps in the next year or so the fx-6300 is the minimum you can go. If your just a casual guy that is fine with lower fps then have at this CPU as it is a great price/performance cpu.

People have been saying that since the Pentium D and Athlon 64 X2. It has still barely happened. Almost no game that has come out in the last few years will have a problem with this CPU. Clearly it won't be as "future proof" as a quad core... But even though games have barely become more demanding on CPUs people have been replacing them anyways. Somebody could grab this and use it for a couple years. For a $50 CPU that isn't half bad.

People have been saying that since the Pentium D and Athlon 64 X2. It has still barely happened. Almost no game that has come out in the last few years will have a problem with this CPU.

Bf4, bf3? Watch dogs. Assaisins creed? GTA 5? None of these games mean anything to you? What about hardline? The next gen of games will use more cores! They are already starting to.

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

unless you play GTA IV of course, then your framerate is cut more than half.

played gta 4 on a x2 and a hd 5450 and it got less than 20 fps, gta 4 was poorly optimized for pc 

Nice deal on that Pentium.

Its sad to see Pentiums not  getting love for being dual cores even the locked versions (G3220 and similars)  with a decent GPU they have no problems with games on FullHD high/medium settings on most cases.

this has me laughing hard!!!!!

:D :D :D

haha me 2!!!!!!!!!!! these kids are like 50$ that cant be good. lol! newb scrubs strike again

Its all looks these days

For right now the cpu is fine. But in a year or sooner games will be using more cores! Games like battlefield already are! If you want to play things a decent fps in the next year or so the fx-6300 is the minimum you can go. If your just a casual guy that is fine with lower fps then have at this CPU as it is a great price/performance cpu.

thats why you get z97 board and then when broadwell comes out you upgrade??? 

Its all looks these days

Sure you could game on this CPU if you want but it isnt going to be optimal. On any games that use more than two threads (most modern games not all of them but most) your going to have a major bottlenecking problem. That isnt misinformation. Reccomending this chip for gaming to anyone besides a person who only plays single-dual core games is stupid.

EDIT: And calling me Totally-a-child is pretty immature of you. Being's how you flamed me on purpose last night just to start a fight.

No shit it's not going to be optimal, but I think you're forgetting the fact that it's $50 freakin dollars. Of course something that costs literally 5x more is going to perform better, but at that price it's an excellent CPU, including it's game performance.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

haha me 2!!!!!!!!!!! these kids are like 50$ that cant be good. lol! newb scrubs strike again

Newb? I have over 1000 posts...... Ive watched the benchmark videos before you guys linked them i know what im saying.

thats why you get z97 board and then when broadwell comes out you upgrade??? 

No put that $50 towards a better component, wait a couple weeks and then get a i5. Suggesting this CPU is just as bad as suggestiung a i3 for gaming (well minus price and OC) but still it is more worth it to save your money and buy a i5.

No shit it's not going to be optimal, but I think you're forgetting the fact that it's $50 freakin dollars. Of course something that costs literally 5x more is going to perform better, but at that price it's an excellent CPU, including it's game performance.

Newb? I have over 1000 posts...... Ive watched the benchmark videos before you guys linked them i know what im saying.

No put that $50 towards a better component, wait a couple weeks and then get a i5. Suggesting this CPU is just as bad as suggestiung a i3 for gaming (well minus price and OC) but still it is more worth it to save your money and buy a i5.

Difference between this and a i5 is quite significant... Not everyone has the money to put an extra $100+ in a cpu. I'd personally say that this CPU is for people who wants the performance of an i5, albeit with a few drawbacks,  that doesn't hurt the bank as much as a i5 or higher would. At this price point, this CPU is pretty damn amazing for what you pay for. I can understand the need for an i5 if you need it for multi tasking.  But for strictly gaming, this is not a bad choice at all. Just because you don't see the benefit in this CPU doesn't mean it's a bad suggestion.  

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

You're completely disregarding the value of a component like this Pentium.

What if I don't want an $800+ gaming PC? What if I just want something casual for a really cheap price? What if I just want to upgrade my old desktop?

Combine it with a GTX 750 and you have a CASUAL (not extreme, not enthusiast) gaming rig for a good price.

Honestly, you argue like everybody is saying "YEA THIS WOULD GO PERFECT WITH A ####ING TITAN Z." Nobody is saying this is the next 5960X, just that it's a good value.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I would also like to point out that post count doesn't mean squat. 

The guy who was telling you to buy an FX processor over an i5 had 1,000 posts.  Imagine the world of regret you would be in if you went that route.

Totally-A-Child I would like to take this time to inform you that you are on ignore.  Between this, last night, and all of your childish antics I would rather not see you or your posts anymore.  I will leave you with this:

Have a plan and do your research.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

For gaming who knows, but for replacing my dads old core 2 duo and intel 975 motherboard this would be awesome. Not everybody plays games on their PCs... :)

I switched from a 4670k with a mild OC to the g3258 and I have not seen any difference. I didn't even bother to OC the chip. I got it for about $40 and it's a complete steal.

HOLY SHIT THIS THREAD, pentium can run bf4@med setting around 30 fps with a 6670 it's not a horrible chip as people think

played gta 4 on a x2 and a hd 5450 and it got less than 20 fps, gta 4 was poorly optimized for pc 

True story bro. I've upgraded from that crap; 5450 is shit for gaming anyways, its something you would put in a grandma's pc if she could use one hehe

True story bro. I've upgraded from that crap; 5450 is shit for gaming anyways, its something you would put in a grandma's pc if she could use one hehe

it was an upgrade from using on board graphics. The on board graphics is a geforce 6100

Difference between this and a i5 is quite significant... Not everyone has the money to put an extra $100+ in a cpu. I'd personally say that this CPU is for people who wants the performance of an i5, albeit with a few drawbacks,  that doesn't hurt the bank as much as a i5 or higher would. At this price point, this CPU is pretty damn amazing for what you pay for. I can understand the need for an i5 if you need it for multi tasking.  But for strictly gaming, this is not a bad choice at all. Just because you don't see the benefit in this CPU doesn't mean it's a bad suggestion.  

If you dont have the money 10/10 best under $100 cpu. If you can stretch the 6300 is better.

You're completely disregarding the value of a component like this Pentium.

What if I don't want an $800+ gaming PC? What if I just want something casual for a really cheap price? What if I just want to upgrade my old desktop?

Combine it with a GTX 750 and you have a CASUAL (not extreme, not enthusiast) gaming rig for a good price.

Honestly, you argue like everybody is saying "YEA THIS WOULD GO PERFECT WITH A ####ING TITAN Z." Nobody is saying this is the next 5960X, just that it's a good value.

I get what your saying it makes sense. I was trying to get at the people ive been seeing lately in the GPU section saying they have this and wanting to pair it with a 280/x or 760/770. For a casual budget chip its great. 

I would also like to point out that post count doesn't mean squat. 

The guy who was telling you to buy an FX processor over an i5 had 1,000 posts.  Imagine the world of regret you would be in if you went that route.

Totally-A-Child I would like to take this time to inform you that you are on ignore.  Between this, last night, and all of your childish antics I would rather not see you or your posts anymore.  I will leave you with this:

Have a plan and do your research.

Because i have stated my opinion on the pentium and you dont agree your ignoring me? Or is it how you intintially flamed me last night and argued on the date i purchased MY GPU? I bought the damn thing i know when i purchased it! Your immaturity is crazy! You've done this to guys like @i_build_nanosuits before just because you dont agree with them? Not cool man. Your a great forum member, but your sharp tounge and short temper are holding you back. 

No this CPU isnt for gaming, buying a 2 core cpu and expecting to game on it (well any games that have been released in the last 3 years) is a bad idea.

That's funny because I'm playing battlefield 4...etc. at above 60fps(it dips down to 50ish depending on multiplayer map) average all the time.

BF4, Planetside2, Metro LL all run at very good fps at 4.8ghz.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

That's funny because I'm playing battlefield 4...etc. at above 60fps(it dips down to 50ish depending on multiplayer map) average all the time.

BF4, Planetside2, Metro LL all run at very good fps at 4.8ghz.

Settings? GPU?

Settings? GPU?

Ultra preset x4msaa 100% 1080p r9 280x sapphire toxic.

Only time BF4 ever went down to 30fps is on loading screen.

Planetside 2 was the one that really dips to 30s when there are more than 200~ players shooting in one hex; but it happens to 8-core amd cpu as well.

I would take this over anything under the price of a k-series i5 because of how painless it is to put g3258 back into the box and buy an i5.

Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Ultra preset x4msaa 100% 1080p r9 280x sapphire toxic.

Only time BF4 ever went down to 30fps is on loading screen.

Planetside 2 was the one that really dips to 30s when there are more than 200~ players shooting in one hex; but it happens to 8-core amd cpu as well.

I would take this over anything under the price of a k-series i5 because of how painless it is to put g3258 back into the box and buy an i5.

Normally that gpu should be getting around 70+ So it is bottlenecking but obviously still very playable. 

Normally that gpu should be getting around 70+ So it is bottlenecking but obviously still very playable.

Clearly not by much since I can add more AA without decreasing fps and it runs even better in many games than more expensive AMD alternatives.

If I bought an i5; I would be using at most a gtx 760 which would bottleneck the cpu instead.

The point is; this is a $50(when I bought it, it was $70; still worth it) cpu.

You can do a lot with this cpu in gaming; it's a steal just for a little something to get you a playable rig before broadwell comes out, which is why I bought it.

Well 10-15 frames is quite a bit. Ya im glad you enjoy it :)