Linux/ Ubuntu fan speeds... help me!

I'm my sister's vaio laptop right now (with the first generation core i3) and the fan of this laptop is spinning li ke crazy in Ubuntu (when I'm just sitting on the desktop/ doing some light browsing) while in windows its near silent. I thought I'd just download something like speedfan, but as it turns out, it doesn't work that way in Ubuntu (I'm fairly new to this OS).

So can anyone explain to me (in easy-to-understand-for-Linux/Ubuntu-noobs) how I can change the fan speed?

The problem could be that the processor is heating up because it's under full load when running Ubuntu, but I was told that this should be the exact opposite in Ubuntu (so it should run easier than windows).

Thanks in advance,

Thib

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

Are you sure it is the CPU fan? If you have a AMD GPU (I don't know if it holds for nvidia and intel), Linux sets the profile to "default", which is exactly the same as high. This profile ramps up the gpu-fan like crazy. See if this command fixes anything:

sudo echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile

Note that this command only works as long as the computer is on. If it happened to fix anything, let me know and i'll show you how to run it on startup.

| Operating Systems: Arch Linux  /  Debian Linux  /  Windows 7 | Audio: Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D + AKG Q701 |

| Display: Samsung Syncmaster P2450H | Mouse: Razer Deathadder Black | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL Brown | Mic: Samson C03U |

| Case: Corsair 600T | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K | GPU: AMD HD7950 | Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | RAM: 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro | PSU: Corsair TX850M |

Are you sure it is the CPU fan? If you have a AMD GPU (I don't know if it holds for nvidia and intel), Linux sets the profile to "default", which is exactly the same as high. This profile ramps up the gpu-fan like crazy. See if this command fixes anything:

sudo echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
Note that this command only works as long as the computer is on. If it happened to fix anything, let me know and i'll show you how to run it on startup.

ohhh, yeah that might be it! My sis has the laptop now, I'll try it tomorrow. But it does hold an AMD GPU :)

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

A question..i can't get both OS at one time..In bios i am not getting a request about the choice between Ubuntu and Win 7, so win 7 starts w/o asking..

A question..i can't get both OS at one time..In bios i am not getting a request about the choice between Ubuntu and Win 7, so win 7 starts w/o asking..

For me it asks automatically, but on my imac I have to press alt when I just pressed the start button for it to ask me

For me it asks automatically, but on my imac I have to press alt when I just pressed the start button for it to ask me

And where can a problem be now? o.o I've done everything right i hope. First one i've installed Windows, than i've made 4 hard disks for a Ubuntu - > Installed it..nothing happens =( 

And where can a problem be now? o.o I've done everything right i hope. First one i've installed Windows, than i've made 4 hard disks for a Ubuntu - > Installed it..nothing happens =( 

Have you tried pressing the alt button right after you pressed the start button?

Have you tried pressing the alt button right after you pressed the start button?

tried out..didn't worked =(

well..nvm..><

Have you tried installing ubuntu with the installer in windows itself?

Have you tried installing ubuntu with the installer in windows itself?

Nope, where is this option?

too bad its a laptop, i was wondering if you could use an teensy or something like that to control the fan speeds...  :D  But that might be beyond what even i can do... Could be a cool project though.

too bad its a laptop, i was wondering if you could use an teensy or something like that to control the fan speeds...  :D  But that might be beyond what even i can do... Could be a cool project though.

I have an actual fancontroller in my desktop... in july I'm trying Ubuntu on my desktop! But first: exams -.-