*Semi Speculation* What platform will have a longer lifetime?

Go to solution Solved by Deletive,

Skylake isn't going to bring a big improvement on CPU power but will bring HUGE gpu performance to the table. since you're an enthusiast go with x99 if you have the money. 

Broadwell will only bring a 5% IPC improvement. nothing more. 40% igpu improvement though. Broadwell-E will probably come to x99 too because it's just a die shrink of haswell-e

Hey Guys! I'm in the market for a new build and have been wondering if there has been any talk of intel releasing more chips for the x99 platform? The recent good news surrounding Broadwell has made me reconsider the x99 platforme. 

In short, what does the release line up look like for x99 vs z97?

What do you think looks more promising?

Do you think Broadwell will bring more then the usual 5-12% improvement?

Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

Z97 is guaranteed to support Broadwell

It's not known yet if X99 will support Broadwell-E, so for now, Z97 is the more futureproof platform. It also looks more promising, still the better bang-for-the-buck platform then the Intel EEs

"Rawr XD"

If the past is any indication the X platform will be good for a lot longer than the Z. Skylake is going to be a massive change with DDR4 so how long the Z will last with Broadwell is an open question. 6 months? It's a pure value play against the Skylake power. How people respond to that will dictate its longevity.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Skylake isn't going to bring a big improvement on CPU power but will bring HUGE gpu performance to the table. since you're an enthusiast go with x99 if you have the money. 

Broadwell will only bring a 5% IPC improvement. nothing more. 40% igpu improvement though. Broadwell-E will probably come to x99 too because it's just a die shrink of haswell-e

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Skylake isn't going to bring a big improvement on CPU power but will bring HUGE gpu performance to the tablet. since you're an enthusiast go with x99 if you have the money. 

I agree with this. ^^^

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

Well put sir!!! Yeah, I was likely going to go with a 5820k due to its +25%-35% improvement over the 3790k in thread optimised tasks~

But there is always the siren call of gaming performance, oh sweet sweet Shaders Mhhhhmmhhh..... .... ... ... .. .