First time overclocking (AMD FX-8320 Black Edition)

Imaniac

Hi,

I recently got a couple of new hw into my pc which icludes the fx-8320 black and I'd like to overclock it a bit. I've watched some videos and read forums but I want to be 100% confident to do this as I've never overclocked before.

I've seen mostly these: 

http://youtu.be/bZPy6xMhtso

http://youtu.be/MckeAmnDeTk

and http://youtu.be/8u7MIwphuoE

I've got Arctic Freezer 13 aftermarket cpu cooler, Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 rev. 3.0 mobo, and FSP Saga II 500 power source.  Now, I'd like not to touch the ram settings or anything else, I just want to tweak the cpu. I've heard that black editions have an unlocked multiplier which makes it easier to do without influencing other settings. I also have the amd catalyst control center and don't know which is safer and more efficient to use ...the catalyst or bios? How far could I push the OC especially with that source? I'd be happy to see some advice, guidance or perhaps which tutorial is best to be followed in my situation.

Thank you.

Go in the BIOS and turn the multiplier up by say 2 and stress test your cpu.

I was able to push my FX-8320 to 4.4 GHz on stock voltage, I didn't go further because my CPU cooler is crap. I mainly used Jay's video on how to overclock, his video was nice. Also, I would BIOS overclock.

Hi,

I recently got a couple of new hw into my pc which icludes the fx-8320 black and I'd like to overclock it a bit. I've watched some videos and read forums but I want to be 100% confident to do this as I've never overclocked before.

I've seen mostly these: 

http://youtu.be/bZPy6xMhtso

http://youtu.be/MckeAmnDeTk

and http://youtu.be/8u7MIwphuoE

I've got Arctic Freezer 13 aftermarket cpu cooler, Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 rev. 3.0 mobo, and FSP Saga II 500 power source.  Now, I'd like not to touch the ram settings or anything else, I just want to tweak the cpu. I've heard that black editions have an unlocked multiplier which makes it easier to do without influencing other settings. I also have the amd catalyst control center and don't know which is safer and more efficient to use ...the catalyst or bios? How far could I push the OC especially with that source? I'd be happy to see some advice, guidance or perhaps which tutorial is best to be followed in my situation.

Thank you.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Use the UEFI. 

In the BIOS do these things (should be under advanced cpu settings):

Disable turbo core

Disable Cool'n'quiet

Disable C1E

Now go to CPU settings

Set core ratio/multiplier to 20x

Leave everything else defaults

Save and exit.

Now go to windows and run prime95 small-fft for 15 mins or so and let us know how it goes.

Be sure to monitor core voltage (CPU-Z) and temps (CoreTemp).

You should be ~1.35v and ~55c

Thanks.  I'm going to try that as soon as possible. Just a quick question will it influence the ram timings or frequency when it is all set on auto?

Ok so I disabled the trhee settings, set the multiplier to x20. Ran the small-fft in prime95 and after 15mins CoreTemp showed exactly 50c. There were no fails. The core voltage was jumping from about 1.248v to 1.368v. It hit 1.356v a couple of times between that. The ram seems to be intact.

Just a funny thing, during the whole duration of the stress test the multiplier in cpu-z was jumping down to x14,5 and back to x20. Also in coretemp a couple of cores switched to x14.5 while the other ones stayed at x20 and then back. But it wasn't always the same ones, all of them eventually got through the x14,5. After I stopped the test if stayed stable at x20 and the core voltage stayed at 1.332v.

I hope that what I wrote is understandable enough. :D

//sorry that I didn't merge the posts ...I always forget

Ok so I disabled the trhee settings, set the multiplier to x20. Ran the small-fft in prime95 and after 15mins CoreTemp showed exactly 50c. There were no fails. The core voltage was jumping from about 1.248v to 1.368v. It hit 1.356v a couple of times between that. The ram seems to be intact.

Just a funny thing, during the whole duration of the stress test the multiplier in cpu-z was jumping down to x14,5 and back to x20. Also in coretemp a couple of cores switched to x14.5 while the other ones stayed at x20 and then back. But it wasn't always the same ones, all of them eventually got through the x14,5. After I stopped the test if stayed stable at x20 and the core voltage stayed at 1.332v.

Now try setting manual voltage to 1.325v and load line calibration to 2nd highest.

I went to my uefi, but I could not find a setting to actually set the correct voltage. I could only add or decrease the voltage by 0.025 intervals. In bios it says that my Vcore is 1.320v. So should I add to that +0.025v and make it 1.345? (if I understood correctly and thats the way it works).

The LLC setting had these stages: Auto, Normal, Extreme, Ultra High, High, Medium, Regular. As the second highest should I set Ultra High? Won't it damage my 990XA-UD3?

I went to my uefi, but I could not find a setting to actually set the correct voltage. I could only add or decrease the voltage by 0.025 intervals. In bios it says that my Vcore is 1.320v. So should I add to that +0.025v and make it 1.345? (if I understood correctly and thats the way it works).

The LLC setting had these stages: Auto, Normal, Extreme, Ultra High, High, Medium, Regular. As the second highest should I set Ultra High? Won't it damage my 990XA-UD3?

Yep, and try ultra high. Should be OK.

I did Vcore +0.025v and set LLC to ultra high. At the booting it usually shows a gigabyte logo and what keys to press to access bios and stuff, then a beep and then it goes to windows. This time there was no logo, just a black screen(my monitor was saying "no input signal" to be more precise) and a beep but it eventually booted into windows. I don't know if that was just some coincidence or it had something to to with the woltage setting.

Right now cpu-z says the voltage is 1.356v/1.368v. Not sure how accurate that is, I haven't checked the voltage in bios yet. I'll run prime95 and see if anything goes wrong.

//So after 20mins. of prime95 there were no fails. The multiplier was still shifting to x14.5 and back to x20. Sometimes it even dropped down to x7.

As for the voltage it was shifting in the range of 1.296v-1.416v. Temperature never went beyond 55c. After about 10mins it actually started decreasing a bit and stayed under 55c.

I'm writing another post because I'm experiencing a strange thing when booting my pc. The problem with the gigabyte logo was just a coincidence I think, it is allright now. But every time I push the booting button on my chasis there is a slight delay between the push and the pc actually starting to do something. In more detail: after I push the button I hear the pc fans normaly starting to work, I see the led lights turning on but it suddenly, immediately all just shuts down. Then for a couple of seconds there is nothing happening at all. And then the pc finally starts to boot again and normally boots into windows without any problems. What's wrong with the system? I don't think that the delay is supposed to be happening.

• 1 year later...

I'm writing another post because I'm experiencing a strange thing when booting my pc. The problem with the gigabyte logo was just a coincidence I think, it is allright now. But every time I push the booting button on my chasis there is a slight delay between the push and the pc actually starting to do something. In more detail: after I push the button I hear the pc fans normaly starting to work, I see the led lights turning on but it suddenly, immediately all just shuts down. Then for a couple of seconds there is nothing happening at all. And then the pc finally starts to boot again and normally boots into windows without any problems. What's wrong with the system? I don't think that the delay is supposed to be happening.

Hi, I have the same problem but with FX 6300. Did you find any solution?

Greetings brother, I was looking and testing deeper to this topic with my fx 8350, and i'm going to tell to you my experience and some tips.

hardware: fx8350 black edition - Cooler master hyper 412S -  ASUS FX990 extreme 3 - HyperX savage 16gb 1600 1.5v. - Tacens mars gaming Vulcano 750W 80 plus silver modular

Okay, so let's begin, i will start with undervolting:

UNDERVOLTING:

TIP! : Undervolt makes run your CPU at the same Ghz with less stress and sometimes makes it more powerfull. This Extends your CPU life and you will consume less energy. (green planet fiendly)

MAX(very unestable): 1.225V  -> OS freezzes over time, very unestalbe, but temp is stable at 35/40º

MED(Stable) 1.26V -> Is how i have it now, it's stable, no frezzes, is a bit powerfull than before because at stock voltage has thermal throttle, more than 630 at cinebench

MIN(stock, Stable but ridiculous extreme high temp) 1.4V (UNNECESSARY) It have thermal throttle, A LOT, i mean i cant do a cinebench without getting limited by thermal throttle to 20 multiplier to 7 like 3 or 4 times in a row, it grow the temps to 75 in seconds.

OVERCLOCKING:

With my motherboard i can set some overclock settings but i know its not very good, so this is what I get:

MAX: 4.5Ghz at 1.5V (Unestable as fuck) -> it's powerfull as anything you've ever seen in your life "not really" but it frezzes in-mid the benchmark, and sometimes get stuck at windows startup o don't pass through the bios

MID: 4.3Ghz at 1.45V( Stable most of time) -> It's a good power, is the best you can get if you have air cooling, so it's not bad at least. the voltage is the lower i can set, because 1.43V crash windows startup, and more... well more voltage, more temp in less time, and i don't know why but it have thermal Throttle ith more than 1.45V. (sometimes with 1.45V too)

MIN: 4.1Ghz at 1.4V, or 1.35V( Is the best config you can get wth aircooling) -> I used this configuration for more than a week, but when I realized than It was only 0.1Ghz more I went back to 4Ghz with undervolting. If you want to overclock with aircooling use MID config

If you want to Overclock you CPU, you will have to learn the basics of the configuration of the multipliers of your cpu, it will be very complicated sometimes when you get lost with the calcs. But with your hardware i though you will be able to run the fx8350 more than me, Be carefull this CPU have the temp limit at 75, if you pass it it can be damaged. Research, learn and enjoy configuring you overclock.

I wish you lucky!

It can be your bios security, when your MB just can't run your settings, try to power on three times, then load the default uefi setting to secure that you will not have to flash your uefi mannualy.

I don't know if it is the explanation of your ploblem but it's something, try to not change you Voltage with big margins, do it with 0.05 if your motherboard can do it. And be patient, dont go too quickly juming above voltages.

yep this i exactly what thermal throttling do

That motherboard should handle a 5ghz OC easily if your chip, psu and cooler and up to snuff. 

I would shoot for 4.6 - 4.8, personally. 

I have a 8320 @ 4.7 @ 1.456V, I was running it at 4.8 @ 1.464V but it was a bit unstable and wasn't worth the hassle of dealing with random crashes (I'd probably call it 80% stable @ 4.8 and 100% stable @ 4.7). 

My motherboard and/or PSU doesn't want to deliver more power in a stable way. But I have a 970 board, which doesn't have as good as VRM delivery.