needs a good very reliable 1TB extersnal hard drive

thisnamewillkillyou

hey guys, im looking for an external hard drive to back up all of the family photos. i need it to be vary reliable and not to expensive. theres to much options in the market so i have decided to just let you pick one for me. 

thanks

I use a Lacie, and absolutely love it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I use a Lacie, and absolutely love it.

I forgot they exist. :o What model do you have?

I forgot they exist. :o What model do you have?

It issss...one of the Porsche Design 2tb desktop ones. I think their model numbers are P'xxxx...a bunch of numbers which I can't remember the meaning of.

Super solid build, it has an aluminum chassis I think (some kind of metal), nice rubber feet, and iirc they have some of the highest transfer rates.

The thing's a beast though, it's gone to and from another province 2 or 3 times, it's always on, and I've had no issues at all.

Super heavy too. It's nice, just the way I'd want an expensive desktop drive to feel.

They have some really nice ID. The Blade Runner model might just be my next mass storage back up system.

BladeRunner_3Qtr.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

It issss...one of the Porsche Design 2tb desktop ones. I think their model numbers are P'xxxx...a bunch of numbers which I can't remember the meaning of.

Super solid build, it has an aluminum chassis I think (some kind of metal), nice rubber feet, and iirc they have some of the highest transfer rates.

The thing's a beast though, it's gone to and from another province 2 or 3 times, it's always on, and I've had no issues at all.

Super heavy too. It's nice, just the way I'd want an expensive desktop drive to feel.

They have some really nice ID. The Blade Runner model might just be my next mass storage back up system.

BladeRunner_3Qtr.jpg

I can see this one in their site. Their drives are awesome but pricey.

I can see this one in their site. Their drives are awesome but pricey.

Yup, definitely. I think they're actually pretty cheap on eBay. ~$250.

I got my Porsche Design on sale from NCIX, it was also pretty cheap. I think just over $140, and that was a couple years ago when they were pricier in the 2tb variety. It was like $100 off.

Have you ever held one? Most quality peripheral I think I've ever held. I feel like I could easily club someone to death with it. Errmm...

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Yup, definitely. I think they're actually pretty cheap on eBay. ~$250.

I got my Porsche Design on sale from NCIX, it was also pretty cheap. I think just over $140, and that was a couple years ago when they were pricier in the 2tb variety. It was like $100 off.

Have you ever held one? Most quality peripheral I think I've ever held. I feel like I could easily club someone to death with it. Errmm... that's their purpose, right?

I have held one once, but never got to use one. :(

I have held one once, but never got to use one. :(

Haha, love the quote ;)

I'd buy one for desktop...but my friend bought one of their portable Porsche Design ones, and I probably would get something different for that. It has very, very sharp edges.

How do you like the WD? I almost bought one of those a while back. I'm going to be buying a Startech enclosure with the keypad on it shortly, with some kind of HDD and seeing how that fares.

Hardware encryption seems cool.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Haha, love the quote ;)

I'd buy one for desktop...but my friend bought one of their portable Porsche Design ones, and I probably would get something different for that. It has very, very sharp edges.

How do you like the WD? I almost bought one of those a while back. I'm going to be buying a Startech enclosure with the keypad on it shortly, with some kind of HDD and seeing how that fares.

Hardware encryption seems cool.

It gets pretty good performance and it's a solid drive. Going through half a dozen airports and tossing my bag around a bit and the drive still holds up well. No problems with it. I do wish the cable end that goes in to the drive was less flimsy feeling.

It gets pretty good performance and it's a solid drive. Going through half a dozen airports and tossing my bag around a bit and the drive still holds up well. No problems with it. I do wish the cable end that goes in to the drive was less flimsy feeling.

Yeah, the Lacie uses one of those huge adapters. The other external drives I have all use mini USB, which is...less than ideal. I'm always worried it's going to break.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

If your wanting to backup all the family photos then you really should follow the 3-2-1 backup rule.
3 copies of your data

2 different storage types (HDD, USB, CD, Tape...etc)

1 taken offsite (Work, Cloud, Friends/Family)

If your relying on an external HDD to be reliable you may one day be sadly dissapointed. Expecially if its something you cannot replace like family photos

That said, as hard drives go, any modern 1 TB 3.5 inch harddrive will be reasonably reliable. It's the really high storage density drives you want to watch out for. Western Digital is a good brand.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Very true ManWithBeard

I guess my point was, if at all possible.... try not to place all the eggs in one basket. HDDs are not too expensive, especially when you consider what he wants to backup
My recommendation would be in time, invest in a 2nd HDD and keep it off site.