Thermal paste.

any one ever use Indigo Xtreme thermal paste?

looking at getting some "good" thermal paste but i dont really know if $20 bucks for 2 applications of thermal paste is really worth it, ive used AS5 and its good except the whole "burn in time" thing but would it be worth the extra money for the indigo or should i just stick with AS5 or try the nocuta paste?

Stick with AS5, it's a darn good thermal paste, just the conductivity issues, so don't let it spill. There isn't a need to get the noctua or this indigo paste, as you shouldn't notice any real world change going to one of them over time. If you hadn't got any paste yet, I would say grab the noctua and run, but you'll be fine with AS5

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I only used the pre applied thermal paste so far but someone on this forum wrote that it doesn't matter what thermal paste you get. Nowadays there isn't that much of a difference.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

Gelid GC Extreme is you want fast cure time(basically none) non-conductive, and excellent performance for $10

AS5 is a very old thermal paste, and the long cure time as well as conductive nature of it are things I shy away from.  If you already own it, which you do, no real reason to switch unless you want to lower temps by 1-2C.  But if I'm recommending a TIM for today, then AS5 would be on the bottom of the list.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I'd say you should just use what you have, it's not worth the effort and cost of getting a new thermal paste when the differences between them are minor... If you've got some AS5 use that, it's a good thermal paste even though it's a little old now.

For anyone else who's looking to buy new thermal paste, I usually recommend mx-4, it's what I am using right now and it has served me well.

IC Diamond is what Linus uses.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

well i am out of AS5 and starting a new computer build so i was just taking a glance at all the other thermal paste's and shesh theres a ton of them!

Maybe ill check out the IC Diamond brand

the indigo Xtream one is, im not ever sure it has a very odd look and does not in a syringe but a "ETI" what ever that means.

Suppose I will give indigo a shot but I'll get some IC DIAMOND. To back up just in case. Worse case I threw away $20

Suppose I will give indigo a shot but I'll get some IC DIAMOND. To back up just in case. Worse case I threw away $20

Before using Indigo, make sure that your PC is completely level.  Use those rulers with water and air bubbles to make sure it is completely flat.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Before using Indigo, make sure that your PC is completely level. Use those rulers with water and air bubbles to make sure it is completely flat.

thank you for that tip will do. Any particular reason why? Or just one of those "don't for get to ground your self" be for doing any thing with a PC

thank you for that tip will do. Any particular reason why? Or just one of those "don't for get to ground your self" be for doing any thing with a PC

Watch a video on how Indigo is applied.  It is truly an enthusiast grade product. Basically, you have to heat up the interface material so that it spreads evenly across your processor. If your processor is not completely flat, the material will leak out or not be applied evenly.

Will look into doing it the best way I can thank you.

Its some serious stuff, and it is not easy to remove if you mess up.  Do your homework on this stuff, cause it sounds great in theory, but it is really difficult to use if you are not 100% sure on what you're doing

So I will take the risk and I will let every one know how it works but won't be for at least another 2 weeks or so. Have to finish picking my new components and them order them for the new build.

Skip out on AS5 and get some MX-4. It's probably the best paste on the market right now that you just squeeze out of a tube.