Bad Hard Drive?

MetaDrow

If it searches other drives first, it will slow stuff down. Maybe not boot time, but the time between BIOS screen and loading OS screen.

CPU: Intel i5-2320 @ 3.9gHz

GPU: MSI GTX 670 PE @ 1411/7387

I wanna go fast! :P

click on the start button type in msconfig, press enter, go to the services tab, select hide all Microsoft services, disable anything that you dont use and anything that isnt a driver. next go to the startup tab and disable everything besides windows operating system drivers and things you want to run from the start, click okay and restart. this typically helps massivesly. if you dont know what something is in msconfig, look it up first before disabling it. 

follow that step by step and you should have a noticeably faster system in no time

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

Could it be the CPU and/or motherboard? On a different drive, its still pretty slow even on a fresh copy of windows; I only got these two last week

MOBO: ASUS M5A99FX

CPU: AMD X6 FX 6300

Could it be the CPU and/or motherboard? On a different drive, its still pretty slow even on a fresh copy of windows; I only got these two last week

MOBO: ASUS M5A99FX

CPU: AMD X6 FX 6300

i highly doubt it, personally i would advice you to get an ssd for a boot drive if a mechanical hard drive isnt fast enough for you and try configuring msconfig

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

i highly doubt it, personally i would advice you to get an ssd for a boot drive if a mechanical hard drive isnt fast enough for you and try configuring msconfig

I know an ssd would be faster, but my problem is that my hdd is slower than before and is there are random freezes

did you make sure your drive is configured for AHCI in the BIOS?

Most setting are on default so yes sata ports are set to AHCI mode

Most setting are on default so yes sata ports are set to AHCI mode

try disabling third party controllers like the asmedia sata controllers and plug your hard drive into a chipset controlled [gray] port instead

try disabling third party controllers like the asmedia sata controllers and plug your hard drive into a chipset controlled [gray] port instead

hard drive was already pluged into the gray port, ive tried the different sata ports and there was no change

hard drive was already pluged into the gray port, ive tried the different sata ports and there was no change

did you try a different sata cable?

I don't think it'll be the SATA cables

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Ive tried different cables, different ports, now a different drive and still no change. im beginning to suspect the cpu and/or the motherboard

I don't think it'll be the SATA cables

you never know, always check the physical. maybe try looking for firmware for your hdd

you never know, always check the physical. maybe try looking for firmware for your hdd

Looking at the read/write speeds is why I wouldn't suspect the cables for the drive itself, still can't get my head around this, bloody weird.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

does it still happen with a bone stock fresh install of windows?

on a completely fresh copy of windows, its still dragging behind which is why i suspect the cpu and motherboard now

on a completely fresh copy of windows, its still dragging behind which is why i suspect the cpu and motherboard now

Do you have another PC?

If so I'd transplant the drive and see if that does anything, might be a little stupid on my part but might be worth a shot.

i have never heard of a bad cpu unless it fries along with the motherboard. try a different hard drive first

Do you have another PC?

If so I'd transplant the drive and see if that does anything, might be a little stupid on my part but might be worth a shot.

what he said

Do you have another PC?

same problem

same problem

Really then I would say it is the drive after all, can't be your PC

This was a bit of a mind f**k lol

id say just use it as a data drive and get an ssd

Really then I would say it is the drive after all, can't be your PC

This was a bit of a mind f**k lol

yeah this is really difficult

id say just use it as a data drive and get an ssd

but wouldnt i get the same problem since ive tried 3 different drives and still see slow boot

yeah this is really difficult

but wouldnt i get the same problem since ive tried 3 different drives and still see slow boot

If you are having the same issues when you've placed the drive into another computer than I can't see it being anything else other than the drive, I'm no expert but I hope logic is on my side on this one lol