Planning new pc build - please help with suggestions

Hello everybody,

My first post around here, hope i will do it right :).

I have an old Dual core E5200 intel processor based rig and i really need to upgrade this granny. The only thing i do with this one
and will do with the future one is gaming (World of Tanks, Dota2, LoL, BlackOps2, maybe EveOnline). 

The currency is $ even tho i am from Romania, east Europe.

Here is the build i am planning to get:

Case: Corsair Carbide 500r Black (already ordered); - Linus just convinced me with the review on youtube -   ~ 120$

Power Supply: Sirtec 500w (already have it);                                                                                                                     ~ 60$

Processor: Intel i5 3570k or maybe wait for Haswell 4670k ?                                                                                     ~ 200$

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming or ASUS Maximus V GENE?;                                                                          190-220$

Memory: Kingston HyperX Red DDR3 1600MHz CL9 (4 x 4gb) or HyperX Red DDR3 1600MHz CL10 (2 x 8 gb);   120$

Video card: Gigabyte Nvidia gtx 650 2gigs (already owned);                                                                                       ~ 140$

CPU cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme;                                                                                                     100$

Case fans:  Cougar Pwm 120 x 3 (front) and HDB 140 x 4 (rear, top and bottom);                                                      ~ 20$ 

Fan controller: NZXT Sentry Mix or Sentry Mesh;                                                                                                           40-60$

Storage: Western Digital 500bg Sata-III 7200rpm 16mb Caviar Blue Kx                                                                  ~70$

(waiting for deals on ssd's a little expensive around here, in the future maybe 2 x Kingston 120gb sata-III 2.5inch v300 ssdnow

~ 120$ each)

Already have a LG Flatron monitor (w2241s - maybe i will dual monitor in the future), keyboard and mouse so no for peripherals. 

As i said this will be only for gaming and i am a noob in overclocking, ok i'll be honest i never did it.

Probably will upgrade the gpu/power source in the future too - could use some advice on that too (maybe a 700w psu and a
sapphire 7970).

I am really open to other suggestions and please advice me about processor, mobo and memory  :D .

The system has a red-orange theme but i don't mind other colors.

Thank you very much guys  :rolleyes:

and girls

It is pretty much abalanced rig I would suggest go for a 4x4gb kit as it is lower latency than the other one.

You forgot to include the Storage you are going to use.

And I would say wait for HASWELL.

Ah storage yes sorry. edit*

And what about the mobo, the MSI sounds good?

I suggest get Haswell. Those MSI Gaming boards look cool and you cant really go wrong with an ASUS board.

Depending on the heat where you live aswell a water cooler kit for your CPU might be a good idea. H100 on my system and it barely ever goes over 30°C. Not overclocked yet though but doing its job well.

I suggest get Haswell. Those MSI Gaming boards look cool and you cant really go wrong with an ASUS board.

Depending on the heat where you live aswell a water cooler kit for your CPU might be a good idea. H100 on my system and it barely ever goes over 30°C. Not overclocked yet though but doing its job well.

Yeah it could get pretty hot in the summer (30-35 degrees Celsius). I could go for water cooling but it will be for the first time. I am a little scared of leaks, maintenance and heard sometimes even the pump can be a liittle loud.

The thermalright rig is pretty sweet and difference between it and H100i is like close to 10-15 degrees :)

What's your budget?

Regarding your build:

Don't waste your money on the Maximus mobo. The G45 is an excellent mobo. Stick with it.

Go for the cheapest CL9 1600 16GB (2x8GB) kit you can find. Dual channel can be up to 50% faster than no dual channel but quad channel is only ~4% faster than Dual channel. Plus, it leaves 2 more slots for expansion in the future.

Interesting choice on the heatsink. Keep in mind it's like the Noctua NH-D14 but considerably louder in comparison. I recommend getting the NH-D14 as is much quieter and performs about the same.

I'd go for a samsung 840 since it's better price/performance and has an orange-ish red to it.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What's your budget?

Regarding your build:

Don't waste your money on the Maximus mobo. The G45 is an excellent mobo. Stick with it.

Go for the cheapest CL9 1600 16GB (2x8GB) kit you can find. Dual channel can be up to 50% faster than no dual channel but quad channel is only ~4% faster than Dual channel. Plus, it leaves 2 more slots for expansion in the future.

Interesting choice on the heatsink. Keep in mind it's like the Noctua NH-D14 but considerably louder in comparison. I recommend getting the NH-D14 as is much quieter and performs about the same.

I'd go for a samsung 840 since it's better price/performance and has an orange-ish red to it.

Thank you very much WoodenMarker

I will certainly consider the Noctua cooler (yes the Silver Arrow is Loud :D ) and for the mobo the G45 (the red gaming edition it's only ~30-40 bucks more). 

And about the memory stick 2x8 (cl10) will be :).

My budget is around ~800$. (could be more or less no problemo). 

Note* :  I already have a Sirtec 500w psu, Gigabyte GTX 650 gpu and the case is already bought just on the way  :) .

So i just need cpu, cpu cooler, motherboard, rams, a hdd, some fans and maybe a fan controller.

Thank you very much WoodenMarker

I will certainly consider the Noctua cooler (yes the Silver Arrow is Loud :D ) and for the mobo the G45 (the red gaming edition it's only ~30-40 bucks more). 

And about the memory stick 2x8 (cl10) will be :).

My budget is around ~800$. (could be more or less no problemo). 

Note* :  I already have a Sirtec 500w psu, Gigabyte GTX 650 gpu and the case is already bought just on the way  :) .

So i just need cpu, cpu cooler, motherboard, rams, a hdd, some fans and maybe a fan controller.

Considering your budget and information you provided, I made some changes : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/11otT $760 

There's also a $20 rebate with the gpu.

I went with the 3470 because it is pretty close to the performance of the 3570k and what you need to upgrade is your graphics. 

As for CL10, it's only faster in rendering with proper ram overclocks. In all other cases, CL9 should be faster with less hassle as well.

Included an ssd since your budget is more than enough to accommodate for one.

Increased size of hdd because the budget allowed for it.

The 7870 is an excellent card an should blow the 650 out of the water. Your psu will handle is fine. I checked but to be sure, the psu is 80+ or bronze plus right?

If there's an online store you'd rather shop at, a link would be nice. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Considering your budget and information you provided, I made some changes : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/11otT $760 

There's also a $20 rebate with the gpu.

I went with the 3470 because it is pretty close to the performance of the 3570k and what you need to upgrade is your graphics. 

As for CL10, it's only faster in rendering with proper ram overclocks. In all other cases, CL9 should be faster with less hassle as well.

Included an ssd since your budget is more than enough to accommodate for one.

Increased size of hdd because the budget allowed for it.

The 7870 is an excellent card an should blow the 650 out of the water. Your psu will handle is fine. I checked but to be sure, the psu is 80+ or bronze plus right?

If there's an online store you'd rather shop at, a link would be nice. 

I am reconsidering and probably will go with the Noctua NH-D14, the CL9 4x4 ones and probably ship the samsung 120gb ssd because over here the price is almost double  :) .

Unfortunately the psu is only 80+ branded but i think it will handle it (hope i don't break any rules by posting a local site: Sirtec 500w).

Thank you very much for the replays guys and suggestions!

I am reconsidering and probably will go with the Noctua NH-D14, the CL9 4x4 ones and probably ship the samsung 120gb ssd because over here the price is almost double  :) .

Unfortunately the psu is only 80+ branded but i think it will handle it (hope i don't break any rules by posting a local site: Sirtec 500w).

Thank you very much for the replays guys and suggestions!

A 80+ 500w psu is more than enough for the 7870. We post sites for reference all the time :P

It's good that you're cautious though.