Oh the troubles of a new GPU generation...

So i am looking for a new graphics card... Yep i know this is the part of it where people cringe at what i'm saying and what choices i will make. Which is why i came here, i couldn't find a topic for it but there you go.

So i want a GPU that hits a top end budget of Nvidia 680 money (About £400) please bear in mind i am only looking for a single card. I do not want to be bothering with the whole SLI/CF situations. 

I am open to both Nvidia and AMD card suggestions.

So here is the really hard part, i mainly play games such as BF3/Crysis/CounterStrike so FPS matters to me. The main reason for my upgrade is to be able to get a solid amount of frames when Battlefield 4 hits and my AMD radeon 7770 just won't cut it. 

So the options are very wide and as you can probably tell from the title one of the very valid options is to wait for something such as a Nvidia GTX 770 however would it be worth the extra £100 for a possible downgrade?

I will leave the opinions to you guys seen as you seem to know what your on about, Thanks anyway!  ^_^ 

PC Specs
Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Processor (With stock heat sink  :mellow:) - MSI Z77A-G43 Motherboard - Corsair Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) RAM - Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" HDD - Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GPU - Fractal Design Define R4 Case - Antec High Current Gamer 620W PSU - Sony DVD/CD Writer - Steelseries Siberia V2 - Logitech G110 - Razer Abyssus

Are you doing any rendering/editing?

If not, get the 7950.

Otherwise, get the 680.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I think it would be a good idea to wait until the NV GTX 7XX series is completely released to evaluate your options. At the moment if the pricing is right, I would probably go with a GTX770 judging how it's apparently a 680 anyways.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

If not, get the 7950.

Otherwise, get the 680.

The HIS IceQ X2 7970 is also a good card because this cooler performs great in overclocking.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

The HIS IceQ X2 7970 is also a good card because this cooler performs great in overclocking.

Or save $100 and get a 7950.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Or save $100 and get a 7950.

Yea that is also a good idea because cards like the HIS IceQ X2 7950 and the MSI Twin Frozr 3 7950 can be overclocked to beat the reference 7970.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

7950 or 7970. You can't go wrong either way. Get the Boost Edition (7950) or Gigahertz Edition (7970) ones since they tend to be the better binned ones. As for which brand, MSI or Sapphire are my favorites.

EEP Double post problems..
Click the spoiler tab on the post below.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

If not, get the 7950.

Otherwise, get the 680.

Why oh why do people keep saying "for rendering/editing" get Nvidia for CUDA, there are just as many Opencl (AMD) platforms for rendering and editing.

Before misinforming him with a "generalization of historical software uses", tell him most of the current softwares out today (and there's a LOT more than 3 software groups that people do not know about) support both Cuda/Opencl platforms, but its program dependent and his choice to use whatever he wants, not what the "masses" approve of.

+1 to the 7950, it plays all the games you mentioned with high frame rates, and a better cost for the performance you get.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Yeah but the 7950 is the better bang for the buck. When both overclocked, the 7950 and 7970 are quite close in performance.

a 7950 has great value for the price you pay, and can overclock like a beast (deepening who's card you get). But if you need the editing power from the Cuda cores, then you will have to look into a GTX 680. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

I wonder why nobody recommending the 670. Its not much slower than 680 but at much lower price. (at least in my country)

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I'd wait for non-reference cards / amd's next gen to show up before making any decisions personally.

I would probably recommend getting an HD 7950 & overclocking it, the three models that I would recommend are the Sapphire Dual-X, the MSI Twinfrozr III & the HIS IceQ X2, when those are overclocked they offer the same performance level of a 7970 Ghz Edition for 100$ less, then I would spend that 100$ on an SSD to reduce load times in BF3.
You also get Crysis 3, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, Tomb Raider & Bioshock Infinite with any 7900 series graphics card, so if you haven't played some of the included games that's a plus, if you have played some of them you can sell them on reddit.

The GTX 770 is coming out tomorrow & depending on the price & performance of that card it might be a toss up between it & the 7970 Ghz, but you only get one game with the card, all be it a good game, Metro Last Light.

Thanks for all the replies guys. The general reply was wait and see what the GTX 770 brings to the table. One thing i am not too comfortable with is overclocking the GPU. Longevity of the card is also very important to me. Thanks again!

PC Specs
Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Processor (With stock heat sink  :mellow:) - MSI Z77A-G43 Motherboard - Corsair Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) RAM - Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" HDD - Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GPU - Fractal Design Define R4 Case - Antec High Current Gamer 620W PSU - Sony DVD/CD Writer - Steelseries Siberia V2 - Logitech G110 - Razer Abyssus