Received a Copyright Claim... On a Video That Follows Fair Use...

RelentlessAF

And this is why #GamerGate is important. It's not all about some sluts sex life who made a shitty game, it's about BS like this where people are being censored for being honest and cover-ups on top of false flagging. That needs to end and gamers need to stand against it.

It's funny too, when it's censorship for honest opinions on games no one does a thing but everyone can stand together for net neutrality? They are pretty similar.

Youtube ads are still commercial even under that definition. You are exchanging ad-space for money.

Yes, but he isn't exchanging money with the viewers of said video.

It's funny too, when it's censorship for honest opinions on games no one does a thing but everyone can stand together for net neutrality? They are pretty similar.

I've been trying to get people to cancel their netflix accounts for it and noone gets it or cares.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Seems like more of a loophole than anything then.

I'd like to clarify that I'm not saying this isn't corruption nor am I saying it's right for them to request a takedown, I'm just saying their claim might actually be valid. And yes, it would be a loophole that they're exploiting.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Youtube ads are still commercial even under that definition. You are exchanging ad-space for money.

Not necessarily. Ad-space isn't a service I am providing. It's a service Google is providing.

No Idea what #GamerGate is. I don't do twitter. Or facebook, or myspace.

tl;dr version

Gamers are taking our hobby back and exposing corruption, that is the movement.

Depression Quest dev actually got into an immature Twitter rant with Adam Baldin and she got rekt Freaking Hollywood in on this now. Corrupt devs and journalists are being fought against by people tired of this BS,

I'd like to clarify that I'm not saying this isn't corruption nor am I saying it's right for them to request a takedown, I'm just saying their claim might actually be valid. And yes, it would be a loophole that they're exploiting.

Maybe, seems silly in the grand scheme of things especially for a small time YouTube channel.

I've been trying to get people to cancel their netflix accounts for it and noone gets it or cares.

A lot of people don't know about it but a fair enough amount of them do.

Maybe, seems silly in the grand scheme of things especially for a small time YouTube channel.

Some companies though...

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

You're the one approving the use of this ad-space on your video.

Also, Youtube seems to consider monetization a commercial use. Monetization in this case being ads.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/138161?hl=en

It's a pretty hazy thing, I'm approving of Google to use my video so THEY may sell ad-space. They just compensate me for allowing them to do so. That's a commercial practice to the company that is providing the necessary tools for that practice to occur. Like for instance, if someone sold you let's say a car(kind of a bad example since you sort of "own" a car) and you then tell the company that sold the car that they can sell portions of your car for ad space and make money off your car. Then a part of the deal is that they will give a portion of what they make, that's more of a deal or partnership than a commercial act.

It's a pretty hazy thing, I'm approving of Google to use my video so THEY may sell ad-space. They just compensate me for allowing them to do so. That's a commercial practice to the company that is providing the necessary tools for that practice to occur. Like for instance, if someone sold you let's say a car(kind of a bad example since you sort of "own" a car) and you then tell the company that sold the car that they can sell portions of your car for ad space and make money off your car. Then a part of the deal is that they will give a portion of what they make, that's more of a deal or partnership than a commercial act.

I agree on parts of your post. It's a grey area. Seems Google agrees too. That's why they recommend you consult an expert. They also specify that monetization requires you to secure commercial use rights to whatever game you may use in your videos. What game is even in question here? It most likely mentions something about this in its license agreement. You know, that thing you never read just click "I agree" on.

In the meantime Google does the best it can to not get into too much trouble, what with being a multi-national company and all, and just agrees to pretty much all copyright claims that come their way. Do you even know if the claim you got was made by the people who actually own the rights to the game you used footage of? Or that it wasn't just a bot?

TL;DR The point I'm trying to make here that there's plenty of good reasons to make a copyright claim on a video review of a video game which uses footage of said video game and is being monetized.

I agree on parts of your post. It's a grey area. Seems Google agrees too. That's why they recommend you consult an expert. They also specify that monetization requires you to secure commercial use rights to whatever game you may use in your videos. What game is even in question here? It most likely mentions something about this in its license agreement. You know, that thing you never read just click "I agree" on.

In the meantime Google does the best it can to not get into too much trouble, what with being a multi-national company and all, and just agrees to pretty much all copyright claims that come their way. Do you even know if the claim you got was made by the people who actually own the rights to the game you used footage of? Or that it wasn't just a bot?

TL;DR The point I'm trying to make here that there's plenty of good reasons to make a copyright claim on a video review of a video game which uses footage of said video game and is being monetized.

There was no license agreement to the game, it's also not under NDA. There aren't "good" reasons, there are just some reason they find to make the most sense to them. Censoring a video because of bad publicity whether monetized or not is not in anyway a "good" reason to do so.

Truth be told the video is YOUR original content about a game, so how it's a copyright issue I don't understand. you made the video of yourself playing the game, maybe you need to include credits or something as to who made the game and what not?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Truth be told the video is YOUR original content about a game, so how it's a copyright issue I don't understand. you made the video of yourself playing the game, maybe you need to include credits or something as to who made the game and what not?

I could do that, I doubt it would change much though.

There was no license agreement to the game, it's also not under NDA. There aren't "good" reasons, there are just some reason they find to make the most sense to them. Censoring a video because of bad publicity whether monetized or not is not in anyway a "good" reason to do so.

You're playing some random indie game then? All games by even slightly larger publishers include an end user license agreement in some form or another. Whether in the manual, during the installer, the back of the packaging or within the game folder, I can assure you, it's there.

ffs why not just say what the game is?

You're playing some random indie game then? All games by even slightly larger publishers include an end user license agreement in some form or another. Whether in the manual, during the installer, the back of the packaging or within the game folder, I can assure you, it's there.

ffs why not just say what the game is?

No it was an AAA title, there just was no point in which it asked me to agree to a ToS or EULA. Even if it's located within the game folder you have to agree to it before it applies to you. Ignoring that step and just placing it in the game folder does nothing.

No it was an AAA title, there just was no point in which it asked me to agree to a ToS or EULA. Even if it's located within the game folder you have to agree to it before it applies to you. Ignoring that step and just placing it in the game folder does nothing.

Pretty much all AAA titles are on some sort of distribution network, every single one of which includes a license agreement during install. Even UPlay!

FPOAMIk.png

Pretty much all AAA titles are on some sort of distribution network, every single one of which includes a license agreement during install. Even UPlay!

-snip-

Hmmm well regardless it seems they lifted their copyright claim.