Interested in Software Development? (IAmA)

deafboy

Wow thanks for the prompt reply. I'm still kinda in the process of seeing what's right for me in terms of starting to shape out my career. Thanks!

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Wow thanks for the prompt reply. I'm still kinda in the process of seeing what's right for me in terms of starting to shape out my career. Thanks!

Not a problem, definitely keep checking things out and seeing what you like best.

"You should always be passionate about what you're building otherwise it's work and nobody wants to work." - Kevin Rose

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

What exactly do you mean by reductions?  As in reducing the complexity of a problem?  I'd say that is paramount but within reason.  So there are certainly ways to write things that are very fast and elegant but at the same time, it has to be easily (relatively speaking) to understand because you are pretty much never the last person to look at that code and rework it.  Most compilers these days are smart enough to optimize a lot of things for you, you're not going to really need to do a taylor expansion on something to speed it up or anything like that.

We did reductions in class last year (proving something is impossible be relating it to another impossible thing). We're apparently going to have an entire course on it next year and I'm honestly a bit scared of that. Of course, I wonder how useful being able to prove impossible things is...

We did reductions in class last year (proving something is impossible be relating it to another impossible thing). We're apparently going to have an entire course on it next year and I'm honestly a bit scared of that. Of course, I wonder how useful being able to prove impossible things is...

I've done a lot of proofs, never heard it referred to as reductions though.

I have yet to ever have to do a proof in the "real world" but it's nice to be able to know how to do if you are analyzing someone else's work

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595