How can I change my RAMs latency?

Well, I own to sticks of kingston hyper x blacks.

They were made for an intel motherboard/cpu but the NCIX guy said they would work find. (I didnt know much at the time)

I own a AMD CPU.

Stick specs:

1600Mhz

9-9-9 cas latency 

1.65V

Current:

1924Mhz

11-11-11 cas latency

1.7V

Is it possible to change the latency?

Im running a MSI M5A99X EVO R2.0

Thanks

EDIT:

Should I lower my CL even lower?

1L45qIW.png

blackshades on

Increasing the speed of the memory and voltage slows the timings.

Can't you also try speeding the timings back up? It's just more load?

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Increasing the speed of the memory and voltage slows the timings.

He's asking how he can change the timings, not why they have increased because of the MHz and voltage boost. 

I'm unsure as to how you change the timings, though just remember that the CPU clock contributes to the RAM's OC. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Can't you also try speeding the timings back up? It's just more load?

Not particularly, that's a lot to ask of a RAM stick.

He's asking how he can change the timings, not why they have increased because of the MHz and voltage boost. 

I'm unsure as to how you change the timings, though just remember that the CPU clock contributes to the RAM's OC. 

You can change the timings yes, but increasing the voltage and speed of a RAM stick will make it extremely hard to reduce the timing and can kill the RAM stick if you push it too hard.

You can change the timings yes, but increasing the voltage and speed of a RAM stick will make it extremely hard to reduce the timing and can kill the RAM stick if you push it too hard.

As I suspected. It's just like increasing the voltage, do it too much and it can kill your RAM, right?

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Not particularly, that's a lot to ask of a RAM stick.

Yeh, I actually thought I put that info in my post, lol. 

I'd try and get the RAM to 1866MHz with CL9 (no idea about the voltage), though if that isn't doable than you may as well leave it at 1600MHz and CL9 as 1866MHz CL10 isn't much of an improvement. 1924MHz with anything below than CL11 might be pretty dam impossible to do. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Yeh, I actually thought I put that info in my post, lol. 

I'd try and get the RAM to 1866MHz with CL9 (no idea about the voltage), though if that isn't doable than you may as well leave it at 1600MHz and CL9 as 1866MHz CL10 isn't much of an improvement. 1924MHz with anything below than CL11 might be pretty dam impossible to do. 

I actually lowered the voltage to 1.6V at 1340+ Mhz but for some reason I still get 11CL

lgClhfq.png

blackshades on

I actually lowered the voltage to 1.6V at 1340+ Mhz but for some reason I still get 11CL

-snip-

In the BIOS there are places where you can change the timings. I highly recommend looking at a guide before attempting to do so and also do so at your own risk.

-snip-

I'm not sure about how to decrease the latency, so I can't really help out on the main question. Though I do advise you to try and reach for 1866MHz with CL9, otherwise you may as well keep it at the stock settings. 

Just be sure to know everything your doing, look up a guide on how to do so first. 

Alright thanks for the help!

I've had pretty good luck with my CPU overclocking and GPUs.

Hopefully I get this ram overclocked properly.

Ill report back once done.

blackshades on

I have a pair of HyperX Blacks, as well. It is possible to change the timings, dependant on whether your bios has the options. Maybe take a few pictures of the sub-menus. You should be looking for something that mentions "tRCD, tRPD,tRAS" and the like. I never had success running these sticks at timings under triple-9 while in the range of 1600mhz. GL with your efforts.

Motherboard: MSI 770-C45 2606Mhz HT 200Mhz Bclk | CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE 3606Mhz | GPU: ASUS R9 270 DCU2 2GB 1125MHz Core 1500Mhz vRAM

RAM: HyperX Black PC3-12800 1600MHz 9-9-9-20 | Storage: HyperX 3K 120GB SSD SATA II + 570GB| PSU: EVGA 500B 500W              

F@H Stats: 7,077,384pts x 576wu (08/14/2015)                                                                                                    green=stock setting     red=above spec     blue=below spec

System Name: Rocinante = "workhorse"                                                                                                                                           

I have a pair of HyperX Blacks, as well. It is possible to change the timings, dependant on whether your bios has the options. Maybe take a few pictures of the sub-menus. You should be looking for something that mentions "tRCD, tRPD,tRAS" and the like. I never had success running these sticks at timings under triple-9 while in the range of 1600mhz. GL with your efforts.

Yep I found them.

blackshades on

I cant seem to raise the Mhz. Its at 1606Mhz but the I did get 8-9-9-24

Should I try to lower the other 9's to 8's?

Thanks

1L45qIW.png

blackshades on

I cant seem to raise the Mhz. Its at 1606Mhz but the I did get 8-9-9-24

Should I try to lower the other 9's to 8's?

Thanks

Well, I think the CAS Latency is one of the more important values, so I would give it a try. Don't be surprised if it responds negatively to that though, ... mine didn't take to CL 8 very stable. Given my memory controller is only rated for 1333 max, I've done pretty well so far. Depending on your cpu, it may work. I would say try 8-8-8-27-33 then 8-8-8-24-33 to ease into it. I'm not the memory expert around here but that's the best I've got. GL

Motherboard: MSI 770-C45 2606Mhz HT 200Mhz Bclk | CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE 3606Mhz | GPU: ASUS R9 270 DCU2 2GB 1125MHz Core 1500Mhz vRAM

RAM: HyperX Black PC3-12800 1600MHz 9-9-9-20 | Storage: HyperX 3K 120GB SSD SATA II + 570GB| PSU: EVGA 500B 500W              

F@H Stats: 7,077,384pts x 576wu (08/14/2015)                                                                                                    green=stock setting     red=above spec     blue=below spec

Well, I think the CAS Latency is one of the more important values, so I would give it a try. Don't be surprised if it responds negatively to that though, ... mine didn't take to CL 8 very stable. Given my memory controller is only rated for 1333 max, I've done pretty well so far. Depending on your cpu, it may work. I would say try 8-8-8-27-33 then 8-8-8-24-33 to ease into it. I'm not the memory expert around here but that's the best I've got. GL

Alright, tried both and no luck :(

8-9-9-24 @ 1606Mhz seems stable.

I do notice a small speed improvement coming from 11-11-11-27.

Thanks everyone.

blackshades on

Alright, tried both and no luck :(

8-9-9-24 @ 1606Mhz seems stable.

I do notice a small speed improvement coming from 11-11-11-27.

Thanks everyone.

Yea, even 1600mhx CL 9 is very decent. I would go the other way now and push the mhz on CL 9, if you haven't already. It may not make that much of a difference outside of benchmarking, but ....