When Will AMD Motherboards Use PCI Express 3

I was just wondering when PCIE 3 will be coming to AMD motherboards?

I really want to get behind AMD but I'm not sure if not having PCIE 3 is a deal breaker.

Will PCIE 3 make a difference now and in the future for gaming with a 7970?

At CES Asus announced the new AM3+ Sabertooth board which I believe is the first one that will implement PCI-E 3.0. As for the future, it will really make no difference with a single card in a 16x 3.0 or 2.0 unless your really concerned about benchmarks.

The Major difference is found when running SLI or Crossfire as usually the lanes are then restricted to 8x. In the case of PCI-E 2.0 this would cause a little dip in performance if the cards were running maxed out but, with PCI-E 3.0 the bandwidth is double that of 2.0 and an 8x 3.0 lane has the bandwidth of a 16x 2.0 lane meaning there is no performance drop.

Cas's spec's(800D):
3570k @ 4.7GHz
H100 Push/Pull SP120's
GTX 680 @ 1345MHZ w/ DWOOD Brack & Antec 620
16GB 1866MHz Dominator Platinum
ASRock z77 Extreme 6
128GB Vertex 4
2 x 1TB WD Caviar Blue
B/W sleeved Corsair HX1000

Noting officially from AMD, but as Ezekiel mentioned Asus had some AM3+ board(s) with PCI-E 3.0.... The difference is in bandwith but you will not see it in gaming, the difference is so little.... Maybe in the future but by that time prob all AMD stuff will be PCI-E 3.0

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

This is a good thread. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't PCI-E 3.0 an Intel invention?

Having a motherboard with PCI-E 3.0 support is more future proof but as of right now they're backwards compatible and not much benefits are there from using a PCI-E 3.0 in a PCI-E 2.0 socket.

You can read more in depth here, http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/...ance_review/14 (Read Conclusion for the TL;DR)

PCIe 3.0 does not make a difference from PCIe 2.0 with modern graphics cards, unless you are running 4x SLI on an 1155 platform.

perfrel_1920.gif

ASUS do have a PCIe 3.0 AMD motherboard. but interms of gaming on a single card. there is not performance differences in any tangible manner. but if you are going to be doing quard-sli or quard-crossfire then PCIe 3.0 will come in to play. but if you are talking about gamin. that is not yet relevant. it doesnt matter if you have PCIe 3.0 or not. because you will run in to other bottlenecks way before you will be PCIe bandwidth limited.

ASUS has PCIE 3.0 on some AMD boards but that's about it

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

It will take some time.

there is speculation that AMD won't even place controllers in their new upcomming 1090fx chipset (if it comes out in that name).

but is it really needed? i don't think so.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

asus new am3+ sabertooth motherboard has pci-e gen3, but only the graphicscards can use it. so it only makes sense when using crossfire or sli. comunication between the cpu and the gpu(s) is still over pci-e gen2

This is a good thread. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't PCI-E 3.0 an Intel invention?
The PCI standard is specified by the PCI-SIG, which consists of many companies. It is chaired by IBM, and Intel, AMD, and NVIDIA are among the board of directors.