Is anyone good at precalculus?

I am trying to study for a test and I am having a bit of trouble understanding this. 

95JZ4xa.png

Could someone provide an explanation of this problem? 

The answers are y = x3, y = x, y = 1/x, y = sin(x).

An odd function is a function where -f(x) = f(-x). That is, a function that when reflected in the y axis is identical to when it is reflected in the x axis. Think of y = x, when you reflect it in the x axis it becomes y = -x, when you reflect it in the y axis it becomes y = -x again, thus the function is 'odd'.

Edit: If y = int(x) means round down to next integer. Then it is a piecewise stepped function of y = x and I think is odd too.

The answers are y = x3, y = x, y = 1/x, y = sin(x).

An odd function is a function where -f(x) = f(-x). That is, a function that when reflected in the y axis is identical to when it is reflected in the x axis. Think of y = x, when you reflect it in the x axis it becomes y = -x, when you reflect it in the y axis it becomes y = -x again, thus the function is 'odd'.

BTW what does y = int(x) mean? Integral of x? If so that is y = 0.5*x2 which is not odd.

thank you!

BTW what does y = int(x) mean? Integral of x? If so that is y = 0.5*x2 which is not odd.

int(x) means to truncate all the decimal from x.

e.g.

2.5872 -> 2

4.9999 -> 4

5398.298521 -> 5398

thank you!

No worries mate

int(x) means to truncate all the decimal from x.

e.g.

2.5872 -> 2

4.9999 -> 4

5398.298521 -> 5398

Ahhhh so it's how you write y = x%1 (computer talk)

No worries mate

Ahhhh so it's how you write y = x%1 (computer talk)

well, kinda... assuming %  is the modulo operator it would be more like

y = x - x % 1

because x % 1 = the decimals of the number

Omg I have to learn this next year  :wacko:

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Omg I have to learn this next year  :wacko:

If you paid attention in Alg2/Trig you should be fine.

Most of it is just applying information you already know.

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

If you paid attention in Alg2/Trig you should be fine.

Most of it is just applying information you already know.

Calculus is much easier to get your head around than circular functions. You get a bunch of rules, then you have to look at a function and decide which ones to apply where and bob's your uncle :P I'm sure everyone here will smash it

well, kinda... assuming %  is the modulo operator it would be more like

y = x - x % 1

because x % 1 = the decimals of the number

Yeah sorry, mind blank :P

Yeah sorry, mind blank :P

Trying to mix Math and Compsci for me doesn't work either xP

Damn, how many math subjects do you people have? Here, it's all just a single math subject.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Damn, how many math subjects do you people have? Here, it's all just a single math subject.

I'm now studying electrical engineering so I have lots :P

I'm now studying electrical engineering so I have lots :P

I also study electrical engineering, and we still have only one at once...

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

I also study electrical engineering, and we still have only one at once...

I'm counting electromagnetism and signals as maths cos they're so heavily maths based for me

I'm counting electromagnetism and signals as maths cos they're so heavily maths based for me

That's true.Are you still doing your bachelor's degree or are you already in master's program?

Spoiler

That's true.Are you still doing your bachelor's degree or are you already in master's program?

Bachelors, with honours that is compulsory. You? Here all you need for medicine/law/engineering is an undergrad to be qualified, no need to do a masters if you pick the right course :)

Bachelors, with honours that is compulsory. You? Here all you need for medicine/law/engineering is an undergrad to be qualified, no need to do a masters if you pick the right course :)

One more exam to finish bachelor's program, then I go to master's in October.

Spoiler