X79 vs X99

I'm curious. What would be the difference between a X99 mobo + 5820k and a LGA 2011 with an i7 4930k? 

I know X99 can support DDR4, but would there be a big difference in performance between these two chips? Or is it not really possible to predict this at this point?

If the difference would be minimal, I'm tempted to buy a LGA2011 if prices would drop (a lot).

Edited title. Silly op was silly.

It is said, that civilised man seeks out good and intelligent company, so that through learned discourse he may rise above the savage and closer to God. Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total dickhead to remind me I'm best! 

X99 is the platform. The socket is LGA 2011.

X79 is also socket 2011 

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

X99 is LGA2011

actually 2011v3 xD

OP, difference is if you know what you need. x99 has more storage options than x79. also, haswell is some 5% faster clock for clock than ivy. and the 5820k has less PCIe lanes

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

X99 is 2011-3, theres a difference

Not a physical one.

I'm curious. What would be the difference between a X99 mobo + 5820k and a LGA 2011 with an i7 4930k? 

I know X99 can support DDR4, but would there be a big difference in performance between these two chips? Or is it not really possible to predict this at this point?

If the difference would be minimal, I'm tempted to buy a LGA2011 if prices would drop (a lot).

Like askew wrote "X99 is LGA2011" it'a new socket revision. The X79 platform was 2011-0 now it's X99 2011-3.

5820K is going to be like a 4930K but with less PCI-E Gen3 lanes, ofc supports DDR4 (with the heavy expense) both are K'ingsley series i7 so overclocking ia go-go thing & tdp slightly higher but has a way lower wattage output.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

@Askew @LukaP @ Edited the title. Silly op was silly :'(

But aside of the mobo, would there be a massive difference between the two chips I mentioned?

It is said, that civilised man seeks out good and intelligent company, so that through learned discourse he may rise above the savage and closer to God. Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total dickhead to remind me I'm best! 

X99 is 2011-3, theres a difference

The only difference is that 2011-3 has a tiny change in the socket area so that you cannot use X79 stuff in it.

that and the chipset details for X79, look at it, same amount of pins, same layout on the pins, intel could have allowed you to use your old X79 stuff but no, that would've been too nice.

Not a physical one.

actally the pins arent in the same places, so even physically its different ;)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

actally the pins arent in the same places, so even physically its different ;)

Yes a physical one.

show me

show me

check left bottom corner on ivy EP and haswell EP, they use the same sockets iirc

Three-Different-Intel-Xeon-LGA-2011-Sock

show me

Hold down bracket is different for starters, also its speculation but pin placement is different

check left bottom corner on ivy EP and haswell EP, they use the same sockets iirc

Hold down bracket is different for starters, also its speculation but pin placement is different

OK if the image is genuine I stand corrected good job.

Not a physical one.

Yes a physical one. The wiring is different and Intel has confirmed this. If you try to put a 4960x in a 2011-3 socket it will light up light a dry christmas tree in the Sahara desert.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

X99 is LGA2011

X79 is the old chipset, X99 is the new one.

X99 is also LGA 2011-3 meaning it's not backwards compatible with LGA 2011-2 (X79) and vice versa.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Yes a physical one. The wiring is different and Intel has confirmed this. If you try to put a 4960x in a 2011-3 socket it will light up light a dry christmas tree in the Sahara desert.

X99 is also LGA 2011-3 meaning it's not backwards compatible with LGA 2011-2 (X79) and vice versa.

I have corrected it now, if you scrolled down you would have seen I had already been corrected.

I have corrected it now, if you scrolled down you would have seen I had already been corrected.

NP, just thought I'd make sure everybody has the right info.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Three-Different-Intel-Xeon-LGA-2011-Sock

So basically they moved the die slightly and called it a new socket ?.

It's all about having the most efficient model of I/O to the various buses.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

they probably figured a way to put the pins there more effectively, using less copper in the die, less different connections, so faster links (PCIe, QPI, etc)

The difference isn't really a performance one.  X99 boards will have much more modern I/O though.  DDR4 for starters, but X79 did not have any native USB 3.0, and only two SATA 6Gbps ports.  Sadly no SATA Express but it looks like a lot of boards will add that with 3rd party controllers.

x99 is for the newer architecture HSW-E chips which have improved performance per core over IVB-E

just like the 4770k is better than the 3770k

the 5930k is better than the 4930k

no info on performance yet, but it will definitely be noticeable.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The difference isn't really a performance one.  X99 boards will have much more modern I/O though.  DDR4 for starters, but X79 did not have any native USB 3.0, and only two SATA 6Gbps ports.  Sadly no SATA Express but it looks like a lot of boards will add that with 3rd party controllers.

And this is another reason why I'm sure LGA2011 will die with Skylake. SATA needs to die altogether. We need to kill the SATA bus except for 2 3Gbps ports for high-capacity spinning rust, and the other ports can be replaced by a new micro-PCIe connector so we don't lose overall expansion.