Impossible to boot from USB drive - Made bootable on OSX

Hello everyone,

my friend assembled his very first computer two days ago and he's having trouble installing the OS. He has an .iso file for Windows, and he made his USB bootable with it using this tutorial :

http://borgstrom.ca/2010/10/14/os-x-bootable-usb.html

The process went well, but when he tries to boot from it he keeps getting a "No boot media available" - something like that, I don't remember the exact text. 

He went in the BIOS, and only the hard drive (1TB Segate Barracuda) shows up at the bottom on the list of boot devices. When he clicks on "Boot settings", he can see the Kingston USB there and he selects it, then the BIOS will exit and it will display the message about no media found.

Everything is loading fine, I don't think it's a hardware problem since his PC is running fine, no warning beeps or anything. Here are the specs : 

FX-8320

ASUS M5A97 LE 2.0

8GB of Kingston RAM

GTX 760

NZXT Source 210 Elite

EVGA 500W PSU

He did format it in "MS-DOT (Fat)", which is the correct format I suppose since all the other ones are for OSX only.

If he can't get it to work he's going to try a DVD, but it'd be cool to have a working bootable USB.

So, is there anything else that he can try? He's doing the procedure again at the moment (formatting the USB stick and mounting the ISO on it) but it will take a while to complete.

Is there anything else to watch for when booting from USB?

Thanks all for your help. :)

Hello everyone,

So, is there anything else that he can try? He's doing the procedure again at the moment (formatting the USB stick and mounting the ISO on it) but it will take a while to complete.

Misread

\

wait what??? so he is using a tutorial made for making a osx install usb stick but instead you replace the osx image with a windows image??? 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Hello everyone,

my friend assembled his very first computer two days ago and he's having trouble installing the OS. He has an .iso file for Windows, and he made his USB bootable with it using this tutorial :

http://borgstrom.ca/2010/10/14/os-x-bootable-usb.html

The process went well, but when he tries to boot from it he keeps getting a "No boot media available" - something like that, I don't remember the exact text. 

He went in the BIOS, and only the hard drive (1TB Segate Barracuda) shows up at the bottom on the list of boot devices. When he clicks on "Boot settings", he can see the Kingston USB there and he selects it, then the BIOS will exit and it will display the message about no media found.

Everything is loading fine, I don't think it's a hardware problem since his PC is running fine, no warning beeps or anything. Here are the specs : 

FX-8320

ASUS M5A97 LE 2.0

8GB of Kingston RAM

GTX 760

NZXT Source 210 Elite

EVGA 500W PSU

He did format it in "MS-DOT (Fat)", which is the correct format I suppose since all the other ones are for OSX only.

If he can't get it to work he's going to try a DVD, but it'd be cool to have a working bootable USB.

can you not access another computer that doesnt run mac but linux or windows instead

Steve

wait what??? so he is using a tutorial made for making a osx install usb stick but instead you replace the osx image with a windows image??? 

He's using the same guide but he "adapted" the procedure to end up with something that would work for a "windows compatible bootable usb".

It's very hard to find a decent tutorials on how to make a bootable USB for Windows in OSX.

can you not access another computer that doesnt run mac but linux or windows instead

Yes I suppose he can, is it possible to do it from OSX or not at all?

He's using the same guide but he "adapted" the procedure to end up with something that would work for a "windows compatible bootable usb".

It's very hard to find a decent tutorials on how to make a bootable USB for Windows in OSX.

where did you get the windows image from. it might be the image. -----> http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetbootin/files/UNetbootin/608/unetbootin-mac-608.zip/download?use_mirror=garr <---- use dis

Steve

where did you get the windows image from. it might be the image. -----> http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetbootin/files/UNetbootin/608/unetbootin-mac-608.zip/download?use_mirror=garr <---- use dis

I don't know where he got it from, thanks for the links though. We'll see how it goes, he can probably use his dad's computer (running on Windows 7) to make the bootable USB from there, that might be easier?

just go the to the usb stick and go to the restore tab and use a windows iso

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

I don't know where he got it from, thanks for the links though. We'll see how it goes, he can probably use his dad's computer (running on Windows 7) to make the bootable USB from there, that might be easier?

unetbootin should do the job

Steve