Windows activation question

Can you re-use the code on an OEM PC if you re-install the same version of windows on it?

Build: Fx-8120@4.1ghz,  Gtx770@1.0ghz,  16gb Patriot memory,  Cheap case from thermaltake

Yep, I've done it like 6 times on my laptop with no problems.

CPU - Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.60GHz 1.264v | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16.0GB (2x8GB) | Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77 WS | Graphics - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | Storage -  120 GB Samsung 840 EVO | PSU - Corsair RM650 | Case - Corsair 550D

Yep, I've done it like 6 times on my laptop with no problems.

Thanks! :)

Build: Fx-8120@4.1ghz,  Gtx770@1.0ghz,  16gb Patriot memory,  Cheap case from thermaltake

You can install it on many devices, aslong as you dont get caught. Same goes with Office, just get on the phone and make up some excuse on why you are using the same key.

Can you re-use the code on an OEM PC if you re-install the same version of windows on it?

I believe the OEM versions of Windows works for the first computer you install on but its the motherboard that its locked to, so if for whatever reason you need to replace the motherboard then you will need to contact Microsoft and they can sort it out.

Cry Havoc!

That depends if it is a COA key or an OEM key. OEM keys are usually licenced when people buy OEM Windows disks such as: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416804&cm_re=windows_7_oem-_-32-416-804-_-Product

OEM keys are single use (technically). What happens is that Windows calculates a checksum against your hardware, replacing a GPU, RAM, or storage device won't change this checksum, but a platform update or CPU upgrade will almost always de-validate windows. The only way to reactivate is via calling in.

COA keys are usually found from big name brands like HP, Dell, Acer... COA keys are actually slightly more unique in that they have an unlimited amount of reuse cycles, but only on that platform, and not on another machine.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.