Wooden case heat?

wildgg

Hi.

I'm new to this forum so sorry if i placed this topic wrong :S

but i have a question: im planning to build my own wooden case of mdf wood, is there anyproblem with heat? so yes what can i do to make it not to go up in flames. please your opinion.

sorry for the bad english i know its terrible :P

Tom

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

It shouldn't light on fire. If it does, I think you have more issues than just your case.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I mean it will get hot, but maybe not to the point that it will catch on fire.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

I mean it will get hot, but maybe not to the point that it will catch on fire.

Can't be any worse than a metal case, as metal cases conduct heat (I think) better than wood. Much better than wood.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

It takes a lot of heat to set wood on fire. you'll be fine. Just be sure to ventilate your parts so your parts don't get too hot.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Can't be any worse than a metal case, as metal cases conduct heat (I think) better than wood. Much better than wood.

Yeah good point and loads of people have metal cases. I think it will also depend on the wood though, in terms of the way it's finished.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

try gettin a big 230mm fan it is quiet and moves a LOT of air

You shouldn't worry about fires. The problem with wood is that it's a really good insulator so heat will be trapped inside if you don't have good airflow because it cannot escape through conduction. Shouldn't be too much of a problem if you have good setup of fans and air can go in and back out easily.

More than any other build though, stay away from bad power supplies, because if that bursts into flames then your whole rig is coming down :lol:...

You shouldn't worry about fires. The problem with wood is that it's a really good insulator so heat will be trapped inside if you don't have good airflow because it cannot escape through conduction. Shouldn't be too much of a problem if you have good setup of fans and air can go in and back out easily.

More than any other build though, stay away from bad power supplies, because if that bursts into flames then your whole rig is coming down :lol:...

"My rig is on fire." "I know. It's so amazing." "No seriously. It's on fire."

Of course you need to have decent airflow through your case to keep components frosty, but there really ought not to be any fire danger. People mount  car audio amps, which can get reasonably hot, to mdf boxes all the time so I'd say you are pretty safe from fire.

"My rig is on fire." "I know. It's so amazing." "No seriously. It's on fire."

If you have a wooden case, be sure to water cool it. It could be like those sprinkler systems in buildings.

My System: CPU: Intel i5 3570K GPU: 2x Radeon HD 7950 (crossfire)  RAM: Patriot Viper Extreme 16GB 1600MHz Mobo: ASUS Maximus V Formula HDD: 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB (Raid 0), 1x WD Caviar Red 2TB, 1x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB PSU: Corsair AX850 Gold  -  CPU+Graphics cards watercooled by full custom loop.