California Passes Law Mandating Smart Phone Kill Switch

Real_PhillBert

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2598680/california-passes-law-mandating-smartphone-kill-switch.html

Smartphones sold in California will soon be required to have a kill switch that lets users remotely lock them and wipe them of data in the event they are lost or stolen.

But wait there's more...

The legislation requires a system that, if triggered by an authorized user, will lock a handset to essentially make it useless. The feature must be installed and activated in new smartphones, but users will be able to deactivate it if they desire, and it must be resistant to attempts to reinstall the operating system.

Police can also use the tool, but only under the conditions of the existing section 7908 of the California Public Utilities Code. That gives police the ability to cut off phone service in certain situations and typically requires a court order, except in an emergency that poses “immediate danger of death or great bodily injury.”

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

The alpacalypse is coming!

Oi! that's my line.

4-star-wars-quotes.gif

(Why do I feel shameful for using this?)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Oi! that's my line.

4-star-wars-quotes.gif lies! I used it yesterday irl

(Why do I feel shameful for using this?)

Diamond 5 in League :)

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro