Can't install .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 8.1

Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

What I would suggest, is don't install any drivers yet, don't bother activating Windows either, not until it is fix, in the case you need to re-install Windows once more for what ever reason.

First thing first install .NET 3.5. If it works, then install your drivers.

Once all is good, now activate Windows, and do your Windows updates

I'm on a fresh install of Windows 8.1, just upgraded to Windows 8 two days ago and installed 8.1 yesterday. Having issues getting Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 installed.

Things I've tried:

• Install from prompt after opening app that requires it (Puush)
    • Returned 0x800f0906 error
  • Install from enabling it in Windows Feature through Control Panel
    • Returned 0x800f0906 error
  • Install from media/windows 8 USB
    • Returned 0x800f081f error
  • Tried cleaning dism and restoring it's health to fix 0x800F081F
    • Yielded no results, giving same errors.
  • Tried contacting Microsoft support
    • Asked to pay $99 paid support, didn't want to pay for a supposed to be simple thing
    • And I just BOUGHT Windows 8 yeah?
  • downloading sxs file from the internet to install .NET Framework 3.5
    • Returned same 0x800f081f error

I'm out of options, at least that's all that my Googling power managed to find. Can someone assist me please? Thanks in advance

Let me know if there's any other information that I should be giving.

UPDATE

First of all, thank you GoodBytes, you sir is a good man! Out of all the people I reached out on the internet, no one came around to assist even the slightest.

After the suggestion on possibly having issues with the initial ISO I've upgraded my Vista PC with, I decided to re-download a clean, fresh ISO from Microsoft using the Windows 8 Installer. I proceeded to re-install Windows 8 and right after installing the OS, I didn't even bother with Chrome, which is what I normally always do first and continued to try and enable Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 from Windows Features in the Control Panel.

After about 2 minutes, it installed without a hitch! I don't know exactly what was wrong with the initial ISO provided by a friend of mine, but the freshly downloaded ISO installed the framework without a problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2734782

I don't think your clean install is really clean. You have something that changed Windows configurations or files.

.NET 3.5 installs fine on all my Windows 8 systems, and have done a re-install recently as well, and again no problem.

I install it via 'Add/Remove Features' as it's easy.

I would look at what you installed.

I am thinking you install a software or some bad drivers that included in the setup for it's own control panel files set to override Windows files, because the developers (probably outsourced to India or China, it usually is), doesn't know any better, or pressured for release and that was their fix. Or you changed something in the system, like a group policy or installed a tweak utility of Windows which replaced Windows files (again, something that a problem should NEVER EVER do).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2734782

I don't think your clean install is really clean. You have something that changed Windows configurations or files.

.NET 3.5 installs fine on all my Windows 8 systems, and have done a re-install recently as well, and again no problem.

I install it via 'Add/Remove Features' as it's easy.

I would look at what you installed.

I am thinking you install a software or some bad drivers that included in the setup for it's own control panel files set to override Windows files, because the developers (probably outsourced to India or China, it usually is), doesn't know any better, or pressured for release and that was their fix. Or you changed something in the system, like a group policy or installed a tweak utility of Windows which replaced Windows files (again, something that a problem should NEVER EVER do).

I don't know how clean is clean. I wiped my hard drive prior to installing. I am probably the only one who has issues with this apparently. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but upon contacting HP for support, they mentioned my prior history of being on a 32 bit system might have something to do with it. Whats the next best option to try? Reinstall OS? Cause I'd really hate to have to re-download Windows 8 ISO, fearing if re-installing is the case there might be something wrong with the ISO from my friend.

I don't know how clean is clean. I wiped my hard drive prior to installing. I am probably the only one who has issues with this apparently. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but upon contacting HP for support, they mentioned my prior history of being on a 32 bit system might have something to do with it. Whats the next best option to try? Reinstall OS? Cause I'd really hate to have to re-download Windows 8 ISO, fearing if re-installing is the case there might be something wrong with the ISO from my friend.

How did you friend got the ISO? Be sure it's from OEM download or disk, and not online like Torrent. You never know the integrity of the ISO as it is from an untrusted source.

But, may I ask, why did you re-install Windows this way. To re-install Windows 8, all you need to do is go in PC Settings > Update and Recovery > Recovery > Remove everything and re-install Windows. The backup image is on the system drive. Microsoft did this, as they were tired that OEM where too cheap to include the Windows disk, let alone recover DVD's. In addition, Tablets and Ultrabooks don't have optical drives.

How did you friend got the ISO? Be sure it's from OEM download or disk, and not online like Torrent. You never know the integrity of the ISO as it is from an untrusted source.

But, may I ask, why did you re-install Windows this way. To re-install Windows 8, all you need to do is go in PC Settings > Update and Recovery > Recovery > Remove everything and re-install Windows. The backup image is on the system drive. Microsoft did this, as they were tired that OEM where too cheap to include the Windows disk, let alone recover DVD's. In addition, Tablets and Ultrabooks don't have optical drives.

My friend got the ISO downloaded from the Windows setup, though I'll never know cause I'll just have to trust him on that. It isn't one of those crack versions though. So should I just re-download a copy of Windows 8 through the Windows Setup thing or will a reinstall from the recovery do the trick?

I upgraded my PC from Windows Vista, it was running extremely slow and while I'm at it I thought, sure why not install Windows 8. Bought it, got the 64 bit ISO from my friend and I'm here.

Ok. So you should be fine.

Did you try the instructions in the link I posted?

Ok. So you should be fine.

Did you try the instructions in the link I posted?

yep, tried that and just about every googleable solution there is. Ran out of options so now digging around for help.

Re-downloading the ISO from Microsoft to see if that will fix it.

Well, if you want to try something.

Contact Gov Maharaj at Microsoft Channel9 - Defrag Show at: DefragShow[at]Microsoft.com

If you do, let me know.

Use Steps Recorder to show what you are doing and the result you get. (Start or Win+Q > type: Steps Recorder > Enter). A pretty nifty tool built-in into Windows.

He might be able to help you. Write a detail post on what you are doing, include the Steps Recorder file with the e-mail, stay professional, and he might be able to help you, if your question is picked.

Well, if you want to try something.

Contact Gov Maharaj at Microsoft Channel9 - Defrag Show at: DefragShow[at]Microsoft.com

If you do, let me know.

Use Steps Recorder to show what you are doing and the result you get. (Start or Win+Q > type: Steps Recorder > Enter). A pretty nifty tool built-in into Windows.

He might be able to help you. Write a detail post on what you are doing, include the Steps Recorder file with the e-mail, stay professional, and he might be able to help you, if your question is picked.

Oh I see that's cool. I'm going to try and re-install windows. With a freshly downloaded copy of the ISO. I'll record everything I do from that point on and keep this thread updated.

What I would suggest, is don't install any drivers yet, don't bother activating Windows either, not until it is fix, in the case you need to re-install Windows once more for what ever reason.

First thing first install .NET 3.5. If it works, then install your drivers.

Once all is good, now activate Windows, and do your Windows updates