Windows not installing

Paper Moon

Hello again after getting some help with a no bootup problem I'm going to get some help with 64 bit windows 8.1 professional edition not installing. Now here's what happened. After the install button coming up i inserted the product key it had a went to prepare the files fire installation for about 6 hours it then fails and j was forced to force shut down my computer i restated it and then it was just a black screen with a white bar like it was ready to type old code. Here are the specs if it matters http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8MtTZL

did you format the HDD before installing windows?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Installing from USB or Optical?

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

did you make sure your bios settings are ok 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

This^

Also, are you plugging it in to a USB 2.0 or 3.0?

"Rampage IV" - Gaming PC

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced    EVGA GeForce GTX 980                            ASUS VE278H 27in LED Monitor x 3

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition         G.Skill Trident X 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz     Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W

i7 4930k - Overclocked @ 4.5GHz     Samsung 850 SSD 250GB x2 RAID 0           Western Digital Blue 1TB

Logitech G930 Wireless Headset      Razer Naga 2012 MMO Gaming Mouse      Logitech G710+ Mechanical Keyboard

"EMCMS-ESXI" - Server

HPZ800 Workstation Chassis           Seagate 4TB NAS Drive x 4 RAID Z           48GB ECC Elpida DDR3 SDRAM

Xeon E5620 @ 2.66GHz x 2             PNY CS2211 240GB SSD                          HP 80 PLUS Silver APFC PSU - 1110W

LSI 9211-8i SAS in IT Mode

This^

Also, are you plugging it in to a USB 2.0 or 3.0?

^ This is a good point... if you are installing from USB make sure that you have it plugged into USB 2.0, NOT USB 3.0... I cant tell you the number of times that I have made that mistake.

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

^ This is a good point... if you are installing from USB make sure that you have it plugged into USB 2.0, NOT USB 3.0... I cant tell you the number of times that I have made that mistake.

I had that USB 2.0/3.0 issue on MSI boards, if it were an ASUS board, you literally have to plug it in to the USB 3.0 to boot from it, and then once it loaded the installation window, I had to remove it from a USB 3.0 and plug it to a 2.0 otherwise it'd tell me installation files were missing.

"Rampage IV" - Gaming PC

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced    EVGA GeForce GTX 980                            ASUS VE278H 27in LED Monitor x 3

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition         G.Skill Trident X 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz     Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W

i7 4930k - Overclocked @ 4.5GHz     Samsung 850 SSD 250GB x2 RAID 0           Western Digital Blue 1TB

Logitech G930 Wireless Headset      Razer Naga 2012 MMO Gaming Mouse      Logitech G710+ Mechanical Keyboard

"EMCMS-ESXI" - Server

HPZ800 Workstation Chassis           Seagate 4TB NAS Drive x 4 RAID Z           48GB ECC Elpida DDR3 SDRAM

Xeon E5620 @ 2.66GHz x 2             PNY CS2211 240GB SSD                          HP 80 PLUS Silver APFC PSU - 1110W

LSI 9211-8i SAS in IT Mode

did you format the HDD before installing windows?

No

Optical drive

did you make sure your bios settings are ok 

They appear so

No

A new HDD needs to be formatted to NTFS or AHCI before you put anything on it. This is why it is failing.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

A new HDD needs to be formatted to NTFS or AHCI before you put anything on it. This is why it is failing.

ntfs or ahci? what now 

edit: no it does not NEED to be formatted its recomended but not needed 

-Adolf Hitler 

Windows formats the target drive during the install process.

To the OP:

Make sure you are booting via UEFI not BIOS. Follow the instructions here: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2328-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows-8-a.html

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

ntfs or ahci? what now 

edit: no it does not NEED to be formatted its recomended but not needed 

I booted up my computer again now the installation gets to the part where you select the drive you want to install and Ive come across this problem http://imgur.com/zZJyWaG

Note this is happening on both drives and I didnt Partition them myself I dont know how those got there

I booted up my computer again now the installation gets to the part where you select the drive you want to install and Ive come across this problem http://imgur.com/zZJyWaG

follow this:

Windows formats the target drive during the install process.

To the OP:

Make sure you are booting via UEFI not BIOS. Follow the instructions here: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2328-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows-8-a.html

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Note this is happening on both drives and I didnt Partition them myself I dont know how those got there

That is where you're supposed to format the drive. Click 'format' first.

Spoiler

No. He has to delete the MBR partitions because he in installing on a UEFI system.

No. He has to delete the MBR partitions because he in installing on a UEFI system.

Can somebody point me to which one is correct?

like @ionbasa said clicking format will do jack shit and personaly i would just "clean" the disk to do this i think you need to click on repair this computer before clicking install on this pc then let it do its thing after it couldnt find anything click finish or cancel then you will come to a menu where you can select some crap the click on command line interface after you got a little black windows type in "diskpart" then click enter after its done type "list disk" then it should say something along the lines of disk 0 space=bla etc etc the type "sel disk 0" then type "clean" and when its done just restart the computer and try to install windows 

-Adolf Hitler 

Can somebody point me to which one is correct?

If you read: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2328-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows-8-a.html

You will realize that you have to delete all the partitions. Formatting won't help as that drive has an MBR partition layout instead of a GPT Disk layout.

If you read: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2328-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows-8-a.html

You will realize that you have to delete all the partitions. Formatting won't help as that drive has an MBR partition layout instead of a GPT Disk layout.

I apparently have 2 UEFI systems http://imgur.com/8g0kpH7 help?

I apparently have 2 UEFI systems http://imgur.com/8g0kpH7 help?

Select "UEFI: (FAT) ASUS    drw-24b1st   c"

Select "UEFI: (FAT) ASUS    drw-24b1st   c"

After doing so, it went to copying window files and then this came up http://imgur.com/ChWFD09

Note: Nevermind that, my fault

After doing so, it went to copying window files and then this came up http://imgur.com/ChWFD09

Note: Nevermind that, my fault

Ok, so did everything install properly? If it did, make sure to mark this thread as solved.

Ok, so did everything install properly? If it did, make sure to mark this thread as solved.

Im not sure it still says 'Getting files ready for installation' and its at 34% and its been about 3-4 hours

Im not sure it still says 'Getting files ready for installation' and its at 34% and its been about 3-4 hours

How did you obtain the Windows install? Is it a OEM disk?