Anyone gone from a Nexus 5 to HTC One/Sony Z?

dizmo

I was wondering just what the title says; has anyone gone from using a Nexus 5 to using an HTC One (either one)?

Or even a Sony Z series?

I've had my Nexus for a while now, and while I love it, the speaker placement is absolutely abysmal. I have no idea why people would prefer bottom firing speakers to a rear mounted speaker.

At least with a rear mounted speaker, I can still hold the phone from the sides and cup it so that the sound fires towards me. With bottom mounted I have no options other than an awkward grip.

I see the new Moto X will likely have dual front facing speakers.

Add to that a better camera, much larger battery, and a customizable body (fingers crossed, though I do like the soft touch an awful lot) it seems like an interesting upgrade option.

For the record I have no interest in the Sony or HTC devices. They're a little too large for my liking, with the spec they have.

The only interest I have in changing is to change the speaker placement.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Nothing Like a pure Android experience from a Nexus device. But If I had to go with another choice I'd probably take the HTC One M8 

I went from Nexus 5 to HTC One M8. The speakers are much better but i dont use them too much anyway.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

Why the heck would I get rid of a Nexus phone.. no crappy third party skins and bloatware etc.

Anyways, if I HAD TO, i'd go for a Sony, I had the original Xperia Z and I absolutely loved it. (but i'd still root it and flash CM11 on there because fuck Xperia UI)

Nothing Like a pure Android experience from a Nexus device. But If I had to go with another choice I'd probably take the HTC One M8 

The only reason I'd change, is to change where the speaker's located.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The only reason I'd change, is to change where the speaker's located.

I agree, Huge selling point for the HTC One.

I have the M8 and even though I don't really use the speakers much for media or other things besides for a really loud alarm, they are definitely the best speakers I have ever used on a phone.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Why the heck would I get rid of a Nexus phone.. no crappy third party skins and bloatware etc.

Anyways, if I HAD TO, i'd go for a Sony, I had the original Xperia Z and I absolutely loved it. (but i'd still root it and flash CM11 on there because fuck Xperia UI)

You are the guy is was looking for. I have a Z2 and I can only agree. The Sony UI is a piece of $hit. When you installed CM11, could you still make 20MP and 4K shots? I want to root it so bad, because the Sony Stuff annoys me.

But the phone itself with the speakers, the camera and just everything is so perfect.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Well the first thing to do is to go to the dialer and enter *#*#7378423#*#* and to to Service info>Configuration>Rooting status and if it says bootloader unlock allowed: yes, you can proceed, if not, too bad :) (you can still root your phone but you can't do a lot with it since your bootloader will be locked)

Then go to this thread to see how to root your device

Now the sucky thing is, there's no official CyanogenMod build for the Z2, there's one unofficial one but it contains bugs like being unable to take pictures..

Paranoid Android is probably the closest you'll get to stock because there's no AOSP build either.

It uses the CM11 kernel but does have some additional features, but some are actually very handy.

Thanks you so much for such a detailed description. What most bugs me is Social Life, Xperia Facebook and Whats new, especially next to Google now. So I was thinking either installing these Apps with root or to benefit from CM11.

So this isn't officail: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Sirius_Info

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

I've never owned a Nexus 5 but I have a HTC One M7 and I love the speakers. 

I went from a Nexus 5 to an M8 and I love it. Where have these speakers been all my life

"Rawr XD"

I seldom even use speakers, I do most of my listening with headphones/in ears.

I don't really get the you can't hold the phone while using speakers thing. I usually put my right hand's ring and pinky under the phone to support it when I use landscape. The speaker actually positions exactly at the gap between my hand and the phone.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

I seldom even use speakers, I do most of my listening with headphones/in ears.

I don't really get the you can't hold the phone while using speakers thing. I usually put my right hand's ring and pinky under the phone to support it when I use landscape. The speaker actually positions exactly at the gap between my hand and the phone.

I support it with both hands when playing games and watching Youtube. Which isn't often, but when I do it's super annoying.

A rear speaker would be cupped perfectly. These are completely blocked off. Each to their own, but this design just doesn't work for me.

*crossesfingersforMotoX+1*

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler