My opinions on SSDs

Cokeman

30GB Windows install? What the hell do you install with it? When I installed Windows 8.1 Pro x64 on my HDD it was 22 GB AFTER Update 1.

I could have sworn I read the windows 8 was 30GB. You are right sorry.

Well of course you shouldn't but you can fit an SSD into most rigs now days since they don't cost as much as they used to. 

But still like I said without a SSD you could go from a 750 ti to a 760, or a 760 to a 770

lol

tumblr_inline_myv8e4R8lH1s848z8.gif

For starters the first thing and most important that goes into the SSD is the OS. Your OS is the manager of your hardware resources and every application it's being bottlenecked intentionally by it, every time OS get updated they get faster and with more features.

When an application executes, it needs resources, services, process in the background, and their dependencies, which are all found in storage, there is a lot of stuff happening in the background, each time you swap your current window, open a tab in a browser and so on. If all these things have the ability to be accessed a lot faster, overall the performance of the system increases, hence SSDs becoming one of the most exciting thing in the PC world.

Now, you talk about budget and games, once a game has its instance loaded in memory, all the loading done and each part in the system knowing what to do, the game is not affected by the storage and the performance then will depend on the horsepower of the core components.

There are very few games, that when installed on a SSD have a noticeable difference, that's why the large majority of builders spend money on a 120-256 GB SSD along with a hard drive, you buy them to put your OS and key applications on the SSD, heavy games, media, and all the rest of mass storage in the hard drive.

Balancing the budget across the build is what makes it good for the money, if you are being hold back in your graphics you may want to wait to get better storage, but comparing FPS with money spend on a SSD a completely ignorant thing to do.

If you believe the system is only used for the moments when you are already in a game and that every gamer uses it that way, you may want to head back to consoles, because a PC is a tool capable of doing a ton of stuff, from work, research, entertainment, even browsing this website. For the large majority of users, investing on a critical part of their tool, their PC, and that being storage is well worth it.

Not trying to be a douche with you Cokeman, but you look rather novice in this area of tech and if you want to get better at it, try reading and informing yourself, there are great sources including experience users. But if you just want to debate on this forums, you might want to shift down a little bit, because you are making yourself the joke of the website.

But still like I said without a SSD you could go from a 750 ti to a 760, or a 760 to a 770

I really think you are missing the point here....

If you are at that budget which I assume to be around $1000 then that isnt feasible for you. But at around $1300 for the love of god get one....

Also it isnt all about gaming.

My brain cells die, and my IQ lowers every time I read a post from this guy.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

My brain cells die, and my IQ lowers every time I read a post from this guy.

When I see @Cokeman

tumblr_lta3b1KmAv1qii6tmo1_500.gif

I really think you are missing the point here....

If you are at that budget which I assume to be around $1000 then that isnt feasible for you. But at around $1300 for the love of god get one....

Also it isnt all about gaming.

I said that. I said if you have a $1000+ budget get one. It just dives my crazy with these people who build a $500-$600 build for gaming and get a cheap athlon and and a r7 260 and a SSD and call it a gaming PC.

When I see @Cokeman

tumblr_lta3b1KmAv1qii6tmo1_500.gif

HAHA!

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

HAHA!

:(

I said that. I said if you have a $1000+ budget get one. It just dives my crazy with these people who build a $500-$600 build for gaming and get a cheap athlon and and a r7 260 and a SSD and call it a gaming PC.

Well than your quarrel isnt with SSDs because they are worth it. Rather, it is with poor planning and mislabeling. 

:(

Well don't post stupid, misinformed, misguided stuff and you won't get it.

like when you tell everyone even those who don't want to OC and NEVER plan to OC to get a 4690k or that i7s are worth it for gaming.

Oh goodie Cokeman has another opinion...

I think Cokeman has a little too much coke up his hooter.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Alright guys that's enough fun picking on the deluded 

/thread

But you could play a game on medium setting at 30 FPS with a SSD or on high a 60 FPS without a SSD

OK I know that but it still applies. Because if you have a budget the SSD is going to take away from the performance of your rig. It doesn't matter if they are on the SSD or not.

No SSD is that expensive where you could only afford a terrible gpu to get 30 fps on medium settings compared to high and 60 fps. Terribly stated example.

SSDs are BETTER, because they have faster ACCESS TIME! It will make your work with OS and your gaming experience a lot better. :)

"I am like ninja, but less gay" - Deadpool

I've never used an SSD and I have never encountered any performance problems, partially because I have some very nice parts that can beat most modern parts on the market today.

2006 technology is still running strong after some intense usage...

this kid is an obvious troll can we stop actually having a conversation that takes thought with him?

Thanks