Virtual Reality Gaming With Nothing But Your Phone

So as I'm sure many of you have heard Google has released an app called "Google Cardboard" too allow users to have virtual reality with nothing but their phone, a cardboard box, and a couple lenses.

All you have to do is download the app and either build your own or purchase a pre-assembled cardboard vr set (~$25) then simply slip your phone in the box and launch the app. When you look into the box each eye will see half the screen and you will see in 3D.

But wait! There's More! An app called "Limelight Gamestream" exists for android that basically catches the signal output of the Nvidia gamestream to use any android device as a shield tablet so basically you can stream ANYTHING from your PC to your android.

Drum roll please.... Now imagine them.... combined! <Insert head explosion here>

Now I haven't found an app that will do this yet but if something exists to cardboard-ify anything on your phones screen then you would be able to stream say I don't know... Fallout New Vegas to your device and take a walk around the Mojave dessert without needing to purchase anything addition except for the cardboard itself.

https://cardboard.withgoogle.com/

http://limelight-stream.com/

What if the phone doesn't have the hardware to play high end games?What if the ppi in low?Beside you need a good resolution.The idea is not that bad but it need changes,

edit:how do you play games if the phone is inside that thing,,,,?

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

What if the phone doesn't have the hardware to play high end games?What if the ppi in low?Beside you need a good resolution.The idea is not that bad but it need changes,

edit:how do you play games if the phone is inside that thing,,,,?

cough, 1080p phones, 441ppi. on the m8.

Diamond 5 in League :)

cough, 1080p phones, 441ppi. on the m8.

I got an m7 and the screen is good but not all phones have this kind of screen

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Dumbest invention ever

I got an m7 and the screen is good but not all phones have this kind of screen

most do, except icraps

Diamond 5 in League :)

The image nees to be rendered for vr at he source, unfortunately you can't stream a game and THEN apply some sort of vr filter to it. I see where you're going with this, but for the moment I'm afraid it's not possible. Maybe if we could stream a signal originally designed for an oculus rift though....

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Actually you can stream occulus games to it... The way limelight works is your tablet does literally nothing. All the work is done by the computer (you can use limelight-pi to stream to a raspberry pi... trust me when I say that a nexus 5 has enough power).

So if you had a game on your computer -> Applied a filter to it (or just run an occulus game on your computer) -> Streamt to android phone -> Phone is inside the cardboard and you use bluetooth mouse/keyboard or a controller to control it.