Just got WoW, need help starting

Scratchy1215

I remember when WOW was very difficult, but rewarding to play, now it just feels like a joke.

If I still played i'd help you out, just watch out for them Warlock's they basically have the game cornered.

i might get it, i like wow but hate this solo crap no one plays low level stuff it seems

It is a bad time to play imo. In between expansions. Lots of people, myself included usually stop playing for awhile.
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

It is a bad time to play imo. In between expansions. Lots of people, myself included usually stop playing for awhile.

true but i need to get a max level or two and gear up a bit

just watch out for them Warlock's they basically have the game cornered.

As a former lock, I'd have to agree.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Just wait for Corecraft Private server, It'll be running Burning Crusade which in most peoples eyes was the best time for WoW and i agree with them. I got to 90 on retail and will not be going to 100, instead i'll be re leveling to 70 on Corecraft.

When I say dead I mean that Blizz took away all the skill and effort you once had to put in to be the best. Now it's just faceroll you're keyboard and gg. Plus lfr. What is that crap.

BS, please stop with the rose tinted glasses crap. The reason the game seems easier is because players have adapted. There's tons of raiding guides, class guides, and theorycrafters in most, if not all top end raiding guilds.

The bosses have more mechanics than they ever did. Also, by top end raiding guilds, I'm referring to guilds that raid on the PTR and develop strats before hand.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

well i dont think im gonna sub. after countless ques and no one says a word and community is super quite and just not very social it seems. so i just bought skyrim, gonna mod its balls off and play runescape lol

well i dont think im gonna sub. after countless ques and no one says a word and community is super quite and just not very social it seems. so i just bought skyrim, gonna mod its balls off and play runescape lol

Quitter.

First of all, you have to choose the right realm. http://www.wowprogress.com/realms/rank/us

You can't even compare skyrim to an MMORPG, especially WoW.

TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT, PLEASE. You'll never get back the magical feeling of stepping into Azeroth and experiencing everything for the first time. What I'd do to go back in time and re-experience the game... Play on a really highly populated server, the more people the better for this game. Experiment with the different classes and races and play what ever you enjoy the most, ignore all of the typical flavor-of-the-month, "which class/race/profession is better" hullabaloo. Also, be prepared for it to consume your life like it has for so many others. Have fun!  :D

(soooo noob friendly it makes me cry).

I've never understood this. Sure, everything's are much more accessible now what with dungeon and raid finder and if you've played since Vanilla then you know WoW's game mechanics have obviously hit their ceiling making fights really predictable but the game can still be really challenging if you know where to look and are in the right place. If you really want the game to be hard get into hardcore end-game progression raiding, max out professions, min/max gear and stats, get rare vanity crap like mounts and transmog, etc. and do it all as soon as the new expansion comes out and race other players. Frankly I've always found the most challenge in WoW to be min/maxing rotations, gear, and stats and working well with guilds.

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

The game has changed over the years to make all the content easily accessible to all players, however none but the most determined and skilled players will be able to truly defeat the most difficult bosses in the game.

What class, faction and server are you playing on?

Now is also a rather bad time to get into wow since there hasn't been any new major content patches for many months, and patch 6.0 will be coming out soon that will completely change the games mechanics and how each class works.

PRO TIP: Mob tagging is the fastest way to level from 85-90, assuming you can find who is good enough to do it for you. However i don't recommend it for your first one or two characters since you will earn a decent amount of money by quest leveling.

Quitter.

First of all, you have to choose the right realm. http://www.wowprogress.com/realms/rank/us

You can't even compare skyrim to an MMORPG, especially WoW.

but i can compare it to swtor or neverwinter or rift or ect and they all have very open very friendly communities though smaller, much smaller. i just think WoW is more aimed at someone willing to read story and spend their entire life on the game. im all for raiding and all but community is important. its damn important and WoWs sucks sorry to say :P

but i can compare it to swtor or neverwinter or rift or ect and they all have very open very friendly communities though smaller, much smaller. i just think WoW is more aimed at someone willing to read story and spend their entire life on the game. im all for raiding and all but community is important. its damn important and WoWs sucks sorry to say :P

All mmo's are major time sinks. You judged a game after what, a week trial? You do realize trial accounts have restrictions when it comes to communicating with other players right?

Comparing rift to wow, LOL.... Yeah, I don't need to say anything more.

edit, here you go

- A level cap of 20.

- A maximum of 10 gold.

- Trade skills are capped at 100 ranks.

- Unable to trade via the Auction House, mailbox, or player-to-player.

- In-game access to public chat channels unavailable. Players are limited to communicating using only say, party, or whisper.

- Characters will be unable to create or join guilds.

- Characters are not able to send whispers to other characters unless they have been added to the characters' friends lists or have received a whisper from a character first.

- Characters will not be able to invite other players into a party.

- Characters will not be able to join parties with other characters above level 20.

- Voice chat disabled on Starter Edition accounts.

- Realms experiencing login queues will prioritize players who have full, paid accounts.

- Starter Edition accounts are not eligible for character transfers

- RealID features are disabled on all Starter Edition Accounts.

Edited by eLucid

What exactly in your opinion sucks about the biggest online mmo community ever created?
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

What exactly in your opinion sucks about the biggest online mmo community ever created?

Don't try to reason with him, he's ignorant.

New MMO? Wait for Star Citizen to launch and get in on the ground floor of the best damn space sim ever. Beta access packages still available too. Maybe you can get lucky and get an alpha pack off reddit. I plan on spending lots of time in that game.

All mmo's are major time sinks. You judged a game after what, a week trial? You do realize trial accounts have restrictions when it comes to communicating with other players right?

Comparing rift to wow, LOL.... Yeah, I don't need to say anything more.

edit, here you go

- A level cap of 20.

- A maximum of 10 gold.

- Trade skills are capped at 100 ranks.

- Unable to trade via the Auction House, mailbox, or player-to-player.

- In-game access to public chat channels unavailable. Players are limited to communicating using only say, party, or whisper.

- Characters will be unable to create or join guilds.

- Characters are not able to send whispers to other characters unless they have been added to the characters' friends lists or have received a whisper from a character first.

- Characters will not be able to invite other players into a party.

- Characters will not be able to join parties with other characters above level 20.

- Voice chat disabled on Starter Edition accounts.

- Realms experiencing login queues will prioritize players who have full, paid accounts.

- Starter Edition accounts are not eligible for character transfers

- RealID features are disabled on all Starter Edition Accounts.

didnt have a free trail, had 7days full access free. i had a collector edition mount i pvped i did everything, i got to level 30 and no one talked hardly at all is why i stopped playing. in rift and swtor people talk

just because theyres a lot of people in a community doesnt mean its a great community

@Scratchy1215 

Reaching level 30 is not an accomplishment at all.  Most people can do that in a day or less.  Now, don't take this as disrespectful because it is not and I am telling you the truth.   Mostly in WoW on lower levels there is pretty much nothing to say because of how leveling has changed and also how the community works now thanks to LFG and tighter experience gaps between levels.  

When Blizzard released LFG everything changed, in servers you could see on /1 or /2 ppl looking for others to run dungeons but now that has disappeared.   A lot of people don't speak because most know the fastest way to level is to dungeon grind, specially if you have heirloom gear but this doesn't apply to you because just got to level 30, even so people that quest grind usually do it by themselves and there are no public quests like Rift does.  You end up leveling so quickly that you will end up moving from areas fairly fast.

If lack of conversation is something you don't like, most of the heavy convo is done in towns.  I guess it can depend on the server too, if you like a high pop server you could research one that might fit your needs there.  For example, if you are into PvE and like Alliance, Stormrage is great and over populated.  You can raid SoO (latest raid) and have your chat full of /1 cuz ppl wont stop talking.  

There are pros and cons to WoW and you have a right to uninstall it if you want.  The only thing I can tell you is, you have not done 'everything' in wow.  I understand sometimes is too much to ask for players to cap their character to experience most of it but that is what you need to do in WoW.  Low level has not much to offer anymore unless you find a twink guild if you are into that sort of thing or find a leveling guild and make some friends.

I know it means nothing to you probably, but I have 73% completion in achievements and I was a 'semi-hardcore' raider, been playing for 5+ years and I still have not done 'everything'.  At least now if anyone needs proof of a statement like that we have battletags and armories.

I don't want you to feel like this was an attack.  I just wanted to share a little of my experience since I have played the 3 games you mentioned (WoW, Rift, SWTOR) and a couple more MMOs and I made myself get to endgame.  But that is the kind of experience I look for, the endgame raiding/pvp and I know some people want other experiences and mmo can provide and I am not you and I don't know you either so,  I can't and won't tell you how to play or experience a game but I can tell you that you are still missing a couple of things you can do and see in WoW.

For the people mentioning poor questing in the game blame the mmorpg communities as for years they said they don't care about questing and just want to level as quick as possible and get to raiding.  It is sad but it is true.  I asked time and time again on the WOW message boards and at other places for people to ask for questing that actually required a full party or close to it most of the time.  I wanted Blizzard to get the players to play out in the open world more but nope they didn't do anything but move away from this more and more.  I look forward to a future generation that will like questing and like a challenge too with content.  I wanted a no nerf server or two from Blizzard and NOPE!  I thought they should make players run older content at proper level with proper gear and I thought it would make going back and doing old content you didn't complete more fun but NOPE I guess players don't want that.  The player bases for mmorpgs right now can kiss my ***.  I hate you.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

@Scratchy1215 

Reaching level 30 is not an accomplishment at all.  Most people can do that in a day or less.  Now, don't take this as disrespectful because it is not and I am telling you the truth.   Mostly in WoW on lower levels there is pretty much nothing to say because of how leveling has changed and also how the community works now thanks to LFG and tighter experience gaps between levels.  

coming from tons of mmos, i can get what WoW offers for free plus a better community and free expansions in almost every single f2p mmo ever made lol. yea wow has flying and a more hardcore crafting and few other things but most games have a easy crafting that if u actually try hard at, u make or do a lot better with. i just feel for 15$ a month for a 10year old game that graphics need overhauled x3 to even compare to games like wildstar/swtor/rift. its just not worth it. and from video or watching streamers for a few hours, raiding reminds me of runes of magic which i raided on for 3months or so till i realised how p2w it is. the pvp is just like 90% of other mmos and it just looks like a huge grind fest of meaningless that i have to pay for. sorry yea some people love WoW and are true hardcore players and i respect that. i still play runescape faithfully even though everyone says it sucks. when i think its a great game that will last a long time and is improving everyday. its the same thing just i think wow needs a lot of things before ill even think about paying money/month for. (runescape is p2p but bonds make it f2p for me)

coming from tons of mmos, i can get what WoW offers for free plus a better community and free expansions in almost every single f2p mmo ever made lol. yea wow has flying and a more hardcore crafting and few other things but most games have a easy crafting that if u actually try hard at, u make or do a lot better with. i just feel for 15$ a month for a 10year old game that graphics need overhauled x3 to even compare to games like wildstar/swtor/rift. its just not worth it. and from video or watching streamers for a few hours, raiding reminds me of runes of magic which i raided on for 3months or so till i realised how p2w it is. the pvp is just like 90% of other mmos and it just looks like a huge grind fest of meaningless that i have to pay for. sorry yea some people love WoW and are true hardcore players and i respect that. i still play runescape faithfully even though everyone says it sucks. when i think its a great game that will last a long time and is improving everyday. its the same thing just i think wow needs a lot of things before ill even think about paying money/month for. (runescape is p2p but bonds make it f2p for me)

The important thing is for you to find something you like.   And that is not a bad thing but I think mmos (or at least new ones) have to come up with something to innovate, even WoW is loosing subs but it still has millions over the next mmo on subs.  It is a genre that is loosing its appeal, definitely.  No matter what MMO you play, it is time consuming and it is very little rewarding for a casual player.  They all have the grind, etc etc with a little difference between each but a lot of similarities.  

Going back to the main point.  Everyone needs to find what they find/feel is worth their money.  I have my reasons for giving blizz $15 and why I have stopped giving it to others but that is because it appeals to me.  I wish you would of given WoW some more time and experience a couple of things, I thing you rushed on your decision BUT I don't know you and I know some ppl know what they like and dont and the whys in the first 5 mins, and that is totally ok.

The important thing is for you to find something you like.   And that is not a bad thing but I think mmos (or at least new ones) have to come up with something to innovate, even WoW is loosing subs but it still has millions over the next mmo on subs.  It is a genre that is loosing its appeal, definitely.  No matter what MMO you play, it is time consuming and it is very little rewarding for a casual player.  They all have the grind, etc etc with a little difference between each but a lot of similarities.  

Going back to the main point.  Everyone needs to find what they find/feel is worth their money.  I have my reasons for giving blizz $15 and why I have stopped giving it to others but that is because it appeals to me.  I wish you would of given WoW some more time and experience a couple of things, I thing you rushed on your decision BUT I don't know you and I know some ppl know what they like and dont and the whys in the first 5 mins, and that is totally ok.

i give most mmorpgs a week-2 weeks and if im not hooked or if im not wanting to be as badass as the max players i see or watch, i stop playing and i didnt get that from WoW

I have tried other mmo and I miss things like LFR/LFG and website like wowhead.Content has always been intended for max level characters and if you don`t want to spend the time(now the Money) you won`t see the potential of the game.

P.s. I have played wow since December 2004 and cumulatively across all my level ninety characters I have /played 800 plus days