What do you think about Steamboxes?

Speedbird

So Lord Gaben has created a console... With Steam... More than one, actually.... Not made by Valve.... Upgradeable.... You can build one yourself...

So what do you think about these Steamboxes and SteamOS? Will you build one? Will you buy one? Or neither? Does this encourage game devs to develop for Linux? What do you think?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I will use SteamOS if it has more support for games. There isn't a point to building a Steam machine if you already have a PC.

EDIT: Dual-boot actually since I use Adobe products and Sony Vegas as well.

It's a good idea to convert peasants but for actual PC enthusiasts we will just build our own.

Yeah... No.

At least, not until Linux gets more games. It's worse than OS X.

I think that anything that favours linux gaming is great. We really need to stop being dependant from windows, otherwise ms might decide to screw us over anytime.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If the streaming capabilities are good I'm on board. Other than that I don't see myself getting one.

Steam in-home streaming. Get a good router, wire both PCs to it and enjoy.

Steam in-home streaming. Get a good router, wire both PCs to it and enjoy.

Yeah at this point if that was what I needed I would buy an Nvidia shield. (obviously that only works for nvidia users though)

SteamOS is just going to be another OS that PC users will have to instal and the actual Steamboxes are just compact and high performance PCs. Not much new here.

Don't forget you have to buy and install Windows to play half of the games you probably want, because at the moment the OS is a modified Linux which on OpenGL can't run games that don't support it.  At the moment they don't look that great simply because of that.

Don't forget you have to buy and install Windows to play half of the games you probably want, because at the moment the OS is a modified Linux which on OpenGL can't run games that don't support it.  At the moment they don't look that great simply because of that.

Source is DirectX only but it runs fine on Linux.

Great idea, but the execution has been horrible. Valve needed to partner with a company to make a mass production version to keep costs down without having to sacrifice the hardware it uses. Letting other companies make their own is fine too, and they could have done both. But with no official version from Valve, beyond Gabe Newell talking up the Dell version, means that people will either have to spend $700 or more, too much for a "console" or be stuck with really weak hardware that can't actually support 1080p.

The Linux thing is not an issue since the first versions will be launching with Windows, not STEAM OS, and they will all be capable of running Windows even after STEAM OS is released. Hell the Dell version, which will be first on the market, won't even have the STEAM controller.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

It's a small form fact PC...... that's it.

SteamOS doesn't exist, it's Debian with Valve wallpaper.

And the Controller is a stupid idea that only got made because it "Looks cool"   I got attacked for saying it but lookie lookie Valve is going back to the drawing board with it

and adding thumb controls to it....

SteamOS is just going to be another OS that PC users will have to instal and the actual Steamboxes are just compact and high performance PCs. Not much new here.

It's not another OS, it's nothing more then Debian with Valve wallpaper.