Sli 780ti problems

mattias1172

Rather than spending hours trying to troubleshoot and fix the problem, I figured i would post here firs and see if anyone has run into this issue before and has a quick fix. I recently upgraded my rig from cfire 280x to sli 780ti. When running 3dmark 11, the xfire 280xs got about 6550 on the extreme test. When I benchmarked a single 780ti, I got about 5500-6000 which is what I was expecting. When I pt the second card in, enabled sli in nvidia control panel, I got roughly the same results (sometimes a little, less sometimes a little more) as the single 780ti. Now I realize it doesn't scale 2x, 3x, etc as you put gpus in, but I should at least be scoring higher than the 280x xfire, not below it. I've also noticed less than expected results in bf4 with the cards. When it auto selects graphic settings, it chooses medium and when I try to bring the graphics up to ultra, gameplay gets very laggy. I have not checked what the actual fps is but it feels like less than 25. With two 780tis, I should easily be able to play on ultra with above 60fps. I game at 1080p with only 60hz refresh (waiting for some better gsync monitors to come of before upgrading) and in my rig I got an i7 4930k, Asus rampage iv black edition motherboard, windows 8.1 64bit, the latest nvidia drivers, uninstalled the amd drivers, and as far as I can tell, have the gpus in the correct pcie slots (1 and 3). The 780tis I'm using are evga dual classified acx cards. I can't figure out what else I might be doing wrong.

Is 3DMark 11 in fullscreen mode? SLI only enables itself on fullscreen applications.

First off it sounds like your driver install didn't go right so try that first. When you enabled SLI did you actually click accept on the changes and attach the SLI bridge fully?

Use Display Driver Uninstaller, boot into safe mode like it says and run it twice. Once for the AMD driver to be sure it's gone and then again for the Nvidia driver. Then download a fresh copy of the most recent non-beta driver from Nvidia and install it.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Without a driver, will the gpu still be able to display and image? I don't have the option for onboard graphics.

Without a driver, will the gpu still be able to display and image? I don't have the option for onboard graphics.

Yes it'll still be able to run without drivers

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

First off it sounds like your driver install didn't go right so try that first. When you enabled SLI did you actually click accept on the changes and attach the SLI bridge fully?

Use Display Driver Uninstaller, boot into safe mode like it says and run it twice. Once for the AMD driver to be sure it's gone and then again for the Nvidia driver. Then download a fresh copy of the most recent non-beta driver from Nvidia and install it.

I did everything step by step, going into safe mode and using DDU both on amd and nvidia. I removed all files and drivers from both, restarted the computer, went to nvidias site and downloaded the most recent non beta driver, clicked on the icon to do a fresh install of the driver (setting all settings back to default and deleting any other drivers, I did not download nvidia geforce experience, enabled sli in the nvidia control panel (clicked the 'max 3d' checkmark or whatever it says), applied settings and it did the whole black screen switching over thing, and restarted the computer after. I just ran 3dmark 11 again and scored only 5346 for the extreme benchmark. 3dmark 11 does say that was scored with 2x 780ti and that they are valid results. I am at a loss as to what the problem may be.

I did everything step by step, going into safe mode and using DDU both on amd and nvidia. I removed all files and drivers from both, restarted the computer, went to nvidias site and downloaded the most recent non beta driver, clicked on the icon to do a fresh install of the driver (setting all settings back to default and deleting any other drivers, I did not download nvidia geforce experience, enabled sli in the nvidia control panel (clicked the 'max 3d' checkmark or whatever it says), applied settings and it did the whole black screen switching over thing, and restarted the computer after. I just ran 3dmark 11 again and scored only 5346 for the extreme benchmark. 3dmark 11 does say that was scored with 2x 780ti and that they are valid results. I am at a loss as to what the problem may be.

hmm, well I hate to ask something like this but does your motherboard support SLI?

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

hmm, well I hate to ask something like this but does your motherboard support SLI?

according to his PC spec in his profile

he using the Rampage 4 Black

@mattias1172

check your BIOS for the PCI-E bandwidth settings

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

according to his PC spec in his profile

he using the Rampage 4 Black

@mattias1172

check your BIOS for the PCI-E bandwidth settings

According to the manual, the slots I have the two gpus in should run both of them at x16. Could my psu be bottle necking them? If got a 1000w power supply. I just ran the fire strike extreme benchmark and scored a 4496 when the average for 780ti sli is closer to 10,000. I'm getting about half the performance I should be and scoring less than the average "high end gaming pc" results when my pc is above the specs for one.

According to the manual, the slots I have the two gpus in should run both of them at x16. Could my psu be bottle necking them? If got a 1000w power supply. I just ran the fire strike extreme benchmark and scored a 4496 when the average for 780ti sli is closer to 10,000. I'm getting about half the performance I should be and scoring less than the average "high end gaming pc" results when my pc is above the specs for one.

i will suggest reseating the GPUs and check the SLi bridge

PSU should not be affecting the way your 780Ti runs

if possible

throw your GPUs on another system just to be sure it not your PC

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

i will suggest reseating the GPUs and check the SLi bridge

PSU should not be affecting the way your 780Ti runs

if possible

throw your GPUs on another system just to be sure it not your PC

I'll try reseating them now. I'm using one of the sli bridges that came with the RIVBE and from what I can tell, it appears to be of good quality. The computer is seeing that they are sli'd, I'm just not getting the performance of sli. It actually seems to be performing less than a single 780ti. I don't have another system I can try, however, prior to what I have now, I had xfire 280x in the same slots and it worked just fine. I have compleatly removed all traces of amd drivers and folders using DDU multiple times.

I'll try reseating them now. I'm using one of the sli bridges that came with the RIVBE and from what I can tell, it appears to be of good quality. The computer is seeing that they are sli'd, I'm just not getting the performance of sli. It actually seems to be performing less than a single 780ti. I don't have another system I can try, however, prior to what I have now, I had xfire 280x in the same slots and it worked just fine. I have compleatly removed all traces of amd drivers and folders using DDU multiple times.

just a question

what are the spec of your 780Ti?

GPU-Z ID picture may give a clear picture

try also with Unigine

with Afterburner monitor the loads

disable ULPS for the GPUs with the afterburner software

just a question

what are the spec of your 780Ti?

GPU-Z ID picture may give a clear picture

try also with Unigine

with Afterburner monitor the loads

disable ULPS for the GPUs with the afterburner software

Using fire strike extreme again, I monitored the loads and temps using afterburner. My second card in slot 3, maxed out (sometimes dipped down to ~70) with average temps around 40. The first card fluctuated between 50-90% with average temps around 50. My CPU never exceeded ~30% and stayed around 45 degrees. I did reseat the cards prior to this test and tried moving the card that was in slot one to slot three and vise versa. According to gpuz, sli is enable with the clock at 1020MHz. My gpus are EVGA 780ti dual classified acx.

So I just ran the unigine heaven benchmark. I did the default option for extreme and ran it. My fps hovers between 35-70. According to the stats on the upper rift hand corner, the first card is only running at 810MHz memory clock while the second is at 3,500MHz memory clock.

ok try disable ULPS in Afterburner

something is odd with your first GPU

ok try disable ULPS in Afterburner

something is odd with your first GPU

I tried disabling it using afterburner, it won't let me do it with an nvidia gpu (the option to do so is under "AMD compatibility properties" and it's all greyed out). So I tried doing it via the regestry and I can't get any of the permissions correct. Any other ideas?

I tried disabling it using afterburner, it won't let me do it with an nvidia gpu (the option to do so is under "AMD compatibility properties" and it's all greyed out). So I tried doing it via the regestry and I can't get any of the permissions correct. Any other ideas?

try again your setup with just the first GPU running

and watch the GPU load

also in GPU-Z ID

where you see the bus interface 

click on the '?' sign and it will have a pop up

do that test and see if the PCI-E speed is correct

i do hope you do not need to RMA your new GPUs :(

try again your setup with just the first GPU running

and watch the GPU load

also in GPU-Z ID

where you see the bus interface

click on the '?' sign and it will have a pop up

do that test and see if the PCI-E speed is correct.

i do hope you do not need to RMA your new GPUs :(

Ok, I just went through and tried each card separately (the motherboard has a switch to deactivate pcie slots without having to remove them). By themselves, each card runs at a memory clock of 3500MHz around 70 degrees. In gpu-z I clicked the question mark and both cards (by themselves) run at x16. In sli both are x16. If it means anything, one says nvidia...780 ti: PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ 3.0 and the other says ...780 ti: PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ 1.1 look at the endings of both.

Ok, I just went through and tried each card separately (the motherboard has a switch to deactivate pcie slots without having to remove them). By themselves, each card runs at a memory clock of 3500MHz around 70 degrees. In gpu-z I clicked the question mark and both cards (by themselves) run at x16

very odd

but when you run in SLi mode 

the first GPU will just downclock

very odd

very odd

In sli both are x16. If it means anything, one says nvidia...780 ti: PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ 3.0 and the other says ...780 ti: PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ 1.1 look at the endings of both.

In sli both are x16. If it means anything, one says nvidia...780 ti: PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ 3.0 and the other says ...780 ti: PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ 1.1 look at the endings of both.

it may mean that the second one is running at  PCI-E 1.1 mode

the board has 4 x16 slots

i will suggest trying all slot until it say both at 3.0

Picture of gpu-z.attachicon.gifphoto (1).JPG

Can I ask you something without being mean??

I am confused a bit right now because I use a GTX 780 Ti 2way SLI myself... 3DMark 11 doesn´t always work correctly with Win8.1. I use 3DMark and Unigine Valley. This is more accurate.

BUT my point here is... did you manipulate the picture or did you flash the BIOS of that card???

According to the screenshot you are using a GPU that should not exist...  an A100 in revision A1 ?!? It should be a GK110 in revision B1... that is weird.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Can I ask you something without being mean??

I am confused a bit right now because I use a GTX 780 Ti 2way SLI myself... 3DMark 11 doesn´t always work correctly with Win8.1. I use 3DMark and Unigine Valley. This is more accurate.

BUT my point here is... did you manipulate the picture or did you flash the BIOS of that card???

According to the screenshot you are using a GPU that should not exist...  an A100 in revision A1 ?!? It should be a GK110 in revision B1... that is weird.

No I haven't done anything to the picture besides crop it slightly to make it under 2mb. It could be because I have an outdated version of gpu-z.

it may mean that the second one is running at  PCI-E 1.1 mode

the board has 4 x16 slots

i will suggest trying all slot until it say both at 3.0

I tried using the second slot. It still says 1.1 and it's @ x8 so even at 3.0, it wouldn't help. Any ideas how to switch it from 1.1 to 3.0? Or how to disable ulps without afterburner or registry?