Upgrading CPU to a i7, any recommendations

At the moment i have a Intel® Core i5 - 2500k CPU @ 3.30GHz, my graphics card is a AMD Radeon HD 7800 series and my mother board is a Asus P8Z68-V.

i7 4770K or 4790K

INTEL I7 4790K @4.6Ghz |  ASUS Z97-A  |  CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz 16gb | NVIDIA GTX 780 | NZXT H440 White | CORSAIR RM750 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | WD Caviar Black 1TB | LIQUID COOLED |

What's wrong with your current CPU? that is still a really good i5... If it's still at stock settings, Invest in a better CPU cooler and OC that puppy. There is no point in getting an i7 if you only game. Do you have a real need for an i7 that will make your purchase worth it?

What's wrong with your current CPU? that is still a really good i5... If it's still at stock settings, Invest in a better CPU cooler and OC that puppy. There is no point in getting an i7 if you only game. Do you have a real need for an i7 that will make your purchase worth it?

There this game that i really like called Arma 3/dayz, you might of heard of them. I cant even seem to run them in 30 fps. My friend was telling me that it was not because of my graphics card. I do have a cpu cooler still does not seem to make any difference.. 

There this game that i really like called Arma 3/dayz, you might of heard of them. I cant even seem to run them in 30 fps. My friend was telling me that it was not because of my graphics card. I do have a cpu cooler still does not seem to make any difference.. 

Oh yeah, that poorly optimized game. Yeah... I've heard of it. Get the i7 if that is the only game you play. A lot of the other games will not benefit from getting the i7 but it's your money, Do as you please.

If you have the extra bit of money, the 4790K would be ideal, as you'll be able to use a z-97 board with no issues.

INTEL I7 4790K @4.6Ghz |  ASUS Z97-A  |  CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz 16gb | NVIDIA GTX 780 | NZXT H440 White | CORSAIR RM750 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | WD Caviar Black 1TB | LIQUID COOLED |

Any reason?

i replied to a comment saying why.

It would be a wiser choice to OC that 2500k you could get it up to 5GHz

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

It would be a wiser choice to OC that 2500k you could get it up to 5GHz

thanks for the help

Any reason?

EDIT: I seriously doubt ARMA 3 will benefit from an i7 upgrade. 7800 series gpu probably holding you back.

thanks for the help

Yes, you're always CPU bottlenecked in Arma 3/Dayz and the game doesnt take any advantage of Hyperthreading nor extra cores. All you need is just a quadcore and high single core performance which includes overclocking. Get your cpu at 4.7GHz orsomething and you'd see a world of difference. Most haswell chips do 4.2GHz and thats equal to sandy bridge at 4.8GHz.. Don't upgrade it, just overclock your CPU. 

It really annoys me to read "CPU Bottlenecked" and "DayZ" in the same sentence.

It's not just CPU bottlenecked. It's bottlenecked by it's own code. I manage to stream DayZ w/ OBS and still only use about 60% of my CPU.  

It's just not ready for primetime yet. 

OP: You aren't going to see much of a difference if you swap out ANYTHING on your system (CPU or GPU) in DayZ. 

Period. End of story. 

I have to turn down settings in DayZ just to get my 2600k @ 4.5ghz and r9 290 to run the game at a playable FPS. 

If you're dying to upgrade, buy a new video card...otherwise you're just wasting your money.

4790 if you won't overclock, 4790K if you will.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

No, No, No, No!

The i5 2500k GPU is still a very good CPU. I suggest you upgrade your graphics card to a high tier one. Also are you playing on a 60Hz monitor? If you are, you won't need the CPU upgrade just to squeeze out 10+ frames. 

Save your money for the 800 series. 

Heck even an i7 920 is still kickin pretty hard. Intel CPUs are very good and last pretty long.

CPU_01.png

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

No, No, No, No!

The i5 2500k GPU is still a very good CPU. I suggest you upgrade your graphics card to a high tier one. Also are you playing on a 60Hz monitor? If you are, you won't need the CPU upgrade just to squeeze out 10+ frames. 

Heck even an i7 920 is still kickin pretty hard. Intel CPUs are very good and last pretty long.

CPU_01.png

Almost makes me proud that I'm still rockin' a I7-930.

At the moment i have a Intel® Core i5 - 2500k CPU @ 3.30GHz, my graphics card is a AMD Radeon HD 7800 series and my mother board is a Asus P8Z68-V.

Your GPU is what is holding you back, get a new GPU

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Coming from someone who's been playing ARMA for years, it won't do jack shit for you.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

No, No, No, No!

CPU_01.png

It's not just CPU bottlenecked. It's bottlenecked by it's own code. I manage to stream DayZ w/ OBS and still only use about 60% of my CPU.  

OP: You aren't going to see much of a difference if you swap out ANYTHING on your system (CPU or GPU) in DayZ. 

Period. End of story. 

I have to turn down settings in DayZ just to get my 2600k @ 4.5ghz and r9 290 to run the game at a playable FPS. 

If you're dying to upgrade, buy a new video card...otherwise you're just wasting your money.

Have you got a any tips or videos on overclocking? Want to be sure i do it right.

Your GPU is what is holding you back, get a new GPU

ty

Period. End of story. 

Any videos or something on how to overclock, im very new to this kinda stuff.