580 vs 680 for folding

Im thinking about upgrading my computer this summer, and i was curious which card would get better PPD in folding. Id like to either jump on the 680 now while everyone is rushing towards the new 780, or i can get the 580 from a friend for ~$350

I read that Kepler gets LESS PPD then Fermi because Kepler is more built for performance/watt, where Fermi is pure power. For example, the GTX 680 has x2+ the amount of shaders as a 580, but they are clocked lower to save power. This would require a larger WU, and would take longer to get it done. 

Another thing that caught my attention is the comparison at hwcompare ( <--- click) where the main difference between the two was Texal rate. Besides that they look pretty similar.

Any thoughts on which would be the better card?

~Judah

From what I've heard even the 680 isn't optimized for folding. I'm not sure of any alternatives at the moment, I'll look in to it.

Fermi is better for things like folding and compute stuff, so grab as many 580's as you can

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Yes, right now, and I stress the NOW part, 500 series cards are better the 600 for Folding, if this is a 7/24 system. If also used for gaming, etc, then sacrifice the slight loss of PPD for the boost in gaming and get a 680. I would expect though an upgrade to FAH in the near future as all NVidia cards are going to be Kepler based or the new GK series in the 700's. With such an update, expect performance on 600 series to pick up. But, when that will be, who knows...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Yes, right now, and I stress the NOW part, 500 series cards are better the 600 for Folding, if this is a 7/24 system. If also used for gaming, etc, then sacrifice the slight loss of PPD for the boost in gaming and get a 680. I would expect though an upgrade to FAH in the near future as all NVidia cards are going to be Kepler based or the new GK series in the 700's. With such an update, expect performance on 600 series to pick up. But, when that will be, who knows...

I didn't want to start a new topic but any idea's on what a GTX 650 Ti Boost or a GTX 660 can do since it's going to be the best GPU I can get for a while?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I didn't want to start a new topic but any idea's on what a GTX 650 Ti Boost or a GTX 660 can do since it's going to be the best GPU I can get for a while?

Since Kepplar is less efficient in folding then Fermi, i would guess only a little more then a GTX 550Ti. So maybe about 16k?

~Judah

I dunno man,, my 680 logs 35K+ my Fermi 460's are at around 14K each on average. It could be the WU's but on average,, my 680 logs a But Ton more PPD.

See, I get the exact opposite, although a bit different cards. My 460 does a bit less then my 560 - both of which typically net me more then my 660. Course, a 680 does have a lot more raw power, which may also be a contributing factor...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Not sure how Kepler is that much weaker, my 680 gets 75k-80k ppd...not including cpu...

Not that it is weaker - it's just what FAH is optimized for right now...

With core_17 a GTX 680 destroys a GTX 580 and I wouldn't pay $350 for one because that price is ludicrous.

You should consider a GTX 770 over a GTX 680 unless you can get a GTX 680 for cheap.

Will be interesting to see if there is any kind up upcoming price drop for the 680. I also looked forward to a flood on them on various second hand sites as people look to upgrade. :)

Im keeping my eyes on the different cards. The 680's are dropping in price, but at the same time iv seen 580's in the $200-270 range. Maybe ill SLI two 580's? Right now it all depends on the price for me.

Im saving up for a dedicated folding rig so i may not buy one soon, but if i can find a great deal ill jump on it.

~Judah

If you get a 580, get it used on Amazon/Ebay for ~$200. If you pay the full 400, it is ridiculous. 

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

Also remember, you don't need to SLI if just folding...