FAO First time builders (+boasting a little)

rentaspoon

I wanted to show this off

e56e03cadf5ed4308f41226730c85daa.jpg

Here's my son Miles, he's 4yrs old and just built his first computer with my guidance :) he done everything apart from apply the thermal grease.

Computers aren't as hard as they use to be 20 years ago, with guidance from this forum and the vids on YouTube I'm pretty sure you can do it.

Just hope this helps someone with their first build jitters :D

Well done! Can you give him a high five from me

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I wanted to show this off

e56e03cadf5ed4308f41226730c85daa.jpg

Here's my son, he's 4yrs old and just built his first computer with my guidance :) he done everything apart from apply the thermal grease.

Computers aren't as hard as they use to be 20 years ago, with guidance from this forum and the vids on YouTube I'm pretty sure you can do it.

Just hope this helps someone with their first build jitters :D

People need to understand that building a pc is mostly placing screws and just simply CLICK work (I'm looking at RAM :D).

Building a PC is soooooooooo easy. There is only 1 thing you can really fuck up and that's not applying the CPU cooler properly.

Edit: Still a high-five for your son though <3

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

awesome! I can't understand some of the people out there who buy pre-built comouters because they don't know how to build it themselves.

I guess people just don't realize that it's so easy a 4 year old can do it.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

People need to understand that building a pc is mostly placing screws and just simply CLICK work (I'm looking at RAM :D).

Building a PC is soooooooooo easy. There is only 1 thing you can really fuck up and that's not applying the CPU cooler properly.

Yeah lot easier then it use to be, he's glad, I've decided to give it to him

awesome! I can't understand some of the people out there who buy pre-built comouters because they don't know how to build it themselves.

I guess people just don't realize that it's so easy a 4 year old can do it.

It looks scary

I wish my father had bought ME a badass pc when I was 4 :( had to wait until I was 15 and had spared enough allowance money...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well done! Can you give him a high five from me

Will do

I wish my father had bought ME a badass pc when I was 4 :( had to wait until I was 15 and had spared enough allowance money...

I had a 486 that cost me £40

He's a bit ahead of his age so I thought he could handle it, he loves Kerbal space program and keeps begging me to get it to go faster as Star Citizen runs at 20fps (he pick up that they're was something wrong all by himself)

That's so damn awesome! You're one cool dad!

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Yeah at 4 years old, that's still pretty cool. I have to agree that perfect placement of the CPU cooler is probably the most challenging. There are other considerations though. Not too far back in history, if you didn't make sure the voltage and timings for RAM were set properly then it could potentially burn the memory controller out. Now days mobos usually set the voltage and timings pretty accurately. Liquid cooling setups can be tricky sometimes. SSD optimization and RAID are fairly straight forward. Lucid Virtu MVP is not always a piece of cake for 1st time builders. Auto overclocking is easy but manual overclocking requires a little know how also. I am still highly impressed with this 4 year old. He now has bragging rights!

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

He's a bit ahead of his age so I thought he could handle it, he loves Kerbal space program and keeps begging me to get it to go faster as Star Citizen runs at 20fps (he pick up that they're was something wrong all by himself)

And console gamers still insist that the human eye can't see over 24fps ^^ when even a 4 yo can tell the difference lol. Gratz to your kid, be careful when he goes to primary school though, I know for personal experience how boring and frustrating it can be to have to follow a class that is way under your level, especially at that age. I remember they'd let me bring comic books every once in a while just because they knew I didn't need the lesson ^^.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

That's so damn awesome! You're one cool dad!

Thanks man

And console gamers still insist that the human eye can't see over 24fps ^^ when even a 4 yo can tell the difference lol. Gratz to your kid, be careful when he goes to primary school though, I know for personal experience how boring and frustrating it can be to have to follow a class that is way under your level, especially at that age. I remember they'd let me bring comic books every once in a while just because they knew I didn't need the lesson ^^.

Yeah I got the lowest possible score in high school cos I got bored and spent more time hacking into the school network so this sort of thing is to keep him busy in the school holiday