i7 860 to i7 4790k upgrade

Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,

defenetly a worthy upgrade you have a beast GPU that deserves a much better CPU, go for it...but i would spend less money for the motherboard personaly but this is just suggestion...

Currently pushing the i7 860 to 3.6 ghz on water cooling.
And using the 780 Ti gc.

I was thinking on getting the i7 4790k + ASUS Maximus Vii Hero this weekend, 
but I would like to hear some recommendations/comments from other people.

Does it worth the upgrade or I'll be just fine with my current system?

*Mostly I use the rig as my gaming platform as well as doing some CAD work and analysis 
(CATIA, NX, NASTRAN, ANSYS, LMS Virtual Lab...)

^_^ 

Well. it is worth to upgrade from that. Because whta I know that the i7 860 is as good as a haswell i3 or even worse:/ so you are bottlenecking it.

I wont come with "Wait for broadwell CPUS" because intel delayed them to 2015 and not worth the wait.

I personally recommend a I7 4790k and a Maximus vii formula for the extra features and dual sata express. But that is just me.

There is some cheaper boards then ROG series, but ROG series are awsome and look awsome. So I recommend it. But note that you pay premium price for looks.

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Keep what you have. I don't think the upgrade is worth it, even though it would be noticeable. If you really wnt to upgrade, I suggest you wait for x99 or its successor, as we'll be getting hexa cores for less than 400 bucks (5820k). But even then, you're probably better off waiting for consimer cpus to offer a REAL improvement, not just slight incremental 10%ish improvements like we're seeing now.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well worth it dude, you jumped up 3 tiers from the 1st gen to the latest 4th gen. Go for it :D

Spoiler

Yes, it'll be worth it, and with water cooling, you should be able to overclock the 4790K much further.

The Maximus VII Hero is a great motherboard with nice features and very stable overclocking.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Well. it is worth to upgrade from that. Because whta I know that the i7 860 is as good as a haswell i3 or even worse:/ so you are bottlenecking it.

I wont come with "Wait for broadwell CPUS" because intel delayed them to 2015 and not worth the wait.

I personally recommend a I7 4790k and a Maximus vii formula for the extra features and dual sata express. But that is just me.

There is some cheaper boards then ROG series, but ROG series are awsome and look awsome. So I recommend it. But note that you pay premium price for looks.

Thank you for the recommendation.

But I need to budget my expenditure because I was thinking on getting a new pump and waterblock as well (Swiftech MCP 655 + Swiftech Apogee XL)

because my current pump annoys me with its weird noise. I couldn't stand it any longer. haha :D 

I suggest you hold up till Broadwell. It's not that far off, you can save up more money, and it'll give you an even larger performance upgrade.

Even if you don't, when Broadwell comes out the price of Haswell will drop, allowing you to save money or get an even better chip.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

Keep what you have. I don't think the upgrade is worth it, even though it would be noticeable. If you really wnt to upgrade, I suggest you wait for x99 or its successor, as we'll be getting hexa cores for less than 400 bucks (5820k). But even then, you're probably better off waiting for consimer cpus to offer a REAL improvement, not just slight incremental 10%ish improvements like we're seeing now.

I'm sorry. Is it 10% improvement over the 4770k or the 860?  :blink:

http://cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=6&cmp[]=1919&cmp[]=2275

cpubenchmark.net is a great way to compare CPUs

The 4790 scores about 11000

4770 scores 10000

860 scores 5000

More than double improvement with the 4790, but still a great, powerful processor.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

http://cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=6&cmp[]=1919&cmp[]=2275

cpubenchmark.net is a great way to compare CPUs

The 4790 scores about 11000

4770 scores 10000

860 scores 5000

More than double improvement with the 4790, but still a great, powerful processor.

not really...

I would use real world applications and gaming performance charts. CPUBench isn't that good...

Edit: But the 4790K is still work the upgrade. Go for it!

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

Despite what everyone here has said, you will not notice a big real world difference.

I went from 1st gen i7 920 @ 3.8ghz to i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz and haven't noticed any real big gains and I doubt you would either.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

Despite what everyone here has said, you will not notice a big real world difference.

I went from 1st gen i7 920 @ 3.8ghz to i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz and haven't noticed any real big gains and I doubt you would either.

This is very true! Unless you're doing Video editing or some other stuff that most normal people won't use, you'll be fine for a long while.

I'm sorry. Is it 10% improvement over the 4770k or the 860?  :blink:

no xD it's been a 10% improvement more or less in the last two generations as in ivy bridge = sandy +10%, haswell = ivy +10%. There is a bigger improvement over the 860, but it's not twice as fast or anything and I would wait that point to consider upgrading.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You are bottlenecking your gpu, but even then, you should be able to run your game on high setting without having your cpu hindering it for I have a i7 870. If your game run fine, why not wait for the next biggest upgrade like go from quad core to 6 or 8 core. It is not like your pc can't handle anything in 1-2 more year

defenetly a worthy upgrade you have a beast GPU that deserves a much better CPU, go for it...but i would spend less money for the motherboard personaly but this is just suggestion...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I agree that it would be worth it. You would be running way faster and cooler. Overclocking is not what it used to be, for that Sandy and Ivy were the best. But you are talking about 2 LGA sockets in the past (as far as mainstream) so there will be other advantages too. I say wait for Broadwell or Skylake. Broadwell is not too far off and Skylake is supposed to come soon afterwards. So definitely worth upgrading but in the not too distant future there will be newer chips, then you might wish you would have waited. I always hate that feeling! Many people would say to not worry about what's coming and just do the best you can right now. I guess it all depends on how often you can afford to upgrade.

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

broadwell is not a new architecture it's only a die shrink, performance will be very similar to haswell only better power-consumption and skylake will be the new thing but it's due only for late 2015, so no reasons to wait you need a new CPU buy one now.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I personally think paying the extra for the Asus board is dumb to just get a 2nd SATA Express port. SATA Express drives are shaping up to be as expensive as M.2 while being slower. In my opinion, wait for X99 (unless you want to work off the integrated graphics for something) and get one of the Asrock boards with their Ultra M.2 slot. We'll see PCIe 3 SSDs from Samsung soon based on their new VNAND tech in the 850 Pro.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

broadwell is not a new architecture it's only a die shrink, performance will be very similar to haswell only better power-consumption and skylake will be the new thing but it's due only for late 2015, so no reasons to wait you need a new CPU buy one now.

We might see AVX 3.2 appearing though. There are just a couple new instructions slotted to be put in, but yes, otherwise it's Haswell with a die shrink (not a bad thing at all as power efficient as the Haswell chips have been).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

We will see AVX 3.2 appearing though. There are just a couple new instructions slotted to be put in, but yes, otherwise it's Haswell with a die shrink (not a bad thing at all as power efficient as the Haswell chips have been).

AVX 3.2 will be for Skylake obviously

AVX 3.2 will be for Skylake obviously

It's POSSIBLY slotted for Broadwell, not that it would be hard given there's a 512-bit register in Haswell chips.

It's slotted for Broadwell, not that it was hard given there's a 512-bit register in Haswell chips.

Got a source?

Got a source?

speculation on extremetech based on two sentences from an interview. I should revise and say it might be. It's too early in Hungary :P