Am I able to mix RAM?

Jason Kimmings

I'm looking at building a pc. I have found the spec's in my price range but it only has 8gb ram, I already have a PC with 8gb ram, can I combine them to make 16gb, there from the same manufacturer but different models and different speeds

Thanks in advance

Yes, but the timing, frequency, and voltage must be set to the lowest, lowest, and highest respectively.

It will more than likely work, but depending on how fickle your board is there is a small chance that it will not be compatible.

Be sure to set your RAM settings to the correct value before inserting the RAM in, or else you won't be getting into BIOS.

Error: 410

I'm looking at building a pc. I have found the spec's in my price range but it only has 8gb ram, I already have a PC with 8gb ram, can I combine them to make 16gb, there from the same manufacturer but different models and different speeds

Thanks in advance

Ehm.... In some circumstances yes.. But reaaaalllyyy you defenitly shouldn't... Only if the ram speed, latency, voltage and size matches, you MIGHT be able to. Depends on the brand and model mixing. But it can cause a load of issues in terms of compatebillity and reliability. You REAAALLYYY shouldn't...

8GB's of ram will be more than enough anyways.. (depending on your usage). For heavy multitasking 8GBs will be enough, though if you are going for video editing on a more serious level, you should look into getting more.

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

There is another unofficial rule you should be aware of: only Kingston Fury X RAM kits of different colors should be mixed to allow for maximum aesthetics. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Ehm.... In some circumstances yes.. But reaaaalllyyy you defenitly shouldn't... Only if the ram speed, latency and size matches, you MIGHT be able to. Depends on the brand and model mixing. But it can cause a load of issues in terms of compatebillity and reliability. You REAAALLYYY shouldn't...

8GB's of ram will be more than enough anyways.. (depending on your usage). For heavy multitasking 8GBs will be enough, though if you are going for video editing on a more serious level, you should look into getting more.

Not really.. if you know what you're doing the chances of it being incompatible is extremely slim.

8GB of RAM is the minimum now. 16GB is for heavy multitasking, 8GB is for typical use and gaming, 4GB is for web/email/media.

Thanks in advance

if you do it on different channels it should be fine im doing that and im having no problems

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Not really.. if you know what you're doing the chances of it being incompatible is extremely slim.

8GB of RAM is the minimum now. 16GB is for heavy multitasking, 8GB is for typical use and gaming, 4GB is for web/email/media.

I wonna know what you do to use up 16GBs for multitasking........ Running 3 games at a time, video editing and have 50 chrome tabs opened?

In my mind, heavy multitasking would be having a game running - 10-20 chrome tabs and other utilities running. That alone wouldn't use 8GBs of ram.

The bare minimum is still 4GBs, in my opinion. But it defenitly depends on who you are, so I guess the idea of what "heavy multitasking is" changes from person to person aswell.

Now I don't know the OPs knowledge and his intend, but something tells me he is not exactly a hardcore power user and enthusiast... (atleast not yet! :D )

Hence I'd recommend not going past 8GBs if your not sure if your going to need more. (Because if you aren't, you proberly don't need it).

But I'd like to know what exactly the OP does need it for, for this to of any use to him.

PS:. Celebrating 600 posts! :D

- Cool right?

I wonna know what you do to use up 16GBs for multitasking........ Running 3 games at a time, video editing and have 50 chrome tabs opened?

In my mind, heavy multitasking would be having a game running - 10-20 chrome tabs and other utilities running. That alone wouldn't use 8GBs of ram.

You don't necessarily have to use 16GB, more once you start getting close to 8 it becomes problematic. 16 is the next logical jump.

I have page file turned off to save my SSD and I'm sitting here with a few PDFs and maybe 20~40 tabs open and a few other programs at about 8GB usage.

If I were to open a game I'd expect it to go up a bit, but I have had a few games open at once and it's nice to be able to do that.

You don't necessarily have to use 16GB, more once you start getting close to 8 it becomes problematic. 16 is the next logical jump.

I have page file turned off to save my SSD and I'm sitting here with a few PDFs and maybe 20~40 tabs open and a few other programs at about 8GB usage.

If I were to open a game I'd expect it to go up a bit, but I have had a few games open at once and it's nice to be able to do that.

Well, I suppose when going nuts in google chrome you need more ram. But 20-40 tabs are not for the faint of heart :P

I know I use my PC alot, and concider myself a little more than an enthusiast and a power user, but I rarely hit 20.

I'm on 6GBs and the only time that's holding me back, really is when haveing 20 tabs opened, running something like an over-modded skyrim or KSP.

In such a scenario, I do need more - But would still be fine with 8GBs.

Again, we are all different, but if you do not know what you need, you proberly do not need that much.

- Cool right?