Now that my PC is silent, it's so weird not hearing fans.

FranBunnyFFXII

So I've been working on my desktop case for my laptop build and one of the unexpected results of it is silence.

The once noticably noisy laptop is now so damn quiet I cant hear it even in the middle of the night.

It's so eerie... I'm so used to hearing fan noise that I'm kinda blown away and weirded out by this.

I was never one to get that "hard on" or whatever guys call it, for silent operation, but now that I've achieved it by accident, it feels kinda baws. Like ohey I figured something out that lots of people have a lot of respect for, sweet.

I posted this on my facebook lastnight

This Gnosis build has to be one of the best ideas I've had.
I would have never guessed the laptop would actually get better cooling performance sitting inside of a case.

Open air the laptop idles at 60C and tops at 67C while under full gaming load and it' was definitely audible even to my half deaf ears.
Now it idles at 53~55C and hits 64~65C full load average temp inside the case, and is pretty much entirely silent.

Playing Tomb Raider 2013 in 2K HD+ or EyefinityDS(3200x900), it runs cool and smooth at 30+Average FPS on Ultimate settings.

Not bad for a laptop eh?
This is an absolutely fantastic PC adventure.

Note: The laptop is bios targetted to keep the GPU at 67C no matter how hard its working. so the fact that it stays below the max allowed temp is, very very impressive.

But I digress.

Silence is golden, Ducktape is silver, and I'm kinda sitting here a bit weirded out because i hear no fan noise anymore.

Anyone else with a silent pc feel this way when they worked towards it?

I think i need a virtual hug.

My NZXT Phantom turns into a gigantic vibrating black dildo when all 5 of my HDD's spin up. Wish my PC was silent.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

My friend has a Define R4 with Noctua fans and I'm just sitting here with a dust-filled craptop...

Interesting topic.  I have to say for me I can't have silence in my home.  At every place I have lived I at least leave the fan on in the bathroom so there is some sort of noise going on throughout the house.  As for a silent pc mine are quiet enough but have no silencing features added to them.  No way I would want a perfectly silenced pc and no way I would throw extra money at a pc to get that.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

ur all dumb, I put on my headphones and crank up my deltas.

Error: 410

Replaced stock fans with bequiet fans. First weeks was scary because I checked so often if they are still working lol. Full respect for silent pc's :) Oh you asked #Virtual Hug

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

Replaced stock fans with bequiet fans. First weeks was scary because I checked so often if they are still working lol. Full respect for silent pc's :) Oh you asked #Virtual Hug

Haha I know right?

I'm constantly checking my case fans to make sure they're still running.

Which is funny because I hand made those cables so i know they're good but Im still just so weirded out that there's no sound.

I need to replace my cpu heatsink, it's too loud and doesn't cool well (yep, it's the stock one). I'm no silence freak either, but it still feels uncomfortable knowing that your cpu isn't being cooled properly and getting a loud reminder all the time :P

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Haha I know right?

I'm constantly checking my case fans to make sure they're still running.

Which is funny because I hand made those cables so i know they're good but Im still just so weirded out that there's no sound.

500rpm ftw. BeQuiet's are way to Op :D SilentWings and Phobya NB eloop. Forever favourite fans.

gallery_107151_1621_104838.jpg

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

I'm a silence freak. Silence is addicting. I don't even want to run a laptop for very long because the little fan starts to bother me.

I've been through these phases:

Phase 1: Replace fans.

Phase 2: Replace components with lower power and quieter models.

Phase 3: Move PC to another room (and run long cables to peripherals).

I can still hear the damn thing through a door. I'm thinking the next phase would be building an acoustic foam barrier.

500rpm ftw. BeQuiet's are way to Op :D SilentWings and Phobya NB eloop. Forever favourite fans.

gallery_107151_1621_104838.jpg

Is that a NZXT case? looks pretty cool.

my eyes are crappy, so can you tell me which phantom case that is?