GTX 780ti with ~200$ motherboard or R9 290x with ~300-350$ motherboard?

Not sure which is the better choice, but I hope to get at least 4.8 ghz out of a 4690k.

what is the use of this build?

only gaming?

OC depends on your CPU not mobo

and mobo dont impact performance

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

GTX 780ti the extra 100 for the mobo won't increase performance just a little bit more expansion

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

All depends on the chip. The mobi doesn't really matter too much. The only thing you need to think about when buying a novo nowadays is the features. I run a 780ti off a $175 mobi just fine.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

if you use After Effects, 780 Ti.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I'm hoping to game at 1440p maybe slight video editing, and this is my first build so I'm new to some things

I'm hoping to game at 1440p maybe slight video editing, and this is my first build so I'm new to some things

which mobo are you looking at?

even a cheap Z97 board can do the job just fine

1440P Ultra eh? I will pick the 290X but stick to the $200 board

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

for $200 you can buy a very decent Z97 board.

I see totaly no reason why you should botter about those $300+ Z97 boards to be honnest.

Overclocking is still a matter of luck. And basicly a board arround $200 is very decent and not lowend, totaly fine.

So yeah my choice $200 mobo + 780Ti then.

Or $200 mobo, Sapphire 290 Vaport X and i7-4790k.

The 100 bucks you cheap out on that mobo + the 290 vaporX is allot cheaper.

Those savings together would you make able to purshase a 4790K

For gaming the i7 may look like overkill, but Watchdogs realy seem to love it.

780 ti + $200 dollar motherboard, a sabertooth wont really give you extra performance. ( I know it's sexy but better get the 780 ti) lol

Intel Core i3 4150, Asrock H97 ITX AC, MSI TWIN FROZR GTX 770 OC, Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 @ 1600 mhz , Rosewill Capstone 550W, Obsidian 250D.  :D 

For $200 you can get a great z97 motherboard.  Don't see the need for any motherboard in the $300 range unless you're doing extreme overclocking or just want it because it's the best.  Best to spend that money somewhere else.

Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.

Get a Maximus VII Hero, paired with whatever you prefer branded 780Ti if you're looking high end. An extra $100+ on a motherboard won't give you what you need.

I would even consider going an R9 290X (Preferably Sapphire Tri-X), a Maximus VII Hero, along with an i7 4790k. Allocate the extra money somewhere else, case, case fans, RAM, an extra 128GB SSD; or I mean... you could just save the money for the sake of saving dolla dolla. 

Why would you need to buy higher end board if you can still buy the cheaper one? Do you really need $200 board in first place?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Here was the question I was asking myself!
(If you don't mind me sneaking this way) :P

I currently have an EVGA P67 FTW Mobo and I really want to change it due it's horrid latest BIOS. The issues is: I'm buing a gtx 780 soon, and I have an i72600k. I want to keep my CPU because it has worked fine and temps are awesome, even when OC. So following this, I want a new 1155 socket MOBO with a nice stable BIOS, what do you guys recomend?
Or should I keep my MOBO and just flash to an older, more stable BIOS?

if you use After Effects, 780 Ti.

*or Premiere Pro

Every board and its quality.

Buying a better board won't increase your performance but much more features.

If you don't mess around with the BIOS take the non cost board, even if you want to overclock.

A cooler and a thermal paste quality will determine tempetures and efficiency of your overclock.

Games nowadays do barely gain from overclocking, you'll earn really small FPS difference.

Moreover, I suggest getting a good aftermarket cooler, water cooling or air cooling (like NH-D15) to get your CPU in a position where it doesn't have to go above 80-90C* .. You catch my drift? More heat = less performance but not always.

In short? My recommendation? Choose what is best for YOU. You want a quality board on a premium card? Go ahead.. These both cards perform excellently well in games 1080p with high FPS. No regrets.

But if you want something less for a premium card, go with that too, it won't be different than the high quality board anyway.. Just less features

And different material(depends on the series and the company/manufacturer).

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Why would you need to buy higher end board if you can still buy the cheaper one? Do you really need $200 board in first place?

Well if you want a decent and stable overclock, which you can let on wenn you are away to the supermarket.

i would suggest that atleast you want a decent powerdelivery on your motherboard.

Offcourse overclocking is still a matter of luck, but i would personaly not do it with a > $100 lowend board to be honnest.

But a sub $200 board should be totaly fine.

Those $300+ board are just rediculous, i dont understand why somebody would even botter about those boards.

Especialy if you look at it from a gaming standpoint, those $300+ boards do not give you any extra usefull feutures over a sub $200 board basicly. (better invest in the gpu)

If you look at it from a productivity side, then yes maybe some feutures that the Asuz Z97 WS for example, has to offer, could be handy.

But i think for a productivity point of view, there a diffrent platforms to look at, socket 2011 for example.

Well if you want a decent and stable overclock, which you can let on wenn you are away to the supermarket.

i would suggest that atleast you want a decent powerdelivery on your motherboard.

Offcourse overclocking is still a matter of luck, but i would personaly not do it with a > $100 lowend board to be honnest.

But a sub $200 board should be totaly fine.

Those $300+ board are just rediculous, i dont understand why somebody would even botter about those boards.

I didn't mean that sub $100 board would be the one. There are plenty of nice boards in $100-200 range. Its more likely to pay just for brand when you go over $200 limit.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I didn't mean that sub $100 board would be the one. There are plenty of nice boards in $100-200 range. Its more likely to pay just for brand when you go over $200 limit.

yes definitely. There are plenty of nice and decent boards in that price range, especialy for a gamer.