r9 290x?

theam123

Hello guys.

I've been wondering. Which r9 290x is the best, if you may call that?

I'm going for a kinda theme build (red/black) and thought that the Asus Matrix r9 290x would be a good idea. 

But right now I'm a little confused. 

I see 1 store it sells for 2023DKK and another for 4477DKK (1USD=5.6DKK)

So as it seems right now it's either really cheap or overpriced for a "Normal" r9 290x. 

But then I thought. Why not come here and ask for guidence. Is the r9 290x matrix worth it, or should I go for another non-rerefence r9 290x?

Get the cheapest non reference one from Asus, Sapphire, MSI, Gigabyte if you want to save money you could also get a 290

Hello guys.

I'm going for a kinda theme build (red/black) and thought that the Asus Matrix r9 290x would be a good idea. 

So as it seems right now it's either really cheap or overpriced for a "Normal" r9 290x. 

But then I thought. Why not come here and ask for guidence. Is the r9 290x matrix worth it, or should I go for another non-rerefence r9 290x?

The best of the best would the Sapphire Vapor-X or the MSi Lighting. The XFX DD, MSi Twin Frozr and Powercolor are great too.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

The best of the best would the Sapphire Vapor-X or the MSi Lighting. The XFX DD, MSi Twin Frozr and Powercolor are great too.

Only thing is that I can't seem to find any total blacks, beside form the XFX or MSI. And I'd go for the XFX then, but it's a bit more expensive than the others.

Hello guys.

I agree with the above, after researching a bunch (which I should have done with my first build -.-) the Vapor-x and lightning are really great cards. However, you can get a Tri-X version (just slightly less better than the vapor-x) for cheaper. If you want to go super-budget you could get on Ebay and look around as well!

I agree with the above, after researching a bunch (which I should have done with my first build -.-) the Vapor-x and lightning are really great cards. However, you can get a Tri-X version (just slightly less better than the vapor-x) for cheaper. If you want to go super-budget you could get on Ebay and look around as well!

How much "worse" is the XFX compared to vapor-x, tri-x or lightning ?

Only thing is that I can't seem to find any total blacks, beside form the XFX or MSI. And I'd go for the XFX then, but it's a bit more expensive than the others.

That's too bad. On Amazon US the XFX is the cheapest out of those. The Powercolor is all black too but it's price is in the Lighting/Vapor-X range. You could paint the red accent on the Twin Frozr. Another option is getting the Asus version, you can remove the color accent plates making it all black. P.S: they've fixed the whole heatsink issue. 

This should help.

Too bad the Powercolor and Sapphire cards aren't amongst them but it gives you an idea of how the other options stack up.

That's too bad. One Amazon US the XFX is the cheapest out of those. The Powercolor is all black too but it's price is in the Lighting/Vapor-X range. You could paint the red accent on the Twin Frozr. Another option is getting the Asus version, you can remove the color accent plates making it all black. P.S: they've fixed the whole heatsink issue. 

Ahh okay, well that's an option.

because I've considered either the xfx, but the backplate is ugly (can of cause get some backplate to cover it) or the r9 290x matrix because it would fit perfectly with the theme. But it's up in the vapor range too.

This should help.

Too bad the Powercolor and Sapphire cards aren't amongst them but it gives you an idea of how the other options stack up.

well basically they all work pretty good together, and as he said there is only about 4 FPS difference. So I should just go with the card that I "like" the most, and has the best reputation.

well basically they all work pretty good together, and as he said there is only about 4 FPS difference. So I should just go with the card that I "like" the most, and has the best reputation.

Yup. Based on the results and you doing a red/black build, I'd say go with the Twin Frozr and call it a day. The excluded cards potentially being too expensive anyway.

Yup. Based on the results and you doing a red/black build, I'd say go with the Twin Frozr and call it a day. The excluded cards potentially being too expensive anyway.

Thanks a lot for your help !

R9 290 power color pcs+

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Thanks a lot for your help !

You're welcome :).

A lot. Look into PowerColour's PCS+, it's all metal and black, with a black backplate. It is one of the best 290 series cards.

I have the XFX R9 290X Double Dissipation Black Edition and I'm happy with it :) Quiet, cool and powerful... and it looks good! :)

Current Rig: FX-8350 - XFX R9 290X DD BE - 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz DC

Next to buy: I7 5930K, 16GB Quad Channel DDR4, MSI X99 SLI PLUS (?), GTX 880 or GTX 980 (with DP 1.3), 24' 120/144 Hz UHD Monitor

The XFX DD "Ghost Technology" Cooling is pretty bad...

The performance of their GPU cooler hasn't been good since they introduced the "Thermal Ghost" cooling solution back with the HD 7000 series...and using it again on the R200 series...

http://www.legitreviews.com/xfx-radeon-r9-290-double-dissipation-video-card-review_138612/12

The XFX Double D R9 290 was one of the quietest cards that we have tested in some time with a reading of 38.7 dB at idle and just 40.2dB at load. We are glad it runs so quiet, but we aren’t happy that it runs so quiet with the GPU running at 93C

The XFX Radeon R9 290 Double Dissipation video card has the fan set to run at 45% at full load and while the GPU hums along at 93C we found that VRM1 gets extremely hot. In fact, we found that it would hit 128C and throttle.
After searching the internet a bit we also found a thread on [H]ard|OCP that was four pages deep with people concerned with high VRM temperatures on this exact card.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xfx_r9_290x_dd/16.htm

Overclocking shows that when the fan speed is maxed out, the reference cooler is actually the better performer based purely on the thermals.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/66491-sapphire-r9-290-vapor-x-oc-review-8.html

The Vapor-X R9-290 is overclocked higher than the XFX DD R9-290, yet the temperatures are the same.

If you then look at the thermal images, the Vapor-X is much cooler.

290-VAPORX-54.jpg 290-VAPORX-55.jpg

Image on the left: Vapor-X. Image on the right: XFX DD.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/70913-sapphire-radeon-r9-290x-vapor-x-4gb/?page=10

The Vapor-X card is all about maximum cooling performance, and credit where it's due: others have had difficulty in taming AMD's top-of-the-range GPU, but Sapphire has had no such problems.

graph-09.png

As of now, the best would be:

• MSi's Lightning and TwinFrozr,
  • Sapphire's Dual-X / Tri-X / Vapor-X
  • PowerColor's PCS+
  • HIS's IceQ X2

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

XFX has as good support as Hilter did morals.

Just get the cheapest one. Unless you plan to overclock balls to the walls but other than that there is no point in spending extra. That's what I learned when I got my Vapor-X.

hehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehheh SWIGGITY SWOOTY I'M COMING FOR THAT BOOTY hehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehheh

huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue LINIXTEKTEPS R DE BES I LUV LINUX huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue