Why does my PC think it has AMD?

Anza Power

I have Intel processor and Nvidia graphic card, nothing in my PC is AMD, but yesterday I was looking at the environment variables defined and saw that I had variable %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE% and it had value "AMD64", even though I also had %PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER% and it had value "Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel", what gives?

post-80212-0-95649300-1407355301.jpg

pretty sure AMD64 is just another name for 64bit

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Think AMD came up with the 64bit architecture that most current 64bit cpu's used today

Win 10 Pro 64bit| Intel i5-4670k| Corsair H100i| ASUS Maximus VI GENE| 2x8GB PC3-14900 Corsair Vengeance Pro Red| MSI GeForce GTX 1070 | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro SSD| WD 3TB Red | WD Black 3tb | Corsair Obsidian 350D| Corsair AX760 | Dust |

Think AMD came up with the 64bit architecture that most current 64bit cpu's used today

That's what I'm going to go with. Doesn't Intel license it from them?

Imagine all the Intel fanbois going crazy because their processors are labeled AMD64

64-bit processors were first made by AMD, so you have i386 for 32-bit and AMD64 for 64-bit.

Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad T61 Widescreen 15.4" 1680x1050
Intel Core2Duo T8300 2.4GHz | 3GB DDR2 from Hynix | SATA II Patched bios (Middleton) | Samsung EVO 850
Arch Linux | Linux 4.3.X x86_64

Small corrections.

AMD didn't invent 64-bit CPUs. They invented the add-on system to the Intel x86 architecture to execute 64-bit versions of the instructions set and also provide new instructions set which provide added security and performance to applications.

AMD64 is the name of it that AMD decided to call. It is also refereed as x86-64, but incorrectly as 64-bit or x64, as 64-bit assumes that the CPU can ONLY execute 64-bit instructions, and x64 assumes a new architecture, which it isn't. BUT, for simplicity sakes, and for us to easily identify them and not get confused, we use x86-64 or 64-bit or x64 depending on the topic or personal choice, as we know we are talking about AMD64, an Intel x86 architecture CPU with 64-bit instruction set support added.

Intel licenses AMD64 from AMD for their current CPUs with the exception of Itanium, Intel own 64-bit CPU, which can only process 64-bit instruction, and due to the architecture difference, can't run the normal software we enjoy, even if they are in 64-bit, as the CPU works completely differently.

And, AMD is licensing the x86 architecture to make their CPU, as x86 is a patented creation from Intel.

That's what I'm going to go with. Doesn't Intel license it from them?

I have Intel processor and Nvidia graphic card, nothing in my PC is AMD,

but yesterday I was looking at the environment variables defined and saw that I had variable %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE% and it had value "AMD64",

even though I also had %PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER% and it had value "Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel", what gives?

if i have invent the wheel, and "everyone" is using it

it became a bit irrelevant the original name (with the time)

AMD64 is "the true name" of the 64 bits machines (regardless the licence)

but don't worry friend ^_^  

your PC is still... "intel inside"  :lol: lol

It would probably say i386 if it was a 32-bit CPU.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.