Normal looking gaming laptop

Xanilima

Hi,
I'm an owner of a Fractal R4 tower computer but it's just too big for me and I plan on selling it and buying a gaming laptop. Here comes my question: what are good gaming notebooks (preferably with 14-15 inch screen) that look just like your everyday home laptop, that is without all the like ROG logos, MSI dragons and some crazy lights and glows? I'd like for it to be around 1000£ (1700$) and to be as thin as possible.

Thanks for all the help, 
Maks

i7 3770k 3,5GHz | P8H77 V-LE | 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz | Palit 660ti 2GB | OCZ StealthXStream2 | WD Blue 1TB | Fractal R4 Black

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Hi,

I'm an owner of a Fractal R4 tower computer but it's just too big for me and I plan on selling it and buying a gaming laptop. Here comes my question: what are good gaming notebooks (preferably with 14-15 inch screen) that look just like your everyday home laptop, that is without all the like ROG logos, MSI dragons and some crazy lights and glows? I'd like for it to be around 1000£ (1700$) and to be as thin as possible.

Thanks for all the help, 

Maks

the problem with these "normal" gaming laptops is that they get really hot, the extra thickness is used for more cooling space, so it doesnt get really hot because it has more powerful components than your average laptop

i dont know of any that fit your bill, sorry bruh

Yeah sager do some good models I second this

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Hi,

Thanks for all the help, 

Maks

Why do you not like the lights? I think it's just a plus if it has them cool but ignore it and focus on specs take a look into one of MSI's GE60 or GE70 maybe? Haven't taken a look at what they look like so sorry if it doesn't meet your expectations.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-V5-573G-54218G1TAII-Intel-GeForce/dp/B00K1VB368/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1407321683&sr=8-5&keywords=acer+v5+573g cheap thin and powerful enough and doesn't look like it's a gaming laptop. it has 850m, idk why in description it's 870m.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I wouldn't buy anything from a company that charges $35 to use decent thermal paste that's a joke.

I doubt that Asus, MSI, or any of those big laptop manufacturers use a thermal paste as good as Arctic Silver by default, either. What they use is probably of similar quality as Sager's default paste, but since Sager is a brand with an emphasis on being hardware customizable, they give you the option to select improvements.

And wanna know something interesting? The laptops you linked from Scan are from the exact same manufacturer as the Sager laptop, hence they most likely have the same thermal paste. Sager laptops are manufactured by Clevo, and looking at the link you provided, it appears Scan's 3XS Graphite series are Clevo laptops as well (much like Digital Storm, Eurocom, etc.)

I doubt that Asus, MSI, or any of those big laptop manufactured use a thermal paste as good as Arctic Silver by default. What they use is probably of similar quality as Sager's default paste, but since Sager is a brand with an emphasis on being hardware customizable, they give you the option to select improvements.

And wanna know something interesting? The laptops you linked from Scan are from the exact same manufacturer as the Sager laptop, hence they most likely have the same thermal paste. Sager laptops are manufactured by Clevo, and looking at the link you provided, it appears Scan's 3XS Graphite series are Clevo laptops as well (much like Digital Storm, Eurocom, etc.)

Yeah it's a Clevo chassis, my point was over the price of the upgrade not the offering of one.

Don't you think $35 for a 2 chip application of IC Diamond is unreasonable?

Yeah it's a Clevo chassis, my point was over the price of the upgrade not the offering of one.

Don't you think $35 for a 2 chip application of IC Diamond is unreasonable?

Ah, yeah, I personally wouldn't pay for it, mostly because I'd want to repaste it myself. I might estimate that the labor cost to manually clean off the old paste, repaste with Arctic Silver, and run a quick quality check is closer to $15-20, so maybe it is a little overpriced. But hey, I guess the less hardware-savvy get forced to pay extra, yet again.  xD

Ah, yeah, I personally wouldn't pay for it, mostly because I'd want to repaste it myself. I might estimate that the labor cost to manually clean off the old paste, repaste with Arctic Silver, and run a quick quality check is closer to $15-20, so maybe it is a little overpriced. But hey, I guess the less hardware-savvy get forced to pay extra, yet again.  xD

I expect they can select what paste they want used when they order it from the manufacturer but yes the non tech savvy get shafted at all times lol.

I think some of the GPU OEMs like EVGA/ASUS use Shin Etsu's compound which is pretty good.

Why do you not like the lights? I think it's just a plus if it has them cool but ignore it and focus on specs take a look into one of MSI's GE60 or GE70 maybe? Haven't taken a look at what they look like so sorry if it doesn't meet your expectations.

Thanks, but it has that MSI dragon on the back.

I don't know, I just like the feeling that it looks so generic, yet it's so powerful.

i7 3770k 3,5GHz | P8H77 V-LE | 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz | Palit 660ti 2GB | OCZ StealthXStream2 | WD Blue 1TB | Fractal R4 Black