Installing a fully modular PSU.

staykov

Hey guys,
Could you please do a video at techquickie on how to actually install a fully modular PSU? So many cables, I'm confused!

P.S.

Please use the Antec HCP 1000 :D

If you really are having that much trouble which cable plugs into what, your instruction manuals for the psu and the other powerd parts could help. linus isnt here to make a specialized video to help each and every person sepratly no offence.

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

Hey guys,

Could you please do a video at techquickie on how to actually install a fully modular PSU? So many cables, I'm confused!

P.S.

Please use the Antec HCP 1000 :D

It's pretty self explanatory.  Plug the cables you need into their respective connectors.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

It's kinda like legos. The rectangle goes into the rectangle and the square in the square. Look at the power ports on your separate devices and find the matching cables. You can also alternatively reference the user manual of the power supply. Then after that you should plug in all your cables for your devices route them and tie them down for efficient air flow. Then route the ends down to your power supply and plug them in. It's pretty easy to get it down by yourself. But I'd look up videos on handy tips for cable managing your cords : )

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

As others have said, refer to your manuals (psu, motherboard, HDD/SSD, GPU) and looks at some youtube videos. Since you have a modular psu, you don't need to use every single cable included with the unit. Just use the cables that are needed for your components.

Hey guys,

Seriously ?

The supplied manual shows how to do the install.

If you prefer demonstrations rather than the written word,then, virtually every "how to build a..." on YouTube has a demonstration of installing various  PSUs.

Fully modular can be the easiest to use as you only use cables you need.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I already read all the manuals duh... The box includes a universal one-fits-all manual and doesn't explain much about most of the cables.

P.S.

I love how people here tell me what Linus can and can't do, but at the same time it's other people who speak for him...

I already read all the manuals duh... The box includes a universal one-fits-all manual and doesn't explain much about most of the cables.

P.S.

I love how people here tell me what Linus can and can't do, but at the same time it's other people who speak for him...

Be calm friend. Let me see if I can help.

There are really only a few different connections in your PC, here is a quick rundown on where they go and what they do.

SATA power:

This plug goes to any hard drives or solid state drives that you have, the end looks like this:

g_74.jpg

CPU 8 pin power:

this guy usually goes on the upper edge of your motherboard, supplies supplementary power to the CPU socket. Note: this looks very similar to the PCI-e Power connectors but is usually split into 2 4-pin connectors hooked together. It will connect to your PSU in the same slots as your PCI-e power cables.

PCIEX68ADAP.C.jpg

24 pin Power:

This big guy delivers power to your motherboard and to the CPU socket. Usually connects on the right hand edge of the motherboard

atx-24-pin-connector.jpg

6+2 PCI-e Power:

This guy goes to any GPU's or sound cards you have. It provides additional power that the PCI-e slots cannot provide. Note: you may not need all 8 pins, if you gpu has a 6 pin connector, just separate the extra two pins (just like the photo) and plug in the 6 pin as needed.

14-PCI-E.jpg

There should be no way for you to plug these into the wrong slots on your PC. So dont fret too much about it. Your psu should be marked on the back what connector is the 24 pin, SATA and CPU/PCI-e. Just plug in the wires you need and store the rest away for future use.

It is usually easier (IMHO) to plug the cables into the PSU last and each component first, just makes routing easier. You can do this, dont worry too much.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Wow @Real_PhillBert,

Thanks a lot.

However how do I know whether to use a single 12v cable for my crossfire setup or two separate cables? For example a r9 295x2 quad sli setup requires you to use two separate cables even though you could probably power up the cards with one. I have r9 290x2. Each card has 1x8-pin and 1x6-pin connectors. Do I use both or?

I have that pc in my anthrax build. All the cables are labeled. Just plug them into their respective locatins then into your psu and you good to go. Save all extra cables for future upgrades as that psu will last you a good long while. Though im actually surprised that you went with that psu to be honest.

Wow @Real_PhillBert,

Thanks a lot.

However how do I know whether to use a single 12v cable for my crossfire setup or two separate cables? For example a r9 295x2 quad sli setup requires you to use two separate cables even though you could probably power up the cards with one. I have r9 290x2. Each card has 1x8-pin and 1x6-pin connectors. Do I use both or?

You should just need two cables one for each gpu. You could run 4 if your worried. I did it on mine as the extras got clipped off during sleeving for a cleaner look.